Crimson Anemones, Candy Stripe & other 2 Shrimps / Eualids

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Crimson Anemones, Candy Stripe & other 2 Shrimps / Eualids

Post by Marek Sk »

It has been a while since I have been looking for Crimson Anemones and trying to see if there is a shy tiny critter that is almost only found together with Crimson Anemones.

Andy Lamb in his book ""Marine Life of the Pacific North West" Says: ""Nearly always associated with the crimson anemone the candy stripe shrimp is a favourite of the underwater photographer. However, getting the shot requires stealth and patience. Good luck!"

Part of the problem was that I was always looking at the top of Crimson Anemone but actually all 3 shrimps /eualids are found at the bottom, near by or underneath the anemone arm. See the pictures below.

What I found interesting that there are also much smaller Kincaid's Shrimp and Shortscale Eualid (or Threespine Shrimp).

Shortscale Eualid which look a bit similar to candy stripe but do not have blue rings they can be found all over Puget Sound.
Andy Lamb does not mention any link to Crimson Anemone but there is another resource from our Well Recognised & Appreciated Member of NWDC:
Greg Jensen in his book "Crabs and Shrimp of the Pacific Coast". Greg writes:"Under Shortscale Eualid:"Juveniles can sometimes be found clinging to columns of large plumose anemones and also around Crimson Anemones"

It has been a while since I first discussed Candy Stripe Shrimp with another Underwater photographer - Drew Collins.
It was he who first pointed out to me that in order to identify Candy Stripe you have to verify it has blue rings.
I had many photographs as far as Titlow but Drew told me that both Crimson Anemones & Candy stripe Shrimps mostly reside northern Puget Sound and over 100s of dives in Edmonds Underwater Park he found there one only once.

Eric "Yellow Eye" mention about the book "The Salish Sea: Jewel of the Pacific Northwest". Drew Collins was a major contributor to this book.
You can find more about him from his website: http://www.photographyunderwater.net

Andy Lamb in his book ""Marine Life of the Pacific North West" Says: " Kincaid's shrimp: Though very often associated with the crimson anemone and in considerable numbers, Kincaid's shrimp is not always readily noticed. The white mid-rib along the pointed extension between the eyes or nostrum is distinctive"

{Update added 9/23/15}
It looks like there is also another Shrimp that may look like Shortscale Eualid but is bigger. It is Threespine Shrimp.
Greg writes in his book: "Habitat: Common subtidally in Puget Sound in a wide range of habitats.

If you want to see more Critters I found at Anacortes Skyline Marina Wall yesterday, you can go to:
"Moved from Whidbey Island Critters - in footsteps of Jan K"

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... 78#p269278

Here are the pictures of Candy Stripe Shrimp, Kincaid's Shrimp and Shortscale Eualid:

Please click on any picture if you want to enlarge.

Zoomed in:
PICT6780-candy-stripe-shrimp-zoom-mod.jpg
PICT8897-candy-stripe-shrimp-zoom.jpg
PICT8891-candy-stripe-shrimp-zoom.jpg
Original:
PICT6778-candy-stripe-shrimp.JPG
PICT6779-candy-stripe-shrimp.JPG
PICT6780-candy-stripe-shrimp.JPG
PICT8891-candy-stripe-shrimp.JPG
PICT8897-candy-stripe-shrimp.JPG
Here are the pictures of Crimson Anemones and their Surrounding Environment:
PICT6748-crimson-anemone-surrounding-cucumbers-closer.JPG
PICT6750-crimson-anemone-surrounding-cucumbers-closer.JPG
PICT6751-crimson-anemone-surrounding-cucumbers-closer.JPG
PICT6762-crimson-anemone-surrounding-cucumbers-closer.JPG
PICT6784-crimson-anemone-inside.JPG
PICT6791-crimson-anemone.JPG
PICT6747-crimson-anemone-surrounding-cucumbers.JPG
PICT6811-crimson-anemone-surrounding-area.JPG
Last edited by Marek Sk on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do "Right Things" rather than "things right".
Conquer your fears & you will be blessed with inner peace & serenity.

I feed "Good Wolf", learn from Eagles, smell Rose Anemones & dance with Sea Stars.
I respect ALL Creatures & Diversity.
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Re: Crimson Anemones, Candy Stripe & other 2 Shrimps / Eualids

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
I haven't heard of Shortcase Eualids. But yes, Kincaid shrimp are almost always nearby. Usually in larger numbers than candy stripes. I believe I read in the Salish Sea book that the Kincaid's eat the Snakelock Anemone, and the Candy Stripes serve to protect them. I think ScubaJess has a cool photo showing them both.

I find the Kincaid shrimp are usually facing downward on a slope, and look a lot like the daisy brittle stars, which are also often found nearby.

Candy stripe shrimp can be found beneath and on top of the snake lock anemones. They're very easy to miss because they're often more transparent or smaller than expected. Or on the back side of where your light is pointing :)
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Marek Sk
Avid Diver

Post by Marek Sk »

YellowEye wrote:Hi
I haven't heard of Shortcase Eualids. But yes, Kincaid shrimp are almost always nearby.
Thank you Eric Yellow Eye !

You caught my typo. It should have been Shortscale Eualid not Shortcase Eualid.
My apology to the critter to for misspelling its name too ;)

OK Here are my pictures zoomed in and distribution by site:
Until I had discussion with Drew Collins about 1 year ago these were my candy stripe candidates, they have red and white candy stripes but obviously the blue rings are missing.

Please note that I also made update today that these Shortscale Eualid candidates may actually end up being Threespine Shrimps.

Well, we live and learn all the time. I am sure Greg Jensen will comment on it and correct if it is not accurate.

Picture from Skyline wall:
PICT8891-candy-stripe-shrimp-shortscale-eualid-Skyline-zoom.jpg
Pictures from Titlow Tacoma:
PICT7749-ala-candy-stripes-shrimp-Tytlow-zoom.jpg
PICT7748-ala-candy-stripes-shrimp-Tytlow-zoom.jpg
PICT7717-ala-candy-stripes-shrimp-best-Tytlow-zoom.jpg
PICT0931-ala-candy-shrimp-Tytlow-zoom.jpg
PICT0928-ala-candy-shrimp--Tytlow-zoom.jpg
PICT5493-dragon-candy-shrimps-Tytlow-zoom.jpg
Here are multiple Shortscale Eualids or Threespine Shrimps and Coonstripe Shrimp to the right. This is captured also at Titlow.
PICT5492-dragon-candy-shrimps-Tytlow-zoom-multiple.jpg
Picture from Alki Cove 2:
PICT5015-candy-or-coonstripe-shrimp-horse-clam-Alki-C2-zoom.jpg
Picture from Redondo:
PICT8921-broken-back-or-candy-shrimp-Redondo-zoom.jpg
Picture from Rosario Head:
PICT6744-interesting-like-candy-striped-shrimp-interesting-tiny-red-sculpin-Rosarion-head-zoom.jpg
Do "Right Things" rather than "things right".
Conquer your fears & you will be blessed with inner peace & serenity.

I feed "Good Wolf", learn from Eagles, smell Rose Anemones & dance with Sea Stars.
I respect ALL Creatures & Diversity.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

The third species in your photographs is the threespine shrimp, Heptacarpus tridens.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Fantastic shrimp shots!! They always make me happy! :) glad you got so many varieties on film!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Here's my shot of a Candy Stripe Shrimp guarding its snake lock anemone from a group of Kincaids.
It's always interesting to watch shrimp to see what they will do next! :)
Attachments
image.jpg
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

That is a GORGEOUS shot, Scubajess! So colorful!
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Echo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Echo »

Yes They make me smile too!! The crimson anemone and candy-stripe shrimp just complement each other so well :)
-Erika
Grant Novak
Just Settling In

Post by Grant Novak »

Perhaps you know this, Echo, but I believe the white bulge on the candy stripe in your photo is a parasitic copepod tucked under the shrimp's shell. They're not uncommon at all but they often go unnoticed/unidentified in photos.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

A retired marine biologist friend, aged 90 at the time, endured considerable discomfort on a research boat in the Sea of Cortez. When asked why he would put up with all of that, he answered, "I wanted to learn a lot of things I forgot!" I am at an age that I can relate to this. Thank you to Greg, Grant, Marek, et al Following these threads is a delight.
-Curt :thankyouyellow:
Happy to be alive.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

The parasite is a bopyrid isopod
Grant Novak
Just Settling In

Post by Grant Novak »

I stand corrected! And gladly so. Mr Jensen can correct me any time. Thanks for the clarification.
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Happy Saturday everyone!
Here are a few more candy shrimp shots. :pirate: :partydance: :joshsmith: :taco:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Live Long And Prosper!!!