Some kelp greenling questions from recent dives

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Some kelp greenling questions from recent dives

Post by YellowEye »

1) we recently saw a mating pair of kelp greenling. The male was twitching out as usual. We were watching them when suddenly the female started spitting out eggs into the water column. What is that about?

This is assuming I have the genders correct: male black, female yellowish

2) how many times per year do kelp greenling mate? We saw them on eggs and mating garb in the spring at Keystone. Now they're laying eggs again (at least at cove2)

Thanks!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Re: Some kelp greenling questions from recent dives

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Howdy,

According to Milton Love's book, Kelp Greenling produce 28 to 125 thousand eggs per year in three or more batches between July and January. He's not clear about where (geographically) his data come from so the timing may be somewhat different in Puget Sound.

Spewing eggs into the water column seems weird; they're 'supposed' to lay adhesive egg masses onto a solid substrate. Mature males that we've had at the Feiro Center have all been what I would describe as a fairly dark blue with lighter blue spots. I saw one of ours mating a few years ago and his body turned dramatically lighter when the female was present and then reverted to normal when she left the area; only the body color changed - the head stayed the same color. This all happened several times over the course of one afternoon but only resulted in one egg mass (the female was pretty small).
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Very interesting observation. I wonder if the Painted greenling you saw was attempting to commence hatching.
I was watching Whitespotted greenling "biting" eggs it was guarding, I did not see spitting, so it might be something completely different.
And I see Painted greenlings in mating colors and guarding eggs almost year around ...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Very awesome Jan!!!
It was really neat to watch those 2 greenlings! I felt like I was invading there privacy but it was so fascinating to see!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Good info!

Jan, maybe you were right. I thought they were mating due to the coloration and all that twitching and the fact they were so close to the eggs. But I zoomed into a picture and sure enough the eggs have eyes, which presumably you can only see later in gestation.

So maybe they were freaking out, bailing out eggs, trying to commence hatching, due to two huge "fish" that were hovering over their nest!
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Agreed, the first thing I wondered when reading this post is if you meant to say Painted Greenling as opposed to Kelp Greenling.
Painted Greenling males turn almost completely black with brilliant white spots. The females still retain their reddish bars, but the bars turn more brown when mating. And the male totally 'twitterpates' around the female. But I've never seen the eggs thing, that must have been really cool!
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

My bad!
Painted greenlings, you are correct!
Thanks for the info and correction!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Here's a picture I got from that dive. Those fish were acting so funny! It was cool to watch.
Attachments
image.jpg
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Yup Painted.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman