Cozumel Dive Trip – 2/23 through 3/2

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Cozumel Dive Trip – 2/23 through 3/2

Post by Scubie Doo »

I recently got back from a great trip to Cozumel with Mr. and Mrs. gDog. Cozumel had (by far) the best food of any dive destination I have been to. The people were fantastic and the diving was great. I have not labeled the photos, but here is a brief recap of the trip.

Day 1 – 2/23 – Dive 1
Aldora Villa – 20’ for 80 Minutes
Arrived at the hotel (Casa Mexicana), got unpacked and then headed to Aldora Villa for a check-out dive to get my weighting down. Had a nice shallow/long dive. Sawa few nice critters and a couple of scorpionfish locked at the mouth. I got pretty close and they shot off and scared the crap out of me.

Day 2 – 2/24 – Dives 2, 3, and 4
Columbia Deep – 96’ for 57 Minutes
Santa Rosa Wall – 79’ for 69 Minutes
Delilah – 59’ for 84 Minutes
This was our first day on the boat with Aldora. We had some nice/long dives on some amazing wall/reef structures. Saw the biggest green moray eel of my life and my very first Toad Fish.

Day 3 – 2/25 – Dives 5, 6, 7, and 8
Canterell (Eagle Ray Wall) – 85’ for 62 Minutes
Balonas Shallows – 54’ for 43 Minutes
Seahorse Dive – 20’ for 21 Minutes
Santa Rosa Shallows (Night) – 54’ for 62 Minutes
This day was a mix of dives. Eagle Ray Wall was amazing, saw several Eagle Rays gliding along. Balonas shallows was a pretty “junky” dive. Viz was bad, very sandy, but got to see a Batfish. Our dive was cut a little short because we lost one person. The night dive was phenomenal and by far, my best photography dive of the trip.

Day 4 – 2/26 – Dives 9 and 10
Kukulkan Cenotes – 47’ for 32 Minutes
Chac Mool – 41’ for 44 Minutes
On Thursday we dove the Cenotes in Playa Del Carmen. They were absolutely amazing. My pictures do not do the site justice. In fact, no pictures/videos can show the awesomeness of these sites. I decided to shoot without any strobes. First, and didn’t want to be distracted with the strobes and second, I wanted to capture the sunrays without flash.

Day 5 – 2/27 – Dive 11, 12, 13, and 14
Palancar Caves – 91’ for 67 Minutes
San Francisco – 65’ for 76 Minutes
Punta Taneche (sp) – 68’ for 64 Minutes
Seahorse Dive – 32’ for 72 Minutes
This was another amazing day filled with cool dive sites and experiences. The highlight was going back to the Seahorse Dive site and spending some quality time with the horses. This was my first time seeing seahorses, how cool are they! Awesome stuff.

Day 6 – 2/28 – Dives 15, 16, and 17
Columbia Deep – 105’ for 56 Minutes
Columbia Shallows – 28’ for 107 Minutes
Chanakuub (sp) (Night) – 49’ for 63 Minutes
This was a special day because dive #17 was my 600th dive. It was an amazing day, we had a ton of fun on the long shallow dive and the night dive.

Day 7 – 3/1 – Dives 18 and 19
Santa Rosa Wall – 71’ for 69 Minutes
Francesca – 66’ for 82 Minutes
This was the last day of diving. It was an awesome and quiet day. Time for reflection and realizing I need to head back to the grind ☺

Thank you gDog for such a great trip. Can't wait to see your pics and corrections to my attempt at naming the sites :-)
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Cozumel Dive Trip – 2/23 through 3/2

Post by ScubaJess »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great pictures!!!!! It would have been so great to go down there with you guys. I'm sad we missed each other by a week. I'm so glad you guys were able to take pictures of all those amazing critters!!! Fantastic colors and lighting! Hope to see you at a ThThTh soon and cannot wait to see GDogs pics too!

I love Santa Rosa wall!!!
Do you rembember who your dive master was? Aldora is awesome! :eric:
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Yes, we had Adrienne, Rachel, Adam, and Ricardo as dive masters. All were great in thier unique ways :) Aldora kicked ass!
bradmond
Submariner

Post by bradmond »

I was anxious to go before I saw this, now I need to be medicated. Going May 9, thanks for posting.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Corrected Dive Site Listings:
Dive #1 - Villa Aldora Shore Dive
Dive #2 - Colombia Deep
Dive #3 - Santa Rosa Wall
Dive #4 - Punta Dalila
Dive #5 - Cantarel (Eagle Ray Wall)
Dive #6 - Bolones de Chankanaab
Dive #7 - Seahorse Shore Dive (Still looking for Site name)
Dive #8 - Santa Rosa Shallows
Dive #9 - KuKulkan (Cenotes)
Dive #10 - Chac Mool (Cenotes)
Dive #11 - Palancar: Caves
Dive #12 - San Francisco Wall
Dive #13 - Punta Tunich
Dive #14 - Seahorse Shore Dive
Dive #15 - Colombia Deep
Dive #16 - Colombia Shallows
Dive #17 - Chankanaab
Dive #18 - Santa Rosa Wall
Dive #19 - La Francesca
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

bradmond wrote:I was anxious to go before I saw this, now I need to be medicated. Going May 9, thanks for posting.
Have fun dude, hit up George for all the good eating spots. He knows that place well, we ate like kings :-)
ratfishlvr
Avid Diver

Post by ratfishlvr »

Great pictures! June can't soon enough for me so I can get down there.
Thanks for all the info too!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow Jesse. Awesome shots! I haven't even started going thru mine, but hope to start this weekend
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pics Jesse.

I will pick your brain on this.

Would love some details - where you stayed, comparison to Bonaire, package deal? Food? etc etc

Need to get off my rear and spend a week here.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Tom Nic wrote:Great pics Jesse.

I will pick your brain on this.

Would love some details - where you stayed, comparison to Bonaire, package deal? Food? etc etc

Need to get off my rear and spend a week here.
Gdog is your man. He is what Tom Nic is to Bonaire :) I am sure he will add to this with all the good info (ie food, hotel, etc). George was awesome to go with.

And "yes", get off your rear and go :)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubie Doo wrote:
Tom Nic wrote:And "yes", get off your rear and go :)
I've got friends who live in Playa Del Carmen / Cancun, so I have a good excuse to go hang out with them and then take a week to go diving in Coz.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Did you guys do a package or pay alacarte?

Not seeing package pricing on Aldora's website.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Oh, and your pictures are off the hook Jesse. Really, really, really nice....
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Thanks Tom! We paid ala carte. Very comparable to bonaire (price wise). A little more expensive due to boat fees. However I will let gdog explain. He is the cozumel king. If it wasn't for him and his lovely wife, I wouldn't have made it :)
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Tom, there are many many many dive ops in Cozumel. Aldora is one of the better ones, and one of only two ops that use tanks bigger than AL80. Jesse and I dove steel 120, my wife dove steel 100.
With Aldora, there is no price break on multiple dive days. Its $93 for a two tank dive. $55 for a one tank dive. $60 for a night dive. You could dive with say Deep Blue, and get two tank dive for $80, and discount for multiple dive days, but they like the other 100+ dive ops use AL80s. If you are good with that then rock on!
Id be happy to answer any questions you have about Cozumel. I may not be able to answer all of them, but we have been going there since 2004 so we have a bit of experience there. And honestly, diving is only half the reason to go. The food is the other half!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Jesse: as usual: fantastic pictures. Love the seahorse picture and the colors that you managed to capture in the background. Nice job and I 'm so glad you had the opportunity to visit Cozumel! Makes me want to book a flight and return!

Keith
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

KeithBoll wrote:Jesse: as usual: fantastic pictures. Love the seahorse picture and the colors that you managed to capture in the background. Nice job and I 'm so glad you had the opportunity to visit Cozumel! Makes me want to book a flight and return!

Keith
Keith