New slug to me!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
LCF
I've Got Gills

New slug to me!

Post by LCF »

Peter and I did a night dive at Cove 2 last night (and what a dive it was -- viz was incredible, and critters were out in amazing force). At one point, I had found a lovely sailfin sculpin who was in an awkward position, and while maneuvering to try to get the best shot of him, I noticed something about the size of a small bean on a kelp leaf . . . and it was MOVING. I peered closer and became convinced that I had found a nudibranch I had NEVER seen before. I shot a bunch of pictures of it (should have sat there and shot more), but nothing came out fantastic. Nonetheless, I did get a photo, and I think this is Aglaja ocelligera:

If I'm reading the book correctly, the white crescent I thought was the front of the animal is actually the tail . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: New slug to me!

Post by mz53480 »

very cool!
Nice find!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Thanks for photographing and ID'ing a critter I have always been curious about.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

And now you will see them all the time :)
At least this is what I experience. Once I find a new critter ( which was probably always there in plain view ),
then I keep finding them often ...
And as far as head and tail goes, I have always hard time with Dendronotids.
But I agree with you, it feels great to find a new critter and add it to the list, regardless how many time somebody else saw it. Keep on hunting !
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I know what you mean, Jan! Once I found my first horned shrimp, I started seeing them everywhere.

But I have to thank you, personally -- the reason I knew what I had found was an Aglaja was from one of your Whidbey Critters pages!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Cigar butt nudibranchs....
"Let's go diving!"
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Spend some time in the eelgrass beds at Alki Junkyard or Pipeline... you will see a million million of these little guys (or someone who looks hella similar)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Likewise out on the mud flats at Les Davis.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com