record-setting octopus

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

record-setting octopus

Post by Greg Jensen »

Deep-sea octo guarded its eggs for 4.5 years

http://news.sciencemag.org/plants-anima ... ing-record
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: record-setting octopus

Post by Tom Nic »

That is absolutely amazing.

There is nothing for size reference, but it seemed to me that the egg cases were larger than the GPO eggs we see, and if the theory about longer brooding time = better survivability it might make sense that when they hatch they don't go into a pelagic state, but are rather ready to start scurrying around and doing what little octopuses do.

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Damn! Betchya she wished someone could've induced labor ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

So, I thought that the mommy octopus doesn't even eat during that period - think that's true of this species? How do you not eat for 53 months? :eek:
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

nwscubamom wrote:So, I thought that the mommy octopus doesn't even eat during that period - think that's true of this species? How do you not eat for 53 months? :eek:
Just heard an interview with the paper's author on CBC. He said that they offered her crab legs that she wouldn't take from their ROV.

The paper is published in PLOS, an open access journal, go read it yourself if you are interested.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver