Eerie flatworm

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dscuba
Aquaphile

Eerie flatworm

Post by dscuba »

Last Sunday I saw a pretty creepy looking flat worm (I think) at Redondo. It was tan or pink, around 12-15 inches long, 1-inch wide, had a definite flattening to it, and was very smooth with clean straight lines (no ruffles/frills). It looked like a long tongue. When prodded it would swim up in the water a few feet then drift back down.

I like to know the names what I come across, so are there any websites with good pictures of worms found around here that I could look it up in?
dscuba
Aquaphile

Re: Eerie flatworm

Post by dscuba »

It looked pretty much like this
http://sst2011-s202sci.blogspot.com/201 ... tworm.html

Anyone know the name?
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

It's actually a big nemertean or ribbon worm- Cerebratulus californiensis.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

dscuba wrote:Last Sunday I saw a pretty creepy looking flat worm (I think) at Redondo. It was tan or pink, around 12-15 inches long, 1-inch wide, had a definite flattening to it, and was very smooth with clean straight lines (no ruffles/frills). It looked like a long tongue. When prodded it would swim up in the water a few feet then drift back down.

I like to know the names what I come across, so are there any websites with good pictures of worms found around here that I could look it up in?

You touched something underwater? tsk tsk
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Desert Diver wrote:You touched something underwater? tsk tsk
I'm sure it was in the name of science! :rofl:
dscuba
Aquaphile

Post by dscuba »

At first it looked like the innards from some clam... So yes, in the name of science (or poking dead things).
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Greetings,

Here's a fun article from Ron Shimek on ribbon worms in general and cerebratulids like this in particular:
http://www.reef2rainforest.com/2013/05/ ... emertinea/
Note that the article has a photo of a worm virtually identical to the one shown in this thread.

Vermiculturally yours,
Alex