Commission to discuss additional octopus protection

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Jason Wettstein
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Commission to discuss additional octopus protection

Post by Jason Wettstein »

Hello,

I thought you may be interested in this upcoming discussion.

Best regards,

Jason Wettstein (new to this forum, certified diver since 2005)
Community Relations
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

==============================

NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
April 3, 2013

Commission will consider hunting rules,
discuss additional octopus protection

OLYMPIA – The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission will consider adopting 17 new hunting rules for the upcoming season and receive a briefing on options for extending greater protection to Puget Sound’s giant Pacific octopus population at a public meeting next week in Olympia.

The commission, a nine-member citizen panel the sets policy for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), will convene April 12-13 on the Capitol Campus in Room 172 of the Natural Resources Building, 1111 Washington St. An agenda is available at http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/2013/.

One new hunting rule under consideration by the commission would allow bow hunters to use illuminated arrow nocks, which can be helpful in finding and retrieving arrows. Another would restore antlerless elk opportunities for archery hunters in Yakima County, specifically in game management units 352 (Nile) and 356 (Bumping).

Those and other hunting proposals scheduled for a vote are available online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regulations/de ... #12-19-007.

WDFW fishery managers will also brief the commission on options recommended by an ad hoc advisory group for increasing protection for the giant Pacific octopus population in Puget Sound. Last November, the commission received three petitions requesting amendments to sportfishing rules after a giant Pacific octopus was legally harvested from the waters of a popular dive site at Seacrest Park in West Elliot Bay.

The commission is not scheduled to take action on octopus rules at the upcoming meeting, but may do so at a later meeting.

In other business, WDFW staff will brief the commission on:

• The proposed transfer of the department’s Hunter Education Division and certain wildlife-conflict responsibilities from the Enforcement Program to the Wildlife Program.

• The 2012 Puget Sound crab season.

• WDFW’s Americans with Disabilities Advisory Committee.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Commission to discuss additional octopus protection

Post by CaptnJack »

welcome and thanks for keeping us informed
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Hello Jason! Welcome to NWDC.

If you could peruse over our dedicated GPO Protection initiative section and post updates and additional information you might get over there, that would be great. :partydance:

Here --> http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewforum.php?f=47

Koos
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

kdupreez wrote:...
Koos
Koos,

When I try to access that link, it shows an error msg saying that I don't have permission to access it.
???

Thanks,
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

mz53480 wrote:
kdupreez wrote:...
Koos
Koos,

When I try to access that link, it shows an error msg saying that I don't have permission to access it.
???

Thanks,
MZ
same here.... apparently i suck... :angry:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Ah crap, I think you have to be subscribed to that internal link..

Sorry, I thought it was an open sub forum.. disregard everything I said before :BDub:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Secret forum.. None shall read..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

kdupreez wrote: disregard everything I said before :BDub:
what was that you said????
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy