Fish ID help

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dphershman
Aquanaut

Fish ID help

Post by dphershman »

I did a night dive at Redondo last night and saw this guy down around 45 feet. I don't think I've ever seen one before, at first I thought it was a snailfish of some kind but it was much larger and had protruding eyes.

Anyone know what it is?

Thanks!
Dan

Dan Hershman :smt024
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Fish ID help

Post by Jan K »

I think it is Blackbelly eelpout, I found many with same kind of blisters or tumors at Langley.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

oh my! if its a blackbelly it sure is in bad shape.

Thanks Jan!
Dan Hershman :smt024
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Yep, that's a sad-looking eelpout. I'd have to look at my notes, but as I recall those tumor-looking things are a type of flatworm. The high cockscombs at our place on Hood Canal have always had a high infestation rate.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I dug through my notes and found this, when I asked Jeff Christiansen about this many years ago, and here's his explanation. (in a nutshell, it could be several things):

"This fish is often found with bumps on its body. These can be disease processes, or parasitism or both. The fishes lifestyle of being in contact with the bottom and its preference for sandy/silty bottoms puts it into contact with a wide variety of contaminated sediments. I would be surprised if it wasn't parasitized or tumorous. Most of the silty bottom areas Northwest divers visit are harbor areas near rivers. As you know they are our most industrialized regions as well. This is an example of the toxins this type of animal is exposed to through its habitat and diet.

There are other species with similar problems. The eelpouts normal range is below the light zone. Bay gobies also suffer this same condition, possibly through similar causes. A deep or night dive below the aquarium shows similarly affected fish.

It can also be that there are a percentage of all animals that exhibit tumors or may be more susceptible to parasitism. The eelpout is normally found below recreational scuba depths. They make vertical migrations to shallower water at night. Animals that are less than healthy are often the ones least able to avoid detection or be found outside their normal ranges. It could be something as simple as this.

Another consideration is the hardiness of the species. Not all animals are equally resistant to environmental toxins or stressors. Eelpouts have historically been weak and fragile animals to try to keep in captivity. They do not do well in average aquarium conditions. They have been difficult to feed. It could be that a limited or specific diet could also increase the animal’s susceptibility to the presence of a contaminant in its food supply. Animals with a broader diet or forage range may be less affected by the same situation."

I've only seen infested ones at Redondo before. At night. And the only healthy one I've seen was on a night dive in Hood Canal at Ayers Point.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------