Vancouver-area diving suggestions?

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
mheyns
Avid Diver

Vancouver-area diving suggestions?

Post by mheyns »

I'll be in Vancouver for work May 7-13th. That's over a weekend. :-)

I'd love to get in some of that excellent BC diving I've heard so much about. Any suggestions? Not interested in dives below 120ft, but otherwise I'm game for anything awesome.

Heard good things about Nanaimo, sea-lions at Hornby island, etc etc.

So suggestions for dives and folks to dive though would be great!

Thanks!

Michael
mpenders
Submariner

Re: Vancouver-area diving suggestions?

Post by mpenders »

Check out Sea Dragon Charters. They have two boats; the Sea Dragon that launches out of Nanaimo, and the Topline that is based in Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver. We had a great weekend with them, diving the wrecks in Nanaimo. I have read some reports and have seen pictures/footage that makes me want to plan a trip off the Topline, too.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Hornby is a looong way from Vancouver (minimum 3 different ferries each way)
Nanaimo is also unrealistically far since you are sorta working.

Chartering the Sea Dragon one day and shore diving at Whytecliff the other is much more realistic though.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mheyns
Avid Diver

Post by mheyns »

Cool, thanks!

Thinking I'll get a campsite at Porteau Cove Provincial Park whilst I'm up there and maybe do a few dives there during the week. I'll also contact the Sea Dragon folks about a dive on the weekend. :-)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Porteau cove isn't current sensitive but its also not that great of a dive site. Whytecliff is current sensitive (just go at high or low tide that's close enough to slack) and a really great wall dive.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mheyns
Avid Diver

Post by mheyns »

Thanks! Maybe I'll try both. Porteau has a nice campsite and despite the fact that my trip is work related it still works for my schedule to camp if I want to. Thinking I'll stay/camp at Porteau, do some morning dives and some work during the week, and then do Whytecliff and Sea Dragon on the weekend.

:-)
kasi
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kasi »

Vancouver is one of the best place for the diving and if you want to make plan for the diving then Vancouver is best to all of you i have experience to the Vancouver and i had enjoy there with full of passion...