Your Thoughts on Liquivision

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
SealScott
Frequent Bubbler

Your Thoughts on Liquivision

Post by SealScott »

I'm curious to hear what the Liquivision users (Xen, Xeo, Lynx, Kaon) think of their computers - approx. number of dives & pros and cons would be great!
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Your Thoughts on Liquivision

Post by GearHead »

I have the Xen bottom timer and the Kaon computer. The Kaon has just over 200 dives on it, and the Xen a few more.

Both have worked quite well for me. No problems at all so far. The best feature is the brightness and readability of the display under water. I wear one on each arm, where their compact size leaves room for other devices.

They take a somewhat odd size battery. The primary cell is a 3.6V 17335 li-ion. I keep a couple of these on hand for backup. Instead I use rechargeable 3.7V IMR 16340 cells made by AW. I swap with a fresh pair and recharge after about 20 dives to extend the cycle life.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

I have a Xeo and really like it. The size and screen underwater are fantastic. I had a Mares Icon and the LV is a lot more compact. The tap technology takes a little getting used to, but once you get the hang, it works great. Finally, their customer service is fantastic! They are very responsive and fair.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

DRIS is having a sale on some Liquivision computers and packages right now if you need extra incentive. I may get a Xeo for when I eventually get certified for Trimix.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

For the same price as (and sometimes less than) a Xeo, I would take a good look at the Shearwater Petrel. Shearwater has a great track record and outstanding customer service.

The Deco Stop is a good resource for researching dive computers. Plenty of threads about tech dive computers there.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

+1
At least consider it. I've only dove with a liquivision once and like it, display was great, but I got that Petrel and LOVE it so far. Plus can use AA batteries... easy peasy.
spatman wrote:For the same price as (and sometimes less than) a Xeo, I would take a good look at the Shearwater Petrel. Shearwater has a great track record and outstanding customer service.

The Deco Stop is a good resource for researching dive computers. Plenty of threads about tech dive computers there.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I have a couple Xens and really like them for the same reasons as above.

If you are looking at a bottom timer, its pretty great and I'd go with one.

I also have a Petrel and If you are looking for a full on dive computer especially one that can do trimix and ccr in future, I would also recommend the Petrel as defacto tec computer.

Big plus on the Petrel is that it works with standard AA battery too and downloads dives via bluetooth.. no "dongle" to buy separately.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

I like my xen a lot for most of my diving, and have been contemplating another for my scooter.

That being said, a shearwater petrel is cheaper, longer battery life, better battery options, doesn't require the additional expense of buying an adapter to download your dives, vpm upgradeable as well and local tech support... And you can find them for $850. Which is what I'll get for a backup to my bottom timer, cause I like sanity checks.

So if you are going to dive it as a computer, you get more per dollar with the shearwater petrel compared to the xeo. And if you don't need helium in the mix anytime in the foreseeable future there's other computers for a lot less.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I have a Liquivision Xen and have about 300 dives on it.

Pro's: Nice bright display.

Cons: Everything else

Where do I start.......
The Xen is the most unreliable piece of diving equipment that I own. The main issue revolves around the battery and power management. First off the battery is $10, is specific to the Liquivision and it's a PIA to find locally. When I first bought it 3 years ago I was getting 8-10 dives out of a battery before it would just quit working, always without warning in the middle of a dive. Since I was chewing through batteries and having a hard time stockpiling enough of them I decided to spend the $100 and get the rechargeable pack. The rechargeables would give me 3 dives before they crapped out but at least I could get into a routine of switching them out after every day of diving. Recent software updates have helped some but I still only get about 10 dives out of a rechargeable.

Quite often the computer just doesn't want to work. In one scenario I'll descend and when the computer boots up I get the message "Not Ready To Dive". Sometimes it just doesn't boot up at all, even after having it start up on the surface. I would say that I have an issue with the Xen not working on 20% of my dives.

This may be a nit-pick but the clock on the Xen doesn't keep the correct time. I'll set it one day and by the next it will be hours off. I've been told that I need to "calibrate" the clock and it will help some but I've pretty much just resigned myself to not having the correct time on the computer.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the Xen reminds me of a prototype that was not thoroughly tested and well thought out for its practical application before it was put into production. It has a ton of neat technology, but doesn't deliver on practicality and reliability, which are the basic things you want in a dive computer.
cofford
Aquaphile

Post by cofford »

I have both the Liquivision Xen and the Shearwater Predator (predecessor to the Petrel). I've had zero issues with my Xen (I have one of the early versions...Serial number 0068), though it was a but quirky with the first few firmware releases. It's consistently given me 25 hrs of dive time per battery with the smaller capacity 14355 batteries. I recently had it upgraded to the newer battery and it should be 40-45 hrs between batteries. The battery life is very much affected by the screen settings you choose. The screen of the Xen has a thinner piece of glass (or plastic) which means the viewing angle is much better than the Predator. You can calibrate the clock to make it somewhat accurate. The Xen has been a reliable companion for me for a long time.

The Predator, while being bulky and having a much smaller viewing angle, seems to be a more refined product. The battery life is over 60 hrs on a Li AA which you can buy locally fairly easily. I use it on my CCR with VPM-B and it's great. You can also run it in gauge mode with the latest firmware update if you like to do that (I do when I'm on OC). I had a problem where the batteries were only lasting 4-5 hours, and the local rep here in the Seattle area changed out the main board, screen, battery case, and battery cap for free, and I wasn't the original owner...Great customer service (Liquivision is great too). The Petrel is the current version of this computer, and is smaller and more refined, though the layout of the display is basically the same.

I'm currently keeping an eye on the XDeep Black...It's affordable, comes with a sweet compass, and is upgradeable from BT to Nitrox to Trimix. I've heard that before though (Uwatec Galileo, anyone?), so we'll see where it ends up. The BT looks great, at least on paper.