PSI and Hydro's expiring?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
KneeDeep
Submariner

PSI and Hydro's expiring?

Post by KneeDeep »

Read this some where, but no cle if true or not. Can someone please confirm:

Any of you own PST (9791 series) tanks? Read on: This is very time sensitive, so please act quickly! This is regarding HYDROS for PST STEEL TANKS ONLY! The company, Pressed Steels, has gone out of business and therefore, there is no application on file with the Department of Transportation to renew the hydro permits that are needed for these particular tanks. If you have purchased a PST steel tank YOU MUST GET YOUR TANK HYDRO'ed BEFORE TUESDAY, JAN. 27TH IN ORDER TO RECEIVE YOUR LAST HYDRO. (Must have a 01@15 stamp in the metal.) This will allow you to at least use your tank for another 5 years. If you DO NOT bring in your tank before this date, you will NOT be able to get it hydro'ed again. This is the LAST TIME these tanks can be hydro'ed. To know if you have a PST steel tank that's up on the chopping block, please look for the following information that will be stamped on the neck of the tank: 1) It will be marked with E9791 or SP9791 2) It will say PST 3) The working pressure will be either 3442 or 3500 4) The tank will be gray, black, blue, or yellow
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: PSI and Hydro's expiring?

Post by BillZ »

I'll buy all of yours for the scrap metal price of $3.50 :)

So I spoke with Jim, the resident tank guru at Fire King -He's heard of no issues getting the PST tanks hydroed.

Where did you get that quote?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The exemption has to be renewed. Despite being out of business, PST has always renewed it to date. If they don't there are provisions in the CFRs for any individual to renew it. The current iteration will expire at the end of January 2015. In the past DOT has been rather slow processing the renewals and quite honestly this drama comes up every 5 years so I am not super motivated to look up and confirm DOT has received a renewal application. I suspect they have. Unless they DENY that renewal application they are legal to fill and hydro. I.e. a pending application is equivalent to a renewed special permit. DOT delays in approval are fine.

If the special permit is denied (and DOT has never denied an application) then even a freshly hydroed exempt PST tank won't be legal to fill in commerce.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Here is their current special permit.

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/pv_obj_cache/p ... 021983.pdf
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Via San Diego Divers:

New info this am from DOT concerning the PST Scuba cylinders DOT-E9791 / SP 9197 Series with pressures of 3500 / 3442. The Exemption and CFR were slightly ambiguous and we asked for complete clarification.

Exemption: No person may use or apply this special permit, including display of its number, when this special permit has expired or is otherwise no longer in effect.

Quoted from DOT: "The cylinders manufactured under the terms of the special permit may not be used after the permit has expired."

Also, as we stated before, on 22 Jan DOT stated they had not heard from PST concerning a renewal.....

As of this morning... 27 Jan, DOT states: "I’m in communication with the grantee of DOT-SP 9791, he insists he is going to request renewal. We’ll expedite his request if and when we receive it."

Soooo, in the mean time.... all hydros of tanks received are in fact on hold.. the only ones we are doing right now are ones that already needed or were very close to, needing a new hydro.

PST is out of business, that rumor is true but it sounds like someone has purchased the rights to all PST assets... At one time when they went under, PST owed much more than assets. It appears someone is attempting to keep it alive in some fashion.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

EXACTLY what happened 4 yrs ago when it was last up for renewal...

PST (whatever remains) is at least responsive. Norris made exempt cylinders for about 3 yrs and then didn't renew their permit and that was that. Nobody else bothered to try and pick it up since so few were produced.
johndo88
Compulsive Diver

Post by johndo88 »

Could we be having similar problems with Worthington tanks in the future?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

johndo88 wrote:Could we be having similar problems with Worthington tanks in the future?
Quite possibly, although Worthington is an intact company. Norris is an intact company too but they blew off getting their special permit renewed and got out of the scuba business again (they made lp72s decades ago). I rather doubt Worthington would not get the SP renewed, its pretty easy and keeps their "good name" intact.

None of this applies to Ali cylinders or any 3AA steel cylinders (2250+, 2400+, 3180+ service pressures typically)
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

I hear PST Cylinders filed for renewal.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Renewed.
http://www.divenewswire.com/NewsITems.aspx?newsID=13583

Prepare yourself for the same routine in 4 more years lol
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

CaptnJack wrote:Renewed.
Yep!!!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Oh thank heavens. I was almost worried. :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
CaptnJack wrote:Renewed.
http://www.divenewswire.com/NewsITems.aspx?newsID=13583

----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Now I know why I got such a good deal on my double pst100's last summer........ :penelope:
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

To sell, or not to sell. News, news, and more news. That's what drives the stock market go up and down. I have PST tanks and I'll keep it for the long haul. :)
When was the last time you did something for the first time?