Daylight Cavern Diving near Puerto Aventuras

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
carlk3
Aquaphile

Daylight Cavern Diving near Puerto Aventuras

Post by carlk3 »

Here are pictures from a two dives with Dive Aventuras in Puerto Aventuras, Mexico. We returned two weeks ago. http://www.diveaventuras.com/

The meteor that (likely) killed the dinosaurs 66 million years ago also formed the Yucatán Peninsula. The Yucatán is a pancake of limestone only 30 or 40 ft above sea level with no rivers or major lakes.

Rain seeps through soft stone into a peninsula-wide aquafer accessible just under the ground via 1000’s of natural sinkholes called cenotes.

Our dive guide drives us to a nearby, daylight illuminated, cenote. After a safety briefing, we three enter the caverns.

The guide leads, followed by wife & dive buddy Nanci, followed by me.

We love caves. One month ago, we walked through a cavern near Tucson. This is just like Tucson, only wetter. Also ...

... we can fly! And "jump" off ledges and bound up walls and levitate to ceilings.

Nanci spots a fossil shell as we glide by.

A fish and we enter a air pocket between two caverns sections

We pop out of the water at the air pocket.

Tree roots poke the rock and the air pocket (and go about two feet below the water).

From about 30 feet below, we see the bright sun beaming through the water. [panoramic composite of three photos]

We touch the light under the water.

We finish. It's a different pool than we entered.

The dive's ups and downs provide us with great buoyancy practice.

- Carl
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Daylight Cavern Diving near Puerto Aventuras

Post by LCF »

Love the sunlight spill photos!

You are just like my husband. Get some local skills training and then go back down to MX and take a cave class. You loved the caverns, but the caves are all that and more.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Nice report!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Beautiful sunrays, I could use some of that crystal clear water right about now. Thanks for the report and the photos.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Thanks for the lovely guided dive ... the photos are especially nice.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
carlk3
Aquaphile

Post by carlk3 »

Thanks! Here is a 2-minute video version:
(I just had YouTube stabilize the video which added some amusing artifacts: shaky, cutoff titles and motion blur now looks like out-of-focus blur)
phpBB [video]