Alki Cove II

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Alki Cove II

Post by YellowEye »

Hi
ScubaJess, Laura (not a member here, but hopefully soon) and I went to Cove2 today. We were going to go to the Junk Yard, but the winds kept us to the cove.

Dive 1: Plan was to check out the squat lobsters and maybe some stubby squid eggs living in the rockpile uphill and north from the I-Beams. We came across a huge pile of green urchins at about 60' -- unusual! We found what looked to be an octo on eggs nearby as well (white octo, but we didn't look close enough to see the eggs). Oops, guess its been a while since I was doing deeper dives in cove2, because I totally mis-nav'd the dive and ended up on a dolphin rather than the rockpile. A little deeper than I would have liked. We did see a red brotula (!!) and I also saw a small market squid, but my camera wasn't focusing(!).

Dive 2: nice relaxing dive to the honeybear. There was an octo under the bow as usual, and another near by as well. We saw no gunnels in the shallow rockpile, wheras a couple weeks ago we saw over a dozen. Highlights of the dive were the pairs of gunnels and the red sausage jelly shown below. There were no decorated warbonnets in the usual locations. Hope they're ok. The best pilings are more covered with barnacles now, where they used to be covered more with sponges.

Oh, and we saw coulterboy on the surface interval. Great to see him!
DSC_1470.jpg
DSC_1476.jpg
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Re: Alki Cove II

Post by KeithBoll »

I haven't been to Alki Cove in quite a while! How was the viz?
Nice pics- thanks for sharing!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Hi Keith!
The viz was pretty good. 15 feet or so. I've had a long dry spell from Cove 2 as well, other than a few shallow ones with ScubaJess recently. It is a good one to go on a windy day, or at night. I should go back and find that octo on eggs! I still don't have an octo on eggs pic! Let me know if you want to go. Or anywhere else, I'd enjoy diving with you some time.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Hey YellowEye,

Thanks for diving with me again!! It's always a blast!!! Your pics turned out fantastic! I cannot belive how cute and small those fish were that were inside the bottle!! Super cute!! Also that Red Sausage jelly is really neat!!!
I can't wait till the next dive!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Nice to see you too Eric, and nice pics. It was a pleasure meeting Jessica and Laura. I had a nice dive with my friend, Paul, who is still a newb, and helped him with weighting to improve his trim and buoyancy.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

coulterboy wrote:Nice to see you too Eric, and nice pics. It was a pleasure meeting Jessica and Laura. I had a nice dive with my friend, Paul, who is still a newb, and helped him with weighting to improve his trim and buoyancy.
It was great to meet you!!
I hope we can dive together up north sometime! :)
Have a happy Thanksgiving!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: