Dive light

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Dive light

Post by Snidely »

Looking for a good dive light.

Would like to keep the price below $200, have it be LED, and at least 1000LM.

Anyone got any ideas or preferences?

Thanks
2 in / 2 out, everyone goes home
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Dive light

Post by Penopolypants »

DRIS Scuba has a bunch of lights that meet your requirements. I have an older version of this as my backup light, which is surprisingly bright:

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/lightsr ... -3380.html

They have quite a selection for your price range.

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/lights-c-51.html
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Penopolypants wrote:DRIS Scuba has a bunch of lights that meet your requirements. I have an older version of this as my backup light, which is surprisingly bright:

They have quite a selection for your price range.

http://www.diverightinscuba.com/lights-c-51.html

Thank you!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

You can spend 100-200$ now, and spend again later when you upgrade lights, or just get a Dusty light and be done with it.

You get a canister light and a goodman handle so you can still use your hand.

My Light Monkey 35w HID is in the shop, so I went back to my dusty light this past weekend. For 400$, its quite the deal. My LM 35w HID is not 3x better, but I need that punch in hazy viz at 200+ft. But my dusty light makes a damned good backup when I need it.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Jeff Pack wrote: My Light Monkey 35w HID is in the shop, so I went back to my dusty light this past weekend. .
That's kind of telling itself...... :smt064

Dusty lights are great, exceptional for the $$. :supz:
A buddy I sold mine to (I upgraded to his Li-on experimental model) said the original battery finally is croaking after 280 cycles. A new battery will set him back $30-35. Try that with a 'high end' canister light from a major manufacturer.

Important note - the 1000lm fir the DRIS light is probably BS, BUT they have a fine reputation and are good lights for the money. I'd buy the shorty (again don't expect 1000lm from 3xAA, any 3xAA), and relegate it to a backup light when you are ready to step up.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Can lights aren't for everyone, I have a goodman grip for my Hog Morph and am quite happy with it. DRIS is now cloning the Hog but either are great lights.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I put a Goodman handle on my Dris shorty, but runtime is limited

fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Can the DRIS shorty be used with 18650's, or better yet 26650's? I'm assuming the 3xAA carrier provides room for this kind of upgrade.

I carried a hand held light for a dozen years waiting for either the stupid HID lights to become more reasonably priced AND (BIG AND) more reliable, or....LED's to catch up, which they most certainly have for most applications. But, that cable was a pain for the first half dozen dives. Now I don't even think about it.

Reality - Bright lights need power. Power comes from a battery, either NiMh or litium ion nowadays. You can only pack so much power into a tiny package. If you want JUST one 50-70" dive some of the small lights might suffice without the cable and battery pack. You want more...light or run time....you WILL have to carry the power for it. No way around the physics of that equation.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Snidely
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Snidely »

Thanks all for the help!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

I own three of the DRIS 1000 lumen lights and they cant be beat for the $60 price tag. A set of C batteries will last at least 3 hours, It has a tight beam and enough power to cut through our murky Puget Sound waters, and it's built like a tank. It also makes for a great back-up light once you decide that you want to upgrade to something with more power.

dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

A triple +1 to the Dusty's Lights. I've had mine for about 3 years now and wouldn't use anything else. It's the best lumen for the money you will ever see, methinks.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BillZ wrote:I own three of the DRIS 1000 lumen lights and they cant be beat for the $60 price tag. A set of C batteries will last at least 3 hours, It has a tight beam and enough power to cut through our murky Puget Sound waters, and it's built like a tank. It also makes for a great back-up light once you decide that you want to upgrade to something with more power.

Its a good light but 1000 lm it is not. And it still takes up your whole hand, plus the goodman sleeve/holder thing is really not that useful.

The op needs a decent entry level primary light, not a big backup.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

fmerkel wrote:Can the DRIS shorty be used with 18650's, or better yet 26650's? I'm assuming the 3xAA carrier provides room for this kind of upgrade.
Nope..