Curious rockfish

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Curious rockfish

Post by fnerg »

This guy swam in circles around me for a full minute and a half for some reason...

phpBB [video]
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Curious rockfish

Post by BillZ »

fnerg wrote:This guy swam in circles around me for a full minute and a half for some reason...
It's rockfish mating season :hearteyes:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice!

What dive site was this?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Alki Fishing Reef. I've been trying to do more REEF surveys there, since it's a bit under-represented in the DB.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

fnerg wrote:Alki Fishing Reef. I've been trying to do more REEF surveys there, since it's a bit under-represented in the DB.
Awesome!

It looks like a pretty species rich site.

Excuse my ignorance, but is that a boat dive only?
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Tom Nic wrote: Excuse my ignorance, but is that a boat dive only?
Boat or scooter from shore. I can take you there sometime if you are scooterless. Its in 50-75ft of water, more rock piles than you can see in one dive.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Boat or scooter. It's about 25-30 minutes round trip by scooter at around 10 feet.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice vid!

He was probably hungry. Like remoras on a shark, he probably figured he could get some bycatch from you. I get this with trout all the time when I'm lake snorkeling. They come up right in front of me and hang out, they definitely seek me out.

There's a rockfish at alki junkyard that likes to get right near you when you're at the wolfeel den. I assume he's figured out that divers bring food for the wolfeel, and wolfeel don't swallow their entire meals, and that means food for him.

-Eric
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

CaptnJack wrote:
Tom Nic wrote: Excuse my ignorance, but is that a boat dive only?
Boat or scooter from shore. I can take you there sometime if you are scooterless. Its in 50-75ft of water, more rock piles than you can see in one dive.
Thanks - I'd love to do this site someday!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Vis will be good in late September. Send me a PM or email through the board and we can make a date. I can pick you up at Alki (Don Armeni) ramp. 2nd dive at someplace like China Wall (if you haven't been there before).

RJ
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.