ID help with nudibranch

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
LCF
I've Got Gills

ID help with nudibranch

Post by LCF »

During our recent trip to God's Pocket, Peter found a small (about 1 cm) nudibranch which appears to be a Doto species. I don't think it's an amyra, from the photos I could find, but I'm not sure what it was. Can anyone help with identification?

"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Re: ID help with nudibranch

Post by johndo88 »

Afraid I can't help you with the ID, but my wife and I have penciled in a trip to Gods Pocket for August. Can you do a write-up on your experience at Gods Pocket and either post it PM it.

Thanks
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm working on the report -- being that it's one of mine, it's wordy :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I'd call it Purdius-Nudibranchius-LCF
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I'm thinking it's a Stubby Dendronotid or from the stumpy looking things, perhaps a Hammerhead Doto...or a Spotted Triopha. My book, "Eastern Pacific Nudibranchs" doesn't seem to have anything like it and it is hard to tell gill area and other markings.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm pretty sure it's not a spotted triopha -- they don't have the large, irregular cerrata. And I don't think it's a Doto amyra (hammerhead doto) because all the photos I can find of those have very regular, christmas-tree shaped cerrata, with regular white spots. I agree that it's unfortunate that you can neither see clearly defined rhinopores nor gill plumes in the photo, and neither of the pictures Peter got show them.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Lynn, You stumped the experts! here is what Dave Behrens had to say.
"I have no idea about the Dendronotus - maybe a wild D. venutus (=D. frondosus)"