GoPro Video Lights

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: GoPro Video Lights

Post by BillZ »

thefeve wrote:Hey Bill, how does the spot look on those lights? I did my own DIY setup for a tray with lockline and some cheapo chinese lights (one which flooded) but i had to do some messing around to get the light to flood correctly and not just wash out the gopro. They seem to be prone/sensitive to that. Anxious to see how these work for yah as i'm trying to decide which lights to go with next and also trying to do it on a budget.
Hi Matt -
I took the lights outside last night and these little guys seem to produce a nice even flood with no hotspots. For their size they are pretty powerful but I doubt they put out 800 lumen - Probably more around 400 - 500. I'll test one out on a dive this afternoon and see how it does.

Edit: If your light is washing out the video you may need a diffuser - ping Bdub, he has a line on cheap diffuser material. When we were diving the Knot a few weeks ago Justin actually used the lid off a can of Pringles as a diffuser for his light.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

KneeDeep wrote:Keep it coming Billz, I need a solution for my wife GoPro. Once completed can you post a parts list?
Sure thing - I'll put a complete list together once I finish up. The only part I still need is the male-make connector for the Loc-line arms - I didn't notice I needed it until I was putting my rig together so I ordered the connectors yesterday.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

So I finally got all of the parts - the GoPro and Archon lights are ready to hit the water. As promised, below is a picture and all of the components with the details:

Edit - I couldn't get the image to crop correctly so here's the link
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... 92bd44.jpg

1....Light And Motion Action Camera Tray Combo -Amazon, $99

2.... Loc-Line Coolant Hose Component, Acetal Copolymer, Double Socket, 1/2" Hose ID (Pack of 4) - Amazon, $5.36

(you can get these in black but I couldn't find them in quantities less than 20)

3.... Loc-Line 1/2 inch Ball Socket x MPT Connector Amazon, $3.95 X 2

4 Orbit Model # 37121 1 in. x 1/2 in. Plastic Saddle Tee - Home Depot (in store) $1.47 x2
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-1-in-x ... /100136430

No Callout - Archon D11V Diving Light - Amazon, $54.98 ea
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Hey Bill - did you end up trying the light out last week? I forgot to look... excited to see how the video comes out! My setup is almost identical, but i need to figure out a better light source than the cheapo chinese lights I got.
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

thefeve wrote:Hey Bill - did you end up trying the light out last week? I forgot to look... excited to see how the video comes out! My setup is almost identical, but i need to figure out a better light source than the cheapo chinese lights I got.
I had the light clipped off but forgot to test it.

I'm headed out tonight for a dive at Redondo and will have the Gopro with me. I'll shoot some test video and post in in this thread.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Wow what a great write up. I am thinking about building the same thing for my camera. Thanks so much for sharing!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

So we headed out to the Dond last night for our annual 6 Gill pilgrimage... No 6 Gills this year but I did have plenty of time to mess around with the GoPro and my new light set-up.

The first video is a test shot I did putting around in the trough at 100 ft or so.

phpBB [video]

The second video is a Longnose Skate we ran across on our way back up to the Mast.

phpBB [video]

So here's what I've learned so far...
[*]It's going to take some time to learn how to position the lights so that they cover a subject without having overlap lines while covering the entire field of view.

[*]Video seems to come out better when your at least 3 ft away from a subject.

[*]For $54 these little lights exceeded my expectations. They're bright and both of them put out enough light to bring out color underwater from about 15ft away (granted, the vis at Redondo last night was spectacular)

This weekend will be the true test - We're headed off to dive the Diamond Knot and I'm hoping to get enough decent footage that I can cobble together a 3 - 5 minute video.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

I seemed to miss this post, looking good for 1st run. Any vids from the Knot?

Using most of this parts list for my wife's setup... thanks Bill for the write up.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

KneeDeep wrote:I seemed to miss this post, looking good for 1st run. Any vids from the Knot?

Using most of this parts list for my wife's setup... thanks Bill for the write up.
Here's our video from the Knot.

phpBB [video]

Unfortunately I was having way too much fun on the scooter and forgot to shoot any video of my own. :partydance: BDUB is the artist behind the lens of the video above.......
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Sweet.

Have you looked into maybe using some type of diffuser len on those lights? It may help on the over laps, but not sure.

I just ordered those lights, but but what size is the head? Going to start googling now, but does any one have a good source for them?
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

any updates on how these are workin' out for yah bill?
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer