Is This What I Think It Is?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Is This What I Think It Is?

Post by dwashbur »

Okay, Janna, I need your help here. We found at least three of these out on the mud flats across from the yellow house in Hoodsport last night, and I'm pretty sure it's a longspine combfish. But before I declare it too loudly (read, put it in a REEF survey), I want to be sure. Yea or nay?
combfish3.jpg
combfish2.jpg
Here he is with his comb up, the only time we saw him do that. He seemed to be either lethargic or asleep. I'm still wondering about the O2 levels in the Canal...
Here he is with his comb up, the only time we saw him do that. He seemed to be either lethargic or asleep. I'm still wondering about the O2 levels in the Canal...
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Re: Is This What I Think It Is?

Post by nwscubamom »

Yes indeedy, a Longspine Combfish!!
It's pretty early - REALLY early in fact, to be having Low O2 problems in Hood Canal. I highly doubt that is the situation.
It could have been 'sleeping'. Really. Lots of skittish fish can often be seen totally still on night dives because of that.
Congrats!!!
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

I've seen quite a few of them and they don't see very active as you can get right on them to get pictures. Lots of other big fish coming up too. Maybe because of the warmer weather early this year it is already starting to happen?
It's a good day.... nobody died!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

As of right now (June14th) in Hoodsport, the DO is not a problem even down at the ~80m depth.

http://orca.ocean.washington.edu/data_hoodsport.html
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

OK. That was purely a SWAG on my part, because most of the rockfish we saw seemed lethargic, too. Maybe they're just that comfortable around divers!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Finding 3 in a single dive is unusual, but they are certainly present. Good spotting!