Lobster Shop Wall Depth?

General topics about technical diving.
Kirby
Aquaphile

Lobster Shop Wall Depth?

Post by Kirby »

Was wondering just how deep it gets here in Tacoma from the shore? It seems to be deeper quicker straight out from the entry ramp at the beach. I have been doing some trimix dives here over the last 6 months or so and was curious how deep you can actually get from shore here. On my deepest dive it did not seem to be flattening out yet.

Kirby
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Lobster Shop Wall Depth?

Post by Joshua Smith »

I've been told that you can get about as deep as you want to, right there. I only dove it once, with Bob. We went to about 160', and it definitely kept going. I've heard you can break 300' there....

Kirby wrote:Was wondering just how deep it gets here in Tacoma from the shore? It seems to be deeper quicker straight out from the entry ramp at the beach. I have been doing some trimix dives here over the last 6 months or so and was curious how deep you can actually get from shore here. On my deepest dive it did not seem to be flattening out yet.

Kirby
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Went to about 205 there a coupla weeks ago ... just to see what was down there. It was pretty boring. We found a small octopus, an abandoned crab pot, and a whole lotta bottom ... definitely not worth blowing $100 worth of gas on.

But it did keep on going down ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Looking at the chart, the soundings out in the channel are at ~90 fathoms, or 540 feet. It drops off pretty damn fast to that depth at Lobster Shop. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down to 300 fsw.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dsteding wrote:Looking at the chart, the soundings out in the channel are at ~90 fathoms, or 540 feet. It drops off pretty damn fast to that depth at Lobster Shop. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down to 300 fsw.
Dang. You can get all the way to "stupid deep" around here in a hurry- arent there some parts of the Sound that reach 1,000'?

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Joshua Smith wrote:
dsteding wrote:Looking at the chart, the soundings out in the channel are at ~90 fathoms, or 540 feet. It drops off pretty damn fast to that depth at Lobster Shop. I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down to 300 fsw.
Dang. You can get all the way to "stupid deep" around here in a hurry- arent there some parts of the Sound that reach 1,000'?
Deepest I see is ~100 fathoms. But, I'm not looking everywhere. I do know up on the Sunshine Coast it goes way deeper than that in those fjords.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer ... able.shtml
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I remember hitting 145ft or so and it was steep below that but not really vertical. I think that was with GratefulB and Snowbear. I guess that is just the top of one of the "steps". Not exactly my fav site anyway so I'll trust Bob when he says its not worth it at 205 :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

I need a better chart, the one I bought didn't have enough detail. Directly out from the true Lobster Shop wall it starts to flatten out for a ways, and from the MOFO wall it seems to do the same. Directly out from the beach entry seems to be a deep hole. Hard to picture in your head when you can only see 10 ft or so. I have been to 233 at the pipeline, but that was one long swim. We swam to the wall from the end of the pipe at 150 and it seemed pretty flat until you got to 120 ft or so on that side. If you look at the terrain above the beach and try to envision it below water, it is probably very similar.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

so anyone run out of wall on this dive yet?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

I have been exploring this area for the last couple of years and have found, from South to North.....

Between the pipeline and lobster shop wall, a 15 ft vertical wall at 120 ft
The Lobster shop wall, top 90 bottom 120-130 with slope below to >200
A short section of wall at 160 just to North of Lobster shop wall
The North wall, top 130 bottom 160-170 (go north from entry beach to South end of wall)
The Mofo wall, top 134 bottom 170-180
The North Mofo wall top 167 bottom 200-205
The Asarco Wall top 141- bottom 180-190
These are all very long verical sections, separated from each other by steep slopes.

They are alot more fun to dive when the visibility gets great, and if you have several people with really good lights.
The walls to the North are a 15 minute swim straight out from shore and will buy you some serious deco obligation getting there and back.

I am seriously having trouble finding anyone I can dive with safely (what is safety anyway, kind of a relative term) on these sites. If anyone wants to enjoy a dive down here that is appropriately equipped, trained, and experienced, I would love to dive with you. It's awfull lonely in the absolute darkness. I do these dives at least twice a week or more between my dives at other sites.

By the way, have been trying out a Shearwater computer the last month, very nice. :thumb3d:

Kirby
(253)347-2817
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Kirby wrote:I am seriously having trouble finding anyone I can dive with safely (what is safety anyway, kind of a relative term)

I'm not some kind of elitist snob or anything- but "safety" as it relates to "diving" is pretty well defined. When you get to "tech diving", the definition gets pretty narrow. It involves stuff like having a dive plan.

bigsky
Dive-aholic

Post by bigsky »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Kirby wrote:I am seriously having trouble finding anyone I can dive with safely (what is safety anyway, kind of a relative term)

I'm not some kind of elitist snob or anything- but "safety" as it relates to "diving" is pretty well defined. When you get to "tech diving", the definition gets pretty narrow. It involves stuff like having a dive plan.

....and diving your plan
.....with bailouts
i know the difference between right and wrong
wrong is usually the fun one
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

bigsky wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

....and diving your plan
.....with bailouts

Yeah. You don't have to be an elitist snob to know how long you're gonna be in the water. On a tech dive.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
bigsky wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

....and diving your plan
.....with bailouts

Yeah. You don't have to be an elitist snob to know how long you're gonna be in the water. On a tech dive.
Cherry picker
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

CaptnJack wrote:Cherry picker

Guilty as charged. I still think you should know how many cherries you're gonna pick, and how deep into the orchard you plan on going before you start, though. Not like I'm an elitist snob about it or anything. :stick:

rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Joshua Smith wrote:

Guilty as charged. I still think you should know how many cherries you're gonna pick, and how deep into the orchard you plan on going before you start, though. Not like I'm an elitist snob about it or anything. :stick:
I don't mind cherry pickers. Its the bell ringers I stay away from.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Joshua Smith wrote:

Josh I am a little confused, what defines a elitist snob in diving to you?
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

:blackblink: :koolaid: :angry:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Joshua Smith wrote:

I'm suspicious of disclaimers like "I'm not an elitist snob or anything..." Like the Seinfieldian "...not that there's anything wrong with that" or when you cop to watching Road Rules vs. Real World you can make it ok with "I was flipping channels the other day...."

Really they're mutually elusive. As someone from the east coast I urge everyone to revel in your elitism just don't be a snob about it.

-Eric
:eric: :koolaid: :blackblink: :penelope:
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Nwbrewer wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

This ain't about what you think this is about. And it has absolutely *nothing* to do with UTD/ DIR. Or any other training agency, for that matter. It's more of a personal thing. :gunslinger:

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

This ain't about what you think this is about. And it has absolutely *nothing* to do with UTD/ DIR. Or any other training agency, for that matter. It's more of a personal thing. :gunslinger:
I was just poking fun at where a lot of the elitist snobbery seems to come from. No harm intended.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

You guys are being elitist by not letting us in on it!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Tangfish wrote:You guys are being elitist by not letting us in on it!

That is what I thought :neener: I was just having some fun. it is not about anything either but i was fishing for an answer. Now i am even more intrigued. You guys opened the door and I could not resist poking my big nose in and takiing a look around. Nothing better to do today but fill all my tanks as I am right now. Pissing off the neighbors with the compressor and booster running.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
loanwolf wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Dammit Nailer you just pooed on my T-ball
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

Wow, Cherry Pickers, Elitists Snobs......
Sounds like alot of fun but does anyone actually dive around here?

Kirby