Hydro stamp question

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Cupronickel
Avid Diver

Hydro stamp question

Post by Cupronickel »

I just got my tank back from a hydro test yesterday. I was looking at the new stamp they put on it, and where they stamped it a little galvanizing looks like it chipped off. Is this something I should be worried about? Should I put paint where the galvanizing has chipped or let it be?
A flute without holes is not a flute, a doughnut without a hole is a danish.
GearHead
Submariner

Re: Hydro stamp question

Post by GearHead »

It's up to you, any paint would be cosmetic. The place where they put the stamp is the thickest part of the tank, so there's no issue regarding the strength.
Cupronickel
Avid Diver

Post by Cupronickel »

Rust issues/tank longevity are my concerns here, if a little spot of rust shows up where the chip was, Im afraid it might cause more galvanizing to come loose. If thats not going to happen though I wont waste my time.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Mine chipped a bit when stamped and it's been fine for 3+ years now. I'm not at all worried about the longevity of the tank.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I have 4 tanks made in the 70's. Some of the hydros have a little paint over them, most don't. I wouldn't sweat it either way.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

GearHead wrote:It's up to you, any paint would be cosmetic. The place where they put the stamp is the thickest part of the tank, so there's no issue regarding the strength.
The thickest part of the tank is typically the base not the crown.

Chipping of the galvanizing from the stamp is of no concern, its not a paint that rust will "get under" Obviously there will be a rust spot but most steel tanks will outlast your diving career. I have some from the 1960s in my stable.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Cupronickel
Avid Diver

Post by Cupronickel »

Good to know, thanks for the replies.
xBabyJesus
Avid Diver

Post by xBabyJesus »

Just FYI, I sprayed mine with some UV-safe clear coat rattle can. Krylon or the like.