Dive by Braille at TTN

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Dive by Braille at TTN

Post by Tom Nic »

Had a great dive this morning at Three Tree!

Met Pogiguy & Bassman at our local mudhole for some H2O therapy this morning. Had hoped to be joined by Cardiver as well, but alas, being a Dad takes precedence over diving.

It was a welcome sight when I pulled in to the small parking area to see that Jeff had Mr. Canopy mostly set up. Can't say I was looking forward to gearing up in the morning rain. I jumped out and helped with the remainder, then Keith pulled in and we all started gearing up hoping that we remember how to do this!

Tide was WAY out, and viz was pretty much seeing eye in the shallows getting only slightly better as we went deeper. To say 10' would be way generous. Jeff almost landed on a Ratfish on our drop to about 60 FSW, and I didn't see a fish until the last few minutes of the dive when a couple of Striped Perch were flitting in and out of the tire piles and a flash of a small Scaleyhead caught my eye. Of course in this viz there could be schools of hundreds and you wouldn't see them unless they ran you over!

We went on down slope to our max MOD, around 111 fsw, poking around in the bottle field and trying to find something to take a picture of. There are a ton of Tritonias out and about, and oddly enough more Orange Sea Pens than I usually see here. Let's see, Swimming Anemone and the stray Plumose, a few California Sea Cucumbers, a couple Blood and Vermillion Stars, two Stimson's, a couple Leathers, no Sunflower Stars - yeah, pretty much a Spring dive in the Northwest.

We worked our way upslope, past the bowling ball pyramid, and ended the dive on the tires - 56 minutes, 49 degrees (46 actual), and most importantly - a dry undergarment! The new zipper that USIA put in worked flawlessly. Hurrah for diving dry!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that my "hybrid" USIA has Bare boots on it (the USIA ones blew out after 900 dives) and Tacoma Scuba did a great job putting in new boots. They are slightly wider than the USIA boots and had been a pain to put on and take off until I remembered the Silicone spray in my kit. Spritz spritz, problem solved!

Jeff & Keith wussed out (I mean made a reasoned decision to forego) of the second dive, so we only got the one in. Keith decided to bring a coconut back with him that he found on the dive - I am still recovering from the smell... :penelope: But, in spite of the stink, still a great morning.

Thanks guys for a couple great dives! I might post a few pics, but even macro was a challenge in this pea soup. Thanks for reading!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive by Braille at TTN

Post by Jeremy »

Nice dive report - if TTN is bad...most of the sound must be pretty bad.

Here's my diving by Braille report...at 95 ffw in the middle of a cave during class today we had a total light failure. Pitch black! Had to feel our way out with our fingers....
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeremy wrote:Nice dive report - if TTN is bad...most of the sound must be pretty bad.

Here's my diving by Braille report...at 95 ffw in the middle of a cave during class today we had a total light failure. Pitch black! Had to feel our way out with our fingers....
:eek:

I like my report better. That would be pretty darn scary.

:eek:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I thought all you GUE guys carried 2 backup lights. So you had 3 light failures?
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Nine. Each of them has three . . . it's amazing how fragile gear is in the presence of GUE instructors.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Lights out exit drill - fun stuff! Even more fun when you're carrying sidemount tanks and have to swap regs at each line tie-off point, without losing contact with the line of course.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Dive by Braille at TTN

Post by kdupreez »

:) Feeling your way out of a cave is somewhat gnarly..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

kdupreez wrote::) Feeling your way out of a cave is somewhat gnarly..
It's a whole lot gnarly! That's why I ain't interested. :eek:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Dusty2 wrote:It's a whole lot gnarly! That's why I ain't interested. :eek:
hehe - but to be fair, typically if you screw viz up, 99% chance that its not screwed up in the entire cave, just that small piece.. in places where it has flow, the flow will move the bad viz somewhere else in couple minutes.. in no flow caves, a few minutes of moving will get you out of the bad area fairly quick..

but yeah, not on my high list of fun things, but its great to know that it can be done and to have practiced it a few times..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White