Octopus Hole Sea Stars

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dphershman
Aquanaut

Octopus Hole Sea Stars

Post by dphershman »

Mark and I went out to Octopus Hole yesterday, braving the rain and hailstorms that were sweeping through the area. With all the rain and wind we were expecting so-so conditions, but the viz was actually quite good, up to 30 feet.

I'm happy to report that there were quite a few healthy looking sea stars visible.

There were however a number of afflicted sea stars at the shallower depths (25 feet) primarily on the upper part of the reef. We saw a number of 'zombie' sea star arms that had broken off of disintegrating bodies.

I'm wondering if this is the way things will be from now on, a mix of healthy and unhealthy sea stars.

We only found one octopus in its den, but there were was an obvious recently hatch clutch of eggs under one rock. (too hard to photograph)

There were lots of mid-sized wolf eels, probably numbering 9 or 10 different individuals.

We hope to go back next week with our fingers crossed for great viz again .

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Octopus Hole Sea Stars

Post by Jan K »

I am afraid that once the water temperature climbs, so will the mortality of sea stars :(
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

nice pics! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Jan K wrote:I am afraid that once the water temperature climbs, so will the mortality of sea stars :(
the water temp was a uniform 51 degrees during the whole dive, but it seemed that the affected sea stars were in the shallowest part of the wall, around 20 feet.
Dan Hershman :smt024
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

That last wolfie pops! Nice work!

I still need to try that site!

Cool to hear about the hatch
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!