Report on Ocean Acidification

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Report on Ocean Acidification

Post by YellowEye »

Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Report on Ocean Acidification

Post by Desert Diver »

So large quantities of pure CO2 are bubbling into the water there and a few hundred yards away the reef is fine?
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

The venting probably gets diluted in between the nearby healthy reef. Dilution probably won't help much when the deepwater co2 upwells.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Thanks for posting.

One thing I find disturbing is that all the past predictions seem to be coming true much faster than originally predicted.

The mouth of Puget Sound (Neah Bay) is ground zero for ocean acidification in the Pacific NW. It will be interesting if we divers can help detect changes in sea life out there, over the next many years...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Biodiversity_Guy wrote:The mouth of Puget Sound (Neah Bay) is ground zero for ocean acidification in the Pacific NW.
I thought it was Taylor shellfish? They already have to raise their oyster spat in Hawaii because they can't grow in south Puget Sound, the middle of the Pacific is apparently less impacted for now.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Cliff Mass, UW climatologist. Not sure his oceanography is all that savy, but his blog is good.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2013/10/o ... hwest.html
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

CaptnJack wrote:Cliff Mass, UW climatologist. Not sure his oceanography is all that savy, but his blog is good.

http://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2013/10/o ... hwest.html
Thanks for finding this. pH is kind of hard to measure accurately and I wondered how they knew exactly what it was. Obviously whatever the actual cause there are hour by hour, day by day and year by year fluctuations that are much larger than the tiny changes that are said to have happened over the last 100 years.

I've worked with temperature measurement quite a bit and it is astoundingly hard to measure accurately. I often wonder if anyone has checked out a thermometer that was used to record atmospheric temperature 100 years ago and seen if it was calibrated the same as what they use today. We can use the freezing point and boiling point of water for reference, and I have, but they vary quite a bit depending on what is in the water, the atmospheric pressure, just where in the solution you have the probe, and how fast you are cooling or heating the water. Very easy to get close but very hard to get within the range of change people are claiming has happened, especially if using the same instrument to measure over a range of temperatures or using different instruments at the same temperature.

Brian
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

My take on Cliff Mass's post (and Craig Welch's article):

http://www.sciencelawenvironment.com/20 ... -critique/
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

dsteding wrote:My take on Cliff Mass's post (and Craig Welch's article):

http://www.sciencelawenvironment.com/20 ... -critique/
Don't you have to at least touch dive gear or something to post here?? :nutty: :stir:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »