Nudi ID

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Nudi ID

Post by Magoi »

Did a dive at Fort Ward last weekend and I caught this nudi. Not a great picture, but is this a white dorid laying eggs? Have never seen the frill on a nudi before.
Attachments
Nudi with eggs.jpg
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Nudi ID

Post by Scubie Doo »

Looks like a diamondback nudi.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I'd say tritonia festiva although it sure is unusual the way it is posed. I will ask the experts for their 2psi
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Greetings,

I agree with Dusty2; it's probably Tritonia festiva but questions remain!

You might want to check your photos and memory of the sighting against what can be found here:
http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/tritfest

If you're not familiar with the Sea Slug Forum, be sure to click on the related links at the bottom of the page for more images.

Let us know what you find!

Sluggishly yours,

Alex
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

When I shot the photo I thought it was a tritonia festiva too. It was not until I looked at the photo that I had doubts. The rounded body and bumps were a surprise. The head does look like the t f. Thanks for the link to the Sea Slug Forum. There was a photo from 2002 in BC (Marli Wakeling) with a t f near an egg mass in which the t f has a rounded shape similar to the shape I saw. I also found this photo http://coldwaterdiver.net/cold-sub-aqua ... arousel-75 that shows the t f in a shape similar to mine. Am pretty sure now you guys are right on the ID.

Thanks.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Word from the Experts is Tritonia diomedea, So you can note this one as a new find. Congrats! :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Good job on the iD. That's pretty cool. I didn't notice the bumps on the body. So cool finding something new :)
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Wow. Thanks Rich. It is a new find for me. My first time to Fort Ward - saw 5 different nudi's on that dive. It is a good place for muck diving. Really appreciate this forum too - have learned much from it. :supz:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Where exactly did you go out? It says there is a dive park but no details as to where it might be. How about a dive report or dive site listing?
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Ok Rich, I did a dive recap with a few additional photos. The site is on Bainbridge, you enter at the boat ramp.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Thanks!