Newly hatched GPO

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Newly hatched GPO

Post by Grateful Diver »

Took this photo early this morning ... about 4:30 AM early, in fact. This is the fourth time I've ever witnessed a GPO hatching, and the second time with a camera. The first time was back in my point-n-shoot days and I didn't get anything worth sharing or keeping. And I thought that was going to be the case this time. Everything was falling into place nicely ... the weather was perfect, water was very clear and calm, slight current running north ... just enough to help hold position over the den. But upon dropping down I made two discoveries about my housing that I thought would end in another disappointing dive. First was that the Servo button I use for focusing was ... MISSING! It wasn't broken ... it just wasn't there. I was concerned that the housing would leak, but apparently it's sealed on the inside. (And with a trip to Neah Bay coming up in two days I don't have time to get it fixed). The second discovery was that, for some reason I still haven't discovered, my Display button wasn't working ... so I couldn't see what the pictures looked like after I took them. That meant I had no feedback on whether my settings or lighting was right. I was going to have to do this like the old film photographers and wait till after the dive to see what I got.

Well ... all I can say is this ... "Bob, you one lucky sonofagun" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Newly hatched GPO

Post by Linedog »

Awesome shot!!!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

FANTASTIC!
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

We are all lucky!! Thanks Bob.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Epic shot Bob!!!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Ultra cool! Do you know what the white part is?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

Egg yolk
From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.-Jacques-Yves Cousteau
verrinne
Compulsive Diver

Post by verrinne »

Yolk sac
From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.-Jacques-Yves Cousteau
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:Ultra cool! Do you know what the white part is?
First of all, Bob is the man! Thanks for the post and motivation to see this amazing event.

Eric, I watched one after another exit the den. Probably about 20+. They are very difficult to capture, so that makes Bob's photo even more impressive. Anyway, I followed one for a while and after 5-10 minutes it finally let go of the little white ball. Looked like something they may feed on while in the egg sack. Here are my captures (took 80 photos, got 4 keepers) :-) I tried to get a couple without the white thingy, but missed by a fraction.

I like this one because it shows how difficult the shot is. The camera focused on the squiggly thing in front of the Octo.

Again, thank you Bob for the discovery.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool Jesse and Bob! :) I can't believe how beautiful they are!

BOTH my cameras are out of service. AAAARGH!!!
I'm hoping they come back before the other sets of eggs hatch!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:Very cool Jesse and Bob! :) I can't believe how beautiful they are!

BOTH my cameras are out of service. AAAARGH!!!
I'm hoping they come back before the other sets of eggs hatch!
Thanks Eric.

Wow, that's frustrating.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

I got hosed during the squid orgy too.
Oh well, I'm not planning on quitting diving soon :)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:I got hosed during the squid orgy too.
Oh well, I'm not planning on quitting diving soon :)
Oh man. Hang in there :)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Great photos Bob and Jesse! You're motivating me to switch back to macro.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I found out how lucky I was when I got home from work yesterday. Picked up the housing to see if I could jury-rig something to replace that missing Servo button and the internal bits just fell out! In other words, the only thing that prevented a total housing flood during that dive was water pressure against the o-ring. Once removed from the water there was nothing to prevent it from leaving a gaping hole straight through to the camera. I'm lucky I didn't end up with a housing full of water!

Had to brave rush-hour traffic to get the housing in to Optical Ocean ... I'm leaving for Neah Bay tomorrow, and have a Hawaii trip coming up in early September. Fortunately, I have a "back-up" rig sitting, still in the box, to use while the housing's off getting repaired. Guess I'll have plenty of opportunity in Neah Bay to get used to it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Grateful Diver wrote:I found out how lucky I was when I got home from work yesterday. Picked up the housing to see if I could jury-rig something to replace that missing Servo button and the internal bits just fell out! In other words, the only thing that prevented a total housing flood during that dive was water pressure against the o-ring. Once removed from the water there was nothing to prevent it from leaving a gaping hole straight through to the camera. I'm lucky I didn't end up with a housing full of water!

Had to brave rush-hour traffic to get the housing in to Optical Ocean ... I'm leaving for Neah Bay tomorrow, and have a Hawaii trip coming up in early September. Fortunately, I have a "back-up" rig sitting, still in the box, to use while the housing's off getting repaired. Guess I'll have plenty of opportunity in Neah Bay to get used to it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Holy smokes! Thank goodness. The dive and photo gods were looking after you. Please share more photos of your upcoming adventures Bob. Have a great trip.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

WOW Bob & Jesse, such amazingly beautiful pictures!!!
I hope to see some baby GPO's in my dive adventures. You guys are so lucky!!!
Have a fun and safe trip Bob!! Glad your camera will be okay. :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Here are a few more from our dive yesterday.

Also, I did some research on the white ball. I believe it is a yoke sac for the hatchling to feed off. Have fun out there.