Do octos have 9 brains?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Do octos have 9 brains?

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
It seems an oft-quoted fact recently is that octos have 9 brains. I was trying to research that, but there seem to be some internet results that seem to indicate this is not the case. Anybody know?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Do octos have 9 brains?

Post by Jan K »

I don't know about nine brains, but:
Octopuses have three hearts. Two of the hearts work exclusively to move blood beyond the animal’s gills, while the third keeps circulation flowing for the organs. The organ heart actually stops beating when the octopus swims, explaining the species’ penchant for crawling rather than swimming, which exhausts them.
Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-n ... So6hE7Q.99

Cats with nine lives are another rumor :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Each arm has a large ganglia that controls that arm, so they sorta do- with 8 arms that bend in every direction, that's a lot of processing for the main brain to have to deal with. So a lot of the stuff is subcontracted out to the ganglia to handle. The main brain is probably the only place where any real thinking goes on.
Crabs have something similar, with a big ganglion in the body that handles coordination of the appendages. But visual and olfactory info is received and processed by the brain in the head.
Cool thing about cephalopod brains is that they are the fusion of two ganglia, one above and one below the esophagus. So anything they swallow goes through the middle of their brain as it passes down the esophagus.
And you thought YOUR ice cream headaches were bad...
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Good -- and funny -- information!
Thanks!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Wish I could LIKE Greg's answer...but that feature seems to have gone by the wayside with the 'upgrade'.
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------