HUNT for RED OCTO BER –BER +PUS

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

Yes, I have seen the report and video on Red Octopus escaping from Copper Rockfish nibbling “This happened on our dive today” and decided to help other divers to find, recognize and identify “Reds” or “ROs”.

Majority of divers know how to look for GPO or better known as Giant Pacific Octopus.
You look for piles of crab and clam shells and then you look for a den nearby and look for distinctive white suction cups. GPOs are usually large and easy to spot however their smaller cousins Red Octopus are frequently missed because divers often do not know what to look for.
I have learned from Jan K that if you know what you are looking for and where to look for the whole spectrum of critters opens up in front of your eyes. :notworthy:
If you want to see more information and pictures what I have learned from Jan K finding e.g. Juvenile King Crab, Wolf Eels, GPOs in unusual sightings go to: “Moved from Whidbey Island Critters - in footsteps of Jan K”.
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22845

HOW TO SPOT AND IDENTIFY RED OCTOPUS (ROs):

What I have found out by experience is that you do not look for suction cups nor shell piles.

You first look for rough surfaces as I have noticed ROs love to blend in rough surfaces. I will show you the pictures.

Second, you look for slight discrepancies in the color from the background.

Third, you “train your eye” or if you want “train your brain” to recognize ROs eye. Yes, that is how I find them frequently.

The best way to distinguish juvenile GPO from ROs is by looking under the Octo eye. If it has three sticking out freckles then it is ROs.
Also it seem like when you either put video light or fire strobes the Red Octopus starts changing color from the background (grey, yellow or brown) to more red and maybe that is why they are call Reds.

Here are the pictures. Please note that the first picture in a sequence is the most important.
Please click on each picture you want to zoom in. Twice for largest zoom.

Sighting Number 1 Sequence:
Do you see a Red Octopus ?
After zooming. Do you notice the eye ?
After zooming. Do you notice the eye ?
PICT2264-Red-Octo.JPG
PICT2264-Red-Octo-zoom.JPG
PICT2270-Red-Octo.JPG
PICT2270-Red-Octo-zoom.JPG
Sighting Number 2 Sequence:
After zooming
After zooming
PICT2332-Red-Octo.JPG
PICT2332-Red-Octo-zoom.JPG
PICT2333-Red-Octo.JPG
PICT2335-Red-Octo.JPG
PICT2335-Red-Octo-zoom.JPG
Sighting Number 3 Sequence:
PICT5043-Red-Octo.JPG
PICT5043-Red-Octo-zoom.JPG
PICT5044-Red-Octo.JPG
PICT5044-Red-Octo-zoom.JPG
PICT5049-Red-Octo.JPG
PICT5054-Red-Octo.JPG
PICT5057-Red-Octo.JPG
I hope that my little Red Octo Friends / Comrades will not get upset with me that I reported on them to NWDC and will not send a little Red Octo Army after me. :rocket: :zots: :angryfire: :snipersmiley: God forbid.
Do "Right Things" rather than "things right".
Conquer your fears & you will be blessed with inner peace & serenity.

I feed "Good Wolf", learn from Eagles, smell Rose Anemones & dance with Sea Stars.
I respect ALL Creatures & Diversity.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: HUNT for RED OCTO BER –BER +PUS

Post by LCF »

This is actually valuable information, and thanks, Marek.

I say this because I did a dive the other day with three other people at Redondo. Two of us saw at least a dozen little reds. One guy saw . . . ONE. It's not that his buddy didn't see them AND point them out; it's that he didn't have the perception tools to recognize what he was looking at. I think it's that way for a lot of the more cryptic critters. I know that, after I saw my first horned shrimp, I started seeing them EVERYWHERE!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

The first sequence is a very good example of the ability of octos to blend in. Great eyesight, Marek!
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Hey Marek, you having fun yet?
-Curt (I'm committing the deadly sin of envy.) :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

Thank you Lynn, Jan, Curt ! :notworthy:
Your feedback gives me more encouragement to pick up new research subjects and topics.
Yes, I do enjoy Diving (I just came from another two dives today with good material for another posting), I enjoy to share what I learn as I go and I am having a blast working with such a bunch of Wonderful People and Professionals like You and of course Greg Jensen, Janna (NWscubamom) just to name a few. :notworthy:
I will also continue adding funny spin on topics as it makes it more interesting and memorable hopefully.
Stay tuned.
I have more topics and photos to publish already on the to do list. Just need time to process pictures and do the writing.

Cheers
Marek
Do "Right Things" rather than "things right".
Conquer your fears & you will be blessed with inner peace & serenity.

I feed "Good Wolf", learn from Eagles, smell Rose Anemones & dance with Sea Stars.
I respect ALL Creatures & Diversity.