SP MK20/D400?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

SP MK20/D400?

Post by scottsax »

There's a guy selling this combo on craigslist. I'm thinking about a stage bottle reg-from what I can tell, it looks like a good combo. Is it?
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: SP MK20/D400?

Post by CaptnJack »

the mk20 is virtually identical to the mk10 and mk25, both quite good piston regs. there are some minor differences with how the IP is adjusted but nothing very important
the d400 is a bit of an odd looking reg, but its a balanced 2nd and breaths quite good.

Conversion to din can be annoyingly expensive for CL regs
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

CaptnJack wrote:Conversion to din can be annoyingly expensive for CL regs
Is there any reason why converting this particular reg to din would be expensive, or is it because I'm not the original owner?
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

scottsax wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Conversion to din can be annoyingly expensive for CL regs
Is there any reason why converting this particular reg to din would be expensive, or is it because I'm not the original owner?
Not that particular one. Its just that SP DIN kits aren't cheap (~$60 IIRC)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Depending on your comfort level ordering used stuff from out of state (I have never had an issue knock on wood). These mk20/g250s are already DIN:
http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10654

Swivel 1st stages like the mk10/20/25 are well suited for stage bottle use, although non-swivels can work fine too, typically with a slightly longer hose.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Hmmm. I have offended the CDF gods somehow... I'm in the process of getting an account....

Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

scottsax wrote:There's a guy selling this combo on craigslist. I'm thinking about a stage bottle reg-from what I can tell, it looks like a good combo. Is it?
FYI, Scubapro DOES NOT have/sell kits for the D400 anymore. You have to find somewhere, where someone has old kits laying around. AWESOME breathing reg though!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Romer Treece wrote:
scottsax wrote:There's a guy selling this combo on craigslist. I'm thinking about a stage bottle reg-from what I can tell, it looks like a good combo. Is it?
FYI, Scubapro DOES NOT have/sell kits for the D400 anymore. You have to find somewhere, where someone has old kits laying around. AWESOME breathing reg though!
Yikes! That's a good thing to know, Dan! Thanks for the info...

Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

:supz:
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I've always admired the d400 (even tho I sold the one that came with my second mk25) from a purely Empirical point of view.

"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Romer Treece wrote:
Seriously? They are otherwise one of the best of the best when it comes to supporting old models with parts. Bummer they lost the molds or whatever happened with the d400.
Romer Treece
Pelagic

Post by Romer Treece »

Yeah 2 years ago when I went to the training, they were throwing out D400's for any correct answer given, knowing that they would never sell parts for them again.

Total bummer, I like those regs!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I ended up buying the MK20/G250 from the guy in the link Richard posted.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

scottsax wrote:Thanks for the recommendations everyone! I ended up buying the MK20/G250 from the guy in the link Richard posted.
Although the 2nd might seem a bit large compared to more "compact" models, those make good stage regs. The original g250 is a (balanced, large diaphram) easy breather. Let us know how it works out.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

CaptnJack wrote:Although the 2nd might seem a bit large compared to more "compact" models, those make good stage regs. The original g250 is a (balanced, large diaphram) easy breather. Let us know how it works out.
My primary reg is a g250. Of the few regs I've owned it seems the be the easiest for a reg tech to screw up. I shoulda just brought mine to Dan when I was in Seattle. But now that it's tuned properly it breathes so easily at depth I forget I have a reg in my mouth. I've always thought it was a little harder to breath in shallower water but I'm now sure that it's in my head.

Richard's right it's also huge. I had it on my necklace for a while and I kept hitting my face/chin on it. To give you an idea of how huge it is here's a shot fisheater from DMX took of me as the super crown of thorns super hero.
Big Island - Kona June 2009 195.gmp.jpg
So Scott... if you're think'n stage regs... you heading toward Tech1?

-Eric

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

+1 for the G250 as a stage reg.

I use one on my 70' bottle...works great. Only non-Apeks reg I have and breathes equally as well as the Apeks.

That's a great setup, Scott.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sockmonkey wrote:So Scott... if you're think'n stage regs... you heading toward Tech1?

-Eric
Um...yeah? I have a few things to work out first. A little more rec training first, and some more dives, but cool wrecks are one of the big reasons I got into diving, and they all seem to be pretty deep....

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sockmonkey wrote: My primary reg is a g250. Of the few regs I've owned it seems the be the easiest for a reg tech to screw up.
Get Oxyhacker's reg book. These 2nds are pretty easy to adjust. Although my s600 would not stay in tune for awhile (virtually the same reg). Eventually that was chocked up to a warped body - which was thankfully replaced uder warranty. Mine are one of the few regs I own that have gotten annual service, well, annually lol.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

scottsax wrote:
Sockmonkey wrote:So Scott... if you're think'n stage regs... you heading toward Tech1?

-Eric
Um...yeah? I have a few things to work out first. A little more rec training first, and some more dives, but cool wrecks are one of the big reasons I got into diving, and they all seem to be pretty deep....
"Tech 1" is not the only route available. As an alternative you can decide to take the TDI or IANTD route in technical dive instruction. There are some outstanding local technical instructors here in the PNW that offer a line-up of classes that will get you as deep as you want to go. If you, or anyone else, wants their names and contact information, please drop me a PM.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

John Rawlings wrote: "Tech 1" is not the only route available. As an alternative you can decide to take the TDI or IANTD route in technical dive instruction. There are some outstanding local technical instructors here in the PNW that offer a line-up of classes that will get you as deep as you want to go. If you, or anyone else, wants their names and contact information, please drop me a PM.

- John
Oops... heh I might have meant "tech1" more generically... and also sorta assumed a bit from what I know about Scott's training path. I retrospect I shoulda used PM to ask.... But I did not mean to promote one agency over another and totally agree there's lots of excellent tech training out there. In fact the pacnorwest has more options than anywhere I can think of for training opportunities tech or otherwise... maybe too many to choose from.

:grouphug:

-Eric

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah, and then when the ink on your technical c-cards finally dries you suddenly hear your technical instructor "slip" (but I think it was intentional) and call the dives you're doing "baby tech." :rofl: Where's my binky? :binkybaby:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I know of 3 different agencies using the term "tech1", each with their own definition. There are probably even more versions that I haven't heard about; its rather generic at this point.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:Where's my binky? :binkybaby:
Right next to your pee valve.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
That's not my binky, that's "Pedro."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Sounder wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
That's not my binky, that's "Pedro."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Just try to keep the bolt out of your mouth ok? :banplz: