GoBe Light setup for GoPro?

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

GoBe Light setup for GoPro?

Post by Rooinater »

Has anyone used or seen these lights? Are they worth it? I know they aren't the brightest persay, but work above and below water. I was looking at them for a starter light set for my gopro, since I've added a Hero3 to the line up for my other hobbies awhile ago, and I can get them with the compact light tray I was looking at anyhow. If I actually enjoy adding U/W video to my other video editing, I'd likely get the Sola 2500 lights or brighter.

What size lights are you guys using with your GoPro cameras?

It would be mainly used for some auxillary lighting in the PNW for video to share with friends, tropical dives, dry caves, and smaller underwater cave passages where less light is needed, no cords to entangle, and very compact for storing when not being needed. Eventually I'd likely upgrade to better lights for underwater, but as a starter set, with options for above ground use when I need better lighting in dry caves as well. I could always put a video head on my 35watt HID as welll I guess if I need more light...

Thanks!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: GoBe Light setup for GoPro?

Post by BillZ »

Here's my post from a few months ago...

http://nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... ilit=gopro

I've used these in the Sound as well as on a recent trip to the Red Sea and had really good results with these lights. For the price the set-up can't be beat.

I also originally though about using my can light for video but the beam angle is way too tight to be of any use.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Well, wound up with some DRIS Impact Stubby flood lights that were on sale, and a light and motion compact tray. We'll see how it works out. It should be similar brightness since they are a wider flood beam but 1k lumens instead of 700 lumens... That setup you have looks like it works well. Hopefully this works.

I'll still likely get a flood lighthead for my light monkey light if it's not enough light. Thanks for the info, this place certainly is dead compared to how busy it used to be a few years ago.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Rooinater wrote:Well, wound up with some DRIS Impact Stubby flood lights that were on sale, and a light and motion compact tray. We'll see how it works out. It should be similar brightness since they are a wider flood beam but 1k lumens instead of 700 lumens... That setup you have looks like it works well. Hopefully this works.

I'll still likely get a flood lighthead for my light monkey light if it's not enough light. Thanks for the info, this place certainly is dead compared to how busy it used to be a few years ago.
Let me know how the DRIS Stubby works out for you. I have the long body and it's been bullet proof as a back-up light. I was thinking of picking up a Stubby as secondary back-up for a cave class I'm taking this winter.

I'm finding that the challenging thing with video lighting is getting the right amount of light and correct coverage for the shot that I'm taking. Too bright and the light washes out the subject, and if the lights aren't positioned correctly you'll either get a dark line down the middle or shadows in the corners. I'm not sure if that's a quality of the lights I have or it's something that I just need to figure out.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

The Stubby is a great pocket backup, but to small to shoulder strap. I have the DRIS long body also and like it much better.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I think the DIRS Impact stubby floods are knock off of the Hog Morph system. I have been using the Hog Morph flood for my GoPro set up and find it works great.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SealScott »

I, too, would be interested in hearing how your lights work out. I have a pair of Fisheye FIX Neo 2000's that work great for what I do, but I'm always keeping an eye on what other GoPro shooters are having success with.

The Light and Motion tray is great. I use one for when I'm diving with friends that are not shooting. It fits right inside a drysuit pocket, or you can wrap it around your arm. When I use the tray, I usually run a Sola as my primary light so that, when I'm shooting smaller subjects on the bottom, I can put the camera on the bottom (using the arm like a third leg), get out of the way and provide some off axis lighting with my Sola in flood.

On a side note - If you haven't messed around with a color correction filter yet, I highly recommend you get one! They won't be any help in dark places or in green water depths below 30', but I have gotten some really awesome shots using them in shallower dive sites, like Keystone.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

I'll let you know how it works out. It'll be a couple weeks, all my primary regs and dive tanks are in for service/cleaning at the moment. So hopefully in a few weeks.

Everything I've read is just leave the filter off in the puget sound due to lack of light. Which filter are you using in the shallows SealScott?

