SI Tech vs Viking ring systems?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

I'm choosing between SI Tech and Viking for my first dry glove ring systems (now that my Northern Diver wet gloves have been compressed down to 1 mm and are shredded enough to resemble something a Dickensian street urchin might wear).

Any votes on which are easiest to don and most reliable?

Thanks!

-Ann
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: SI Tech vs Viking ring systems?

Post by cardiver »

I'm now using the new Si Tech ring system and I really like it. In the past I had been using the Diving Concepts set up, which I also liked. The one thing that made me switch was the ease with which you can switch out a glove with the Si Tech rings. It takes maybe a minute or so with my new gloves and it was quite an ordeal with the old.....
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

I have been using the "old" style viking rings (inner hard plastic ring and rubber outer ring) for years and they have worked great. A few years back my buddy broke his inner ring and I was able to make a replacement out of PVC. I found a great place online (Magid gloves) to buy the gloves.

They are very easy to put on you just pull the glove up and over the ring. In all honesty I will say that it does take some time to get used to putting on the gloves and but once you get used to them they go on pretty quick. The gloves are not as robust as the "blue" gloves but if you are careful you can get a lot of dives out of them.

If you go with the viking gloves there is a guy on Scubaboard (Bob3) who sells the viking rings at a good price. If you want I can send you his website.

Either way dry gloves really made a difference in my comfort level especially in the winter.

Mike
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I use the SItech rings and really like them. A few of my friends use the Viking system and like those too. Both are really good and you won't be disappointed with whichever you choose.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Since you asked about reliability I'll mention that recently my Sci-tec system started flooding. I made sure nothing was dirty or out of place. More floods. By now both sides were flooding. I put a thin coat of silicone grease around the surface opposite the o-rings and 10 dives on there've been no more floods or when a hint of a leak. So if you have these keep that surface greased or expect trouble.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Si Tech has the same rings as Viking. They call them Cuffs DUI calls them the SI-5. These are nice as you can just stretch a $6 rubber glove over them.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

Thanks, y'all!

Also - for dexterity, can you recommend a particular glove? I need to be able to fiddle with camera controls, but don't want something that'll tear if I look at it wrong.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

As far as dexterity the gloves are going to "shrink" at depth due to increased pressure and some ring systems do not have a method for equalizing. It also depends on how thick the liner glove is that you use. I wear a size 11 rubber glove with a thick wool liner glove in the colder water months. In the summer I can wear a size 10 glove with a thin pair of liners. It all depends on how deep and how long you are diving and your tolerance for cold.

Here is the link for the gloves,

http://www.magidglove.com/Magid-MultiMa ... mentId=229

Here is the link for the viking rings,

http://comdive.com/

Mike
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

If you use cuff rings many of us are using "Best 55" rubber gloves. You can buy them at Work n More or just about any other work wear shop for around $6. Just cut them down to a length that works for you. They are very hearty and still give great dexterity.

http://www.showabestglove.com/site/prod ... x?style=55

Looks like you can get a free sample pair from Best off their website.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Rubber sand blasting gloves from Harbor Freight fit the Viking rings like they were custom designed. They are tough enough to not tear during normal use, but with plenty of dexterity for camera buttons. Oh, and they cost six bucks.

Everyone has their preferences - see if you can try both or at least look them over closely.

My reasons for preferring the Viking ring system with a pull over sandblasting glove - utter simplicity, no o-rings to lubricate, no twistie lockie thingies to get right. Just choose an appropriate glove liner, pull the rubber glove over and voila! Diving dry.

Key is getting the right outer and inner glove, but that's pretty easy and these things are pretty much bulletproof.

Good luck!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I use the Viking bayonet ring system. It was designed for hazmat diving, so it is a positive lock system. This means that, once you get the rings mated, they CANNOT pop off (I've had bubbles fizzing out of the rings at the end of a dive, but they stay in place.) They install on your existing seals, without tools, in about two minutes; gloves can be changed out at the dive site, again without tools, in a few minutes as well.

I like them well enough that I have installed them on all my suits, and Peter has them on his, too. They also work with the SiTech pseudo-Zip-seal system.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
jtaylor23
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jtaylor23 »

If you decide on the SI system, I'm selling mine. My hands are just a little too big and don't fit thru the ring without a struggle that sometimes pops the ring off. It has all the rings and yellow liners and orange gloves. I paid $80 plus shipping off eBay. You can have'em for $70. PM me. Jon
Sun went down in honey.
Moon came up in wine.
Stars were spinnin' dizzy,
Lord, the band kept us so busy
We forgot about the time.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I had the same problem with dry gloves until the SiTec XL rings came out.....
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
anndornfeld
Frequent Bubbler

Post by anndornfeld »

I ended up with the SI Tech rings and the Atlas 660 gloves with wool liners (just some thin gloves I've had for ages). Several dives later, I'm quite happy with my decision.

Thanks, all, for the recommendations!