Bubbles from my SPG spool.

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Bubbles from my SPG spool.

Post by Linedog »

While soaking my tank and regs the other day I saw a fine line of bubbles coming from my SPG. I give it a twist and still bubbling, so I take it apart. The spool looks fine the O rings look and feel fine so back together it goes. No more bubbles, am I good to go or should I replace the O rings just for grins?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Bubbles from my SPG spool.

Post by CaptnJack »

I never reuse those, by the time I have it apart I can have them replaced. You can get a whole bag of them (100) for about $5.00 at McMaster-Carr. Size = 010. Viton tends to wear out slightly faster than EDPM or Buna, but they are so cheap and easy to replace who cares.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I got spares it was just kinda a what the heck moment, why the bubbles? I'll go swap them out, thanks Cap.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The o-rings are cheap, but the spindles aren't much more. By the time you have pried those little tiny o-rings off and replaced them a couple of times, you're likely to do what I did and say screw it, I'll just replace the spindle.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Hoodsport_Diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by Hoodsport_Diver »

LCF wrote:The o-rings are cheap, but the spindles aren't much more. By the time you have pried those little tiny o-rings off and replaced them a couple of times, you're likely to do what I did and say screw it, I'll just replace the spindle.
+1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hoodsport_Diver
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

You can usonic clean them too if you don't have a spare spool. Sometimes the SPG and/or HP hose leaks are really irritating. Probably a better solution to have spares than slather with o2 lube and reassemble :)