I know I'll likely get a stubby for my backup lights if they work well. My current backup lights on my harness are way too bulky/long for my liking and shorter stature along with having a large canister. So i'd think the shorter version would be nicer, and not hit my can like my current ones that are as long as the full length impact light. That and I like bright lights, especially as backups... The dive out in cave training a couple years ago was doable with my backups, but I always want more light... Good luck with your class! It's a lot of fun, and grueling work. Depending on your instructor I'd compare it to bootcamp when I was in the Corp, underwater hazing with a purpose.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

This is the filter I use in the sound. Works great tried it without it once and it looked all green.
http://polarprofilters.com/shop/snap-on ... ter-hero-2
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Rooinater wrote:... Good luck with your class! It's a lot of fun, and grueling work. Depending on your instructor I'd compare it to bootcamp when I was in the Corp, underwater hazing with a purpose.
I hope it's not even close to being as brutal as boot camp, at 45 years old I don't think I could survive a trip to the pit. :)

Semper Fi!

BZ
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

BillZ wrote:"..
I hope it's not even close to being as brutal as boot camp, at 45 years old I don't think I could survive a trip to the pit. :)

Semper Fi!

BZ
Not quite being thrown in the pit till you vomit kind of hazing, but the purposeful right hand right knee, left hand left knee, 45 degree feet, elbows in kind of eating style.

But my instructor I could hear clear as day as he yelled underwater, and was the only time I've ever had a reg ripped out of my mouth, followed by the line out of my hands in pitch black... Needless to say, I remember vividly now "ok'ing the line" is gripping it and maintaining the shared hose in my ok'ing the line hand on a no light exit is securing my life... Tons of fun though.

Semper Fi!
Last edited by Rooinater on Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Linedog wrote:I think the DIRS Impact stubby floods are knock off of the Hog Morph system. I have been using the Hog Morph flood for my GoPro set up and find it works great.
The only thing with that is the stubby light has a 140 degree beam angle, and from what I can find the Hog it's a 72 degree beam. The outer, is similar, but not exact.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Linedog wrote:This is the filter I use in the sound. Works great tried it without it once and it looked all green.
http://polarprofilters.com/shop/snap-on ... ter-hero-2
Sweet, I'll look into getting one. Thanks for all the info guys.
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SealScott »

Everything I've read is just leave the filter off in the puget sound due to lack of light. Which filter are you using in the shallows SealScott?
I have a couple:
1) "URPro GR 55mm" from SRP (Snake River Prototyping)
2) Both green and blue water Flip3.1 filters from Backscatter.

I also have 55mm macro diopters, which I use a lot - I'm kinda of a macro freak! ;-)
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

How do you like the flip3.1 system? Easy to use or a hassle with the extra filters all over?
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Post by SealScott »

The Flip3.1 system is awesome!
Being able to simply "flip" the filters out of the way and not have to worry about taking them off and losing them, is really nice. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to put something small into my drysuit pocket, only to find out later that it didn't make it... Ha!.

I have close to 50 hours of salt time on my Flip3.1 and it's holding up really well.

As for the filters being in the way... if you're going for streamline, you might consider just sticking with the side flip and skip buying the additional top flip. This way, when you try to store the camera in a pocket, you won't have to hassel with the second filter bracket flopping around... although, it is pretty easy to remove the top bracket - one allen bolt.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

DRIS Impact Stubby Video Lights on a Hero3

Post by Rooinater »

Well, here is the first video from the DRIS Impact Stubby Lights with the Hero3. I'm actually fairly impressed, since the warranty is decent, and the price was fairly good. I'll need practice and pointers for getting all the lighting correct all the time I'm sure.

phpBB [video]
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Fixed the link, apparently it was the mobile app link for the video.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

You using any type of diffuser? The stubby has a pretty solid/narrow beam, but this look nice and wide (at least I seen) without a hot spot on each.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

I wound up saving a lot of money and going with the DRIS Impact Stubby as mentioned previously in the thread. A few people wanted to know how they turned out. The beam is 140 degrees without any extra diffuser. I could always put tonight's video in a thread under the light name after I edit it. Since it was here that someone wanted to know how they work, I put the video here.