Sundrock CO Sole

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Sundrock CO Sole

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

I was cruising along out at Sundrock earlier this month when I glided over what looked like a flatfin tail sticking out from some vegetation. I swung back around and saw this.
sm Sole CO_4835.jpg
I tried to get a face-on shot.
sm Sole CO_4837.jpg
Cropped closer.
sm Sole CO_4839.jpg
Out in the open.
sm Sole CO_4852.jpg
I am calling this a CO sole. I can see why it gets it's alternate name of "Popeye".
sm Sole CO_4846.jpg
A fun encounter for me as I seldom encounter this species at Sundrock (aka my back yard :) )
Please let me know if I have mis-IDed.

As is obvious, more progress is to be made in getting proper flash balance. My left flash seemed to be working, except in the digital output. Progress, and more opportunity for progress. Any excuse to go diving!

++

And of course, Happy Holidays to all and may this next year be healthy, happy and prosperous for you and your family.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Sundrock CO Sole

Post by Dusty2 »

Definitely a CO sole. The tail alone was pretty much a giveaway. Interesting how it assumed the light coloration to blend in with the natural silt bottom. Cool find in the lower hood.

How is the nudie situation at sund? Haven't been there in a long time.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

How big was this guy? Agreed with Rich - definitely a C-O Sole. It is showing the patterns typical of a younger one (at least the younger ones I've seen) with dark near the eyes, and dark near the tail, and very light throughout the rest of the body.
Merry Fishmas to you!
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »