Sidemount Systems

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Sidemount Systems

Post by Tom Nic »

Which ones do you like, which do you dislike, and more importantly, why?

The Hog system caught my eye this morning and I was realizing that I have absolutely no basis on which to make an even preliminary decision.

My ultimate focus is recreational sidemount with possible future beginning tech training, but not caving.

Really appreciate the wisdom, experience, and opinions of you here on the board - thanks in advance.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Sidemount Systems

Post by spatman »

I highly recommend the Dive Rite Nomad XT. Plenty of lift in the wing for our steel tanks and extra lead you may need. The "weight plate" add-on is also a great way to add that extra lead without affecting trim.

EDIT: It is also very rugged and highly adjustable.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Talk with Bob Bailey as well, as he was trained by Rob Neto, or talk with Rob directly, he's a very good guy.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I have a Razor, but I don't think it's really an ideal setup for cold water diving. It's not well-designed to incorporate a great deal of weight, and I at least found some of the fittings difficult to manage with dry gloves and rings on my suit.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
kr2y5
Avid Diver

Post by kr2y5 »

You may want to check out the setups at the Cave Adventurers site, they have a great deal on the Halcyon Contour with HOG regulators, it quite heavily discounted (and it looks like they may have some Black Friday deals on top of that). I am taking a sidemount workshop with Bob next month, and he thought this setup should be ideal for local diving in PNW. It is rugged, has enough lift, but not too bulky, and does not require any modifications. I'm sure someone will correct me, but it seemed that some folks find it necessary to apply "Edd's cave mod" to the Dive Rite Nomad, and that reduces the available lift... I may be talking nonsense, though...

http://www.caveadventurers.com/halcyon- ... -regs.html