Squat Lobsters!!!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Squat Lobsters!!!

Post by ScubaJess »

Hello Fellow Divers!!!

Happy Tuesday!
I just wanted to start a post about squat lobsters!
Ever since I saw them at Sund Rockwith YellowEye I can't stop thinking about them! :calvin:
They just make me super happy! I think they are the cutest creatures I've seen underwater!

I was just lucky enough to see a pair at cove 2 with Greatful Diver on Sunday during my deep dive class! Has anyone seen them at other locations?

Also are they really part lobster?

I wish I was diving today!
:) ScubaJess :joshsmith:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Squat Lobsters!!!

Post by Desert Diver »

You should see them when they grow up!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Do they get very big? The biggest ones I saw were about 3 inches long
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ScubaJess wrote:Do they get very big? The biggest ones I saw were about 3 inches long
They get to be about 24 to 30 inches long when they are all grown up. They are a deep water species at that stage of their life so you're unlikely to ever see one that big :luv:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Very unlikely!
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

If you have Greg Jensen's new book (Crabs and Shrimps of the Pacific Coast), Squat Lobsters can be found on page 181

If you have Greg Jensen's older book (Pacific Coast Crabs and Shrimps), they can be found on page 73

If you have neither (why not?) try this site: http://www.wallawalla.edu/academics/dep ... spina.html

Anomurishly yours,

Alex
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

Cat's out of the bag and there will be no squat lobsters for dinner.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Thanks for the link!!!
The squat lobsters I saw were much cuter and happier looking than that guy!!

I don't have either of those books, but I will add them to my list of cool stuff to buy! Thanks for the info!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

CaptnJack wrote:
ScubaJess wrote:Do they get very big? The biggest ones I saw were about 3 inches long
They get to be about 24 to 30 inches long when they are all grown up. They are a deep water species at that stage of their life so you're unlikely to ever see one that big :luv:
Um, no. Max size is a body length of about 3", roughly double that if you include the claws.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Greg Jensen wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
Um, no. Max size is a body length of about 3", roughly double that if you include the claws.
Damn I knew someone would spoil it for Jess eventually :angelblue:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

perpetually happy looking little things ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

Possession Point Fingers (South end of Whidbey Island)is the place I see Squat Lobsters pretty much on every dive.

Here is one picture that shows one more mature and larger individual. looking exactly like in Greg Jensen new book on page 181
Please note the more brown coloration of this one while all the smaller individuals are red.
Please look at the head of Penpoint Gunnel to the right for the size reference.

Make sure you click on each picture once to enlarge and second time for max resolution.
PICT9529-squat-lobster-gunnel-stick-looking-sponge-cute-zoom.JPG
Here are couple of more individuals, smaller & more red with Black Eye Goby as a reference to the size.
PICT2137-2-squat-lobsters-goby-trumphet-tubeworm-cute-zoom.JPG
PICT2139-2-squat-lobsters-goby-trumphet-tubeworm-cute-zoom.JPG
PICT2140-squat-lobster-cute-zoom.JPG
PICT2141-squat-lobster-cute-zoom.JPG
PICT2746-2-squat-lobsters-cute-zoom.JPG
Please note that unless you see the head well or main body shape, Squat Lobster front claws & arms may look very similar to Scaly (or Scaled) Lithode (or Lithodid) Crab. Scaly Crab is much bigger though.
PICT4485-scaled-or-spiny-lithode-crab-copper-rockfish-painted-greenling-zoom.JPG
Here is also the picture of what I believe is a Sharp Nose Decorator Crab (head is under camouflage) that might also look similar to Squat Lobster from this angle. Please note this individual is also more brown and found in Keystone Jetty.
All other pictures are from Possession Point Fingers.
PICT3217-squat-lobster-or-sharp-nose-decorator-crab.JPG
Do "Right Things" rather than "things right".
Conquer your fears & you will be blessed with inner peace & serenity.

I feed "Good Wolf", learn from Eagles, smell Rose Anemones & dance with Sea Stars.
I respect ALL Creatures & Diversity.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Looks like a really big male Oregonia gracilis- legs are too long and spindly for a sharpnose crab (Scyra)
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

Greg Jensen wrote: by Greg Jensen » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:12 pm

Looks like a really big male Oregonia gracilis- legs are too long and spindly for a sharpnose crab (Scyra)
Thank you Greg for the clarification on this last one !
Do "Right Things" rather than "things right".
Conquer your fears & you will be blessed with inner peace & serenity.

I feed "Good Wolf", learn from Eagles, smell Rose Anemones & dance with Sea Stars.
I respect ALL Creatures & Diversity.