A new find at Point Hudson

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

A new find at Point Hudson

Post by Dusty2 »

I dove with friends and fellow critter watchers Saturday at Point Hudson and thanks to having three sets of critter eyes on the job I saw my first ever adult Puget Sound King crab. Normally I see them up to about 3" across and then they disappear so it was a thrill to find a dinner plate size one at my favorite spot. Unfortunately it was just about turn time and the weather was getting bad topside so we hightailed it and I was both glad we bailed since we had 3 to 4' surf to fight getting out and sad that I had got no pix. Sunday the weather wasn't much better and no dive buddy so I figured it was time for big crocodile tears. Fortunately after a windy and rainy night I woke to blue sky's and light winds so headed back to the point geared up and made a B-line back to where he was on Saturday and luck was with me. I found him right away and we spent several minutes getting to know each other. I'm pretty sure he wasn't as thrilled as I was but I took a bunch of shots. Here are a couple.
0533wecu.JPG
0552wecu.JPG
0553wcu.JPG
As an extra reward there was this nice young GPO hanging out on a very colorful backdrop.
0442net.jpg
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: A new find at Point Hudson

Post by Jan K »

Great find Dusty !
Now when you got your pictures, point the crab our way, all he has to do is walk across the Admiralty inlet
and visit Keystone. My turn now :rofl:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wonderful!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I think it's amazing how all the parts of the king snap together, like a jigsaw puzzle to make an almost impregnable fortress.
0546net.JPG
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

The PSKC is hands down one of my favorite local critters. Gratz on your find!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Jan K wrote:Great find Dusty !
Now when you got your pictures, point the crab our way, all he has to do is walk across the Admiralty inlet
and visit Keystone. My turn now :rofl:
I could buy him a ticket on the ferry. :smt064
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I love them! They are incredibly hard to see, until you see one . . . and then you look carefully at every irregular "rock" you find, forever after.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Always fun to have a new find at a familiar site! Thanks for sharing.