Photo editing software

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Photo editing software

Post by dieseldude »

I have a new camera with 14.7 mega pixels & it is producing HUGE files for my pic's. So large infact that the old free version of adobe that I used to use to edit my pic's wont work on these photo's. The software kicks me out with "file to large error".
What does everyone else use & what do you like about it? I'm sort of partial to "free". I'm not really cheap, more sort of "thrifty". I dont do a whole lot to my pic's anyway. I figure either I got the shot or I didnt but it's nice to crop or edit levels a little or maybe crisp it up a little. I want to readily be able to put the edited image back into my "my pictures" file when I am done so I dont have to hunt it down when I'm ready to do something with it. I dont want to store my stuff on a remote site. I downloaded Picasa 3 today & played with one pic at lunchtime. It was ok but I have not played enough to be impressed yet.
On a sidenote, I had to get a new housing for my camera & opted for the Ike housing because of the better depth rating. So far I'm not real happy. The zoom is not spring loaded & is a pain in the a$$ under water & the scene selection button does not positively engage so if you go all the way one direction, you have to roll around the other direction a bunch to reengage the switch to make a change. Its real awkward with thick gloves on as you really have to feel whats happening. The flash diffuser does its job a little to well also. I know I need to step up to a strobe but I got caught with my shorts down & spent my strobe $$ on a new camera/housing setup so here I am with what I got. I guess I'll learn to use my H20 light as a strobe in the interim.
On a more positive note, when this baby gets the shot, it gets the shot! I'm real happy with a few of my rough uncut shots & cant wait to get some editing done & get some better subjects in my frames. The camera is a Cannon SD990 IS. Nice topside photos too. Only played with one video shot, but it seems to work as well.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Re: Photo editing software

Post by Sockmonkey »

Check this thread out to start.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Picasa is the only true freebe I know of. There are several programs out there that you can get in the 40 to 60 dollar class but the tend to be fairly limited. If you shop around Paint shop pro can be had fairly cheap if you don't mind dropping back a version or two. here is another one that runs around $80.00 for the latest version and is quite good. http://www.serif.com/photoplus/
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Gimp.org

Not as polished as PS, but nearly as powerful. And it is free. Will even work with raw. Has powerful scripting ability and lots of free plugins. Can do about anything if you're willing to learn it.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

airsix wrote:Gimp.org

Not as polished as PS, but nearly as powerful. And it is free. Will even work with raw. Has powerful scripting ability and lots of free plugins. Can do about anything if you're willing to learn it.
Gimp is actually more powerful because you can create your own plugins, and alter it to any means....

That said, for the average user, Gimp is a great tool. It's very comparable to photoshop.

D(B)
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

For free, I would stick with Gimp, because once you learn it, you will have a lifetime tool, it is going to be there for a long time.

To use Gimp, start with a pile of photos, look through them beforehand, grab 3 or 4, and get an idea of what you want to do to them. Use the Gimp tutorials, then, while the tutorials are fresh, edit the photos. It takes a while to come up on Gimp. In the end it is a total powerhouse. I have noticed that as 3rd party tools are created, the Gimp team incorporates them directly into the tool, so it is an active development and is growing in it's power and use.

I also use Serif tools, and they work well too. They often have special prices, and if you look around, you should be able to find an older copy of PhotoPlus for next to nothing. It is easier to learn than Gimp, and is quite powerful. Serif is a good company. They are a lot more popular in Britain. The documentation is good. It won't work with RAW, at least on the version I have, and so that limit affects what I try to do.

Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Some quickies I did for KTB in Gimp. This is just curve correction, I've got a couple that have a little more focus on the subject:

D(B)
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

Lightroom Hands down! You catalog your files and edit in one package. A brief learning curve but it's fast and effective!
Dave Mitchell
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Dmitchell wrote:Lightroom Hands down! You catalog your files and edit in one package. A brief learning curve but it's fast and effective!
Arguably the best, and one I have my own eye on. However, at around $250 it's in a different class than "free". It is definitely an amazing looking tool though.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

I have had time to play wit h Picasa 3 & find it to do most of what I need to do. I read through everyones suggestions & have looked at a few. Clearly I am to stupid to even download gimp as the links take me to pages of code that I have no clue what to do with. I have to be able to point & click download, authorize it/agree to terms & watch it run. I'll never pick on my wifes computer skills again. I have been humbled. AS for the $250 suggestion, If I had that laying around, I'd buy my strobe & keep looking for more free software. I didnt get any "money" shots this weekend so I'll have to gather some more & keep at it. Thanks for the links & recomendations. If anyone has the energy to explain to me how to download gimp, I'd love to play with it too.
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Gimp for windows install-file download link.
You WILL need to go through at least some of the tutorials. Picasa is like eating ice-cream. Gimp is like flying a helicopter.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

airsix wrote:Gimp for windows install-file download link.
You WILL need to go through at least some of the tutorials. Picasa is like eating ice-cream. Gimp is like flying a helicopter.
+1 for gimp. Although I find it more pleasant to use on my mac (thanks to the native X server) at home.

I tend to use Paint Shop Pro (only $70 right now) on windoze the while away the hours at work. It does everything photoshop and gimp can do these days. I made the C cards with PSP... and used it to help Josh with his roofing business too.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

dieseldude wrote:I have a new camera with 14.7 mega pixels & it is producing HUGE files for my pic's. So large infact that the old free version of adobe that I used to use to edit my pic's wont work on these photo's. The software kicks me out with "file to large error".
What does everyone else use & what do you like about it? I'm sort of partial to "free". I'm not really cheap, more sort of "thrifty". I dont do a whole lot to my pic's anyway. I figure either I got the shot or I didnt but it's nice to crop or edit levels a little or maybe crisp it up a little. I want to readily be able to put the edited image back into my "my pictures" file when I am done so I dont have to hunt it down when I'm ready to do something with it. I dont want to store my stuff on a remote site. I downloaded Picasa 3 today & played with one pic at lunchtime. It was ok but I have not played enough to be impressed yet.
On a sidenote, I had to get a new housing for my camera & opted for the Ike housing because of the better depth rating. So far I'm not real happy. The zoom is not spring loaded & is a pain in the a$$ under water & the scene selection button does not positively engage so if you go all the way one direction, you have to roll around the other direction a bunch to reengage the switch to make a change. Its real awkward with thick gloves on as you really have to feel whats happening. The flash diffuser does its job a little to well also. I know I need to step up to a strobe but I got caught with my shorts down & spent my strobe $$ on a new camera/housing setup so here I am with what I got. I guess I'll learn to use my H20 light as a strobe in the interim.
On a more positive note, when this baby gets the shot, it gets the shot! I'm real happy with a few of my rough uncut shots & cant wait to get some editing done & get some better subjects in my frames. The camera is a Cannon SD990 IS. Nice topside photos too. Only played with one video shot, but it seems to work as well.
MJ
I hated the same two things about the Ike housing. I will never buy another one unless I end up with a dslr at some point.
I've been using Picasa for a few years now and have really enjoyed the simplicity of it. I don't want to change the picture I shot into something that's it's not and I don't want to spend hours editing my shots.
I downloaded Gimp last night and I can't even figure out how to get a pic into the program to edit it......... No thanks!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

cardiver wrote:I hated the same two things about the Ike housing. I will never buy another one unless I end up with a dslr at some point.
I've been using Picasa for a few years now and have really enjoyed the simplicity of it. I don't want to change the picture I shot into something that's it's not and I don't want to spend hours editing my shots.
I downloaded Gimp last night and I can't even figure out how to get a pic into the program to edit it......... No thanks!
Uuuhhh.... drag the file to the main window... Or like other apps, click file-->open...

D(B)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

defied wrote:
cardiver wrote:I hated the same two things about the Ike housing. I will never buy another one unless I end up with a dslr at some point.
Uuuhhh.... drag the file to the main window... Or like other apps, click file-->open...

D(B)
Uhhhh....tried that, but uhhhhhhh....... Didn't work.
Must be my, uhhhh, computer at work.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

cardiver wrote: Uhhhh....tried that, but uhhhhhhh....... Didn't work.
It's probably Operator Error.

D(B)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

defied wrote:
cardiver wrote: Uhhhh....tried that, but uhhhhhhh....... Didn't work.
It's probably Operator Error.

D(B)
If the criticism came from someone who didn't have his head up his ass, I would consider that posibility.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

cardiver wrote: If the criticism came from someone who didn't have his head up his ass, I would consider that posibility.
Hmmm... Why don't you take 5 minutes, and come up with something better than that.

D(B)