Octopus Study

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
sarinae
Aquaphile

Octopus Study

Post by sarinae »

I am hoping that my dive buddies can help me with a little puzzle.

The 1st grade teachers assigned me to find a fun and interactive way for 1st graders to learn about octopi. Now, in the past they have visited the Seattle Aquarium, and that is all well and good. I notice that they often don't invest a lot of time learning about the octopus, but they do have fun.

Our classroom budget allows for a visit to the Aquarium or something similar, anyone have a suggestion for someone to come in and talk about octopi with the students, or somewhere nearby that they can get something a little interactive and interesting but more focused on octopi, sea turtles, and/or orcas? Our school is in downtown Edmonds. I looked at the Poulsbo and Port Townsend Marine Science Centers but they are a long drive and honestly don't have as much to see and do as the Aquarium offers.

I was sort of hoping that someone here might be a little bit of a local expert on octopi and willing to do something for the purpose of educating and inspiring some young people. I kicked around the idea of a dive at the Edmonds Underwater park, collecting some critters to show them, and then putting them back. I am not sure if that sort of thing is allowed though. I'd need a buddy willing to do something like that with me.

Anyone have a fabulous suggestion or idea? I'd love to explore something out of the norm for this. I hate to see students and teachers get in a rut and would like to challenge them to realize what wonderful diversity we have at our fingertips.

Thanks for any help!

Sarina
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Re: Octopus Study

Post by Scubak »

Talk to Russ Higley at the MaST center in Redondo and Highline CC..or Randy Williams...I 'm sure we can come up with something for your group!
K
"Let's go diving!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Talk to Laura James. Laura loves to do presentations for kids, and has some recent video footage of an octopus hatching.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

LCF wrote:Talk to Laura James. Laura loves to do presentations for kids, and has some recent video footage of an octopus hatching.
+1. Laura would be a great contact.
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

How do I get in touch with Laura James? I tried contacting Laurynn Evans too, she published some fabulous video at Cove 2 of hatching octopi. Is Laura on the Board?

You all have some great ideas, thank you!!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Laurynn Evens is working in Singapore now, she probably isn't a viable option.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Yes, I saw on Laurynn's site that she is in Singapore so I kinda figured that was the case, but thought she might have some ideas for me too. Must be nice to be a young person with no family to be able to just go and do whatever, dive wherever, sigh...... It is probably a good thing that I can't go back and do things all over again or I would be a dive bum somewhere exotic!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

sarinae wrote:How do I get in touch with Laura James? I tried contacting Laurynn Evans too, she published some fabulous video at Cove 2 of hatching octopi. Is Laura on the Board?

You all have some great ideas, thank you!!

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/memberlist.ph ... file&u=278
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

sarinae wrote:Yes, I saw on Laurynn's site that she is in Singapore so I kinda figured that was the case, but thought she might have some ideas for me too. Must be nice to be a young person with no family to be able to just go and do whatever, dive wherever, sigh...... It is probably a good thing that I can't go back and do things all over again or I would be a dive bum somewhere exotic!
Laurynn is the high school principle at her alma mater (Singapore International School). Not so glamorous as a dive bum :rofl:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 For Laura. She is great with kids and have done a few of these types of things for young kids.

Also a +1 for Laurynn as a great option if she was in town and depends on your time frame, she may be in Seattle visiting, so check with her.

Another great option would also be Scott Lundy. He spearheaded the GPO protection innovative and is great with kids and has a teeny one of his own and knows a lot about our GPO and also have GREAT coverage on this last hatch at Cove 1
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Hey Sarina, I emailed you back with my upcoming dates in Seattle as well as my Skype availability. As a full time educator, I'm always all over giving back to kids. :) Look forward to partnering with you!

And while yes, my "day job" definitely keeps me hopping with a load of work, it does open the door to some incredible diving opportunities... been ticking bucket list dives off my list like crazy! :) But true, when one is Ed Rooney by day, there is a certain, ehm, lack of glamour. :)

Look forward to seeing folks soon in Seattle as I'll be there most of the winter this year, sorry for the radio silence here but some issues with the spam filter = no posting when abroad... but looks like that's been resolved now. Have missed checking in with folks! And just know that there's an open door in SE Asia should any of you wish to come have some fun in warm blue water.

Take care,
Laurynn
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
sarinae
Aquaphile

Post by sarinae »

Yes, thanks Laurynn! I sent your generous response back to the teachers and I am waiting to hear what they want to do from here. You are so kind to offer to give up a portion of your trip, we appreciate it!
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Absolutely my pleasure. :) Just keep me posted and hopefully we can work something out.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC