Critter Behavior Help

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Critter Behavior Help

Post by Scubie Doo »

During a couple dives at Sund Rock, I noticed a couple Sea Cucumbers standing up. They looked like they were going to attack a Plumose Anemone. I took this pic of one and it appears to be releasing sperm. I have seen the "stand up" behavior before, but never one right next to a Plumose Anemone in "attack" mode. Do the cucumbers attack the anemones? Do they eat them? Is there a reason they were next to Anemones while releasing their sperm? Boy, how I wish I had Jan's skills to photograph and write this up :notworthy:

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Critter Behavior Help

Post by Jan K »

Always interested in behavior of marine critters. I am pretty sure the sea cucumbers don't attack and eat the anemones. But you are right, they spawn posing like they are ready to :)
Years ago I tried to find more info. This is all I got:

And Happy Birthday !
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

+1 for what Jan said.
I've also seen this when they get next to starfish too.

Yeah, happy bday!
:bday:
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

No the Anemone is in no danger. Just a fluke he happened to be there. I have seen this behavior several times. Sea cumbers feed on algae on the bottom and would have no way to eat another critter. They also will stand up with their mouth parts displayed when the are starved for oxygen
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Jan K wrote:Always interested in behavior of marine critters. I am pretty sure the sea cucumbers don't attack and eat the anemones. But you are right, they spawn posing like they are ready to :)
Years ago I tried to find more info. This is all I got:

And Happy Birthday !
Awesome Jan, I knew I could count on you. And thanks for the bday wishes.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

mz53480 wrote:+1 for what Jan said.
I've also seen this when they get next to starfish too.

Yeah, happy bday!
:bday:
Thank you very much!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Dusty2 wrote:No the Anemone is in no danger. Just a fluke he happened to be there. I have seen this behavior several times. Sea cumbers feed on algae on the bottom and would have no way to eat another critter. They also will stand up with their mouth parts displayed when the are starved for oxygen
Thanks Rich. I thought it might be a fluke, but when I saw two separate cukes right next to the anemone I second guessed myself.