Looking for Photos of Poachers

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
njnigam
Frequent Bubbler

Looking for Photos of Poachers

Post by njnigam »

One of my professors at UW is writing an overview book entitled "Fishes of the Salish Sea" and he is looking for some photos of two poacher species. They're pretty rare but I'm asking around to see if anyone has photos of them. Here are the descriptions for both species:

Chesnonia verrucosa (Lockington, 1880c) Warty Poacher
The Warty Poacher is an extremely rare Salish resident, extending from the southeastern Bering Sea at Bristol Bay, the eastern Gulf of Alaska at Shelikof Bay, and southern British Columbia off Vancouver Island to central California off Point Montara. It is found on soft muddy bottoms at depths of 18 to 274 m. Only three Salish localities have been recorded: one from off Rosario Beach near Deception Pass (based on an underwater photograph), another from off Port Madison, and a third from off the northern tip of West Point near Seattle. This species was earlier known as Ocella verrucosa. (Jordan and Evermann, 1898a; Barraclough, 1947; Dryfoos, 1961; Gruchy, 1969; Bailey and Gruchy, 1970; Quast and Hall, 1972; Allen and Smith, 1988)

Stellerina xyosterna (Jordan and Gilbert, 1880f) Pricklebreast Poacher
The Pricklebreast Poacher extends from Icy Bay, Alaska, and off Fife Point on the northeast coast of the Queen Charlotte Islands, to central Baja California at San Carlos Bay. It is usually found on muddy or sandy bottoms at depths of 5 to 75 m. Its presence in the Salish Sea is based on a single 83-mm standard length specimen collected on 2 February 1965 by William E. Barraclough at a depth of 91 m off Sheringham Point Lighthouse on the southern coast of Vancouver Island in the Strait of Juan de Fuca. (Jordan et al., 1930; Schultz and DeLacy, 1936b; Freeman, 1951; Bond, 1959; Gruchy, 1970; Miller and Lea, 1972; Barraclough and Peden, 1977; Peden and Jamieson, 1988)

Thanks!
:bounceline:
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Re: Looking for Photos of Poachers

Post by Greg Jensen »

I have some crappy old slides of a male warty poacher, showing the colorful pelvic fins.
njnigam
Frequent Bubbler

Post by njnigam »

I just recently found out that he actually needed a photo specifically of the dorsal fin. Would you happen to have one by any chance? Also, my professor is Ted Pietsch. His colleague who is writing the book with him, Jay Orr, said that you would know both of them.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Unfortunately no, the dorsal fin isn't visible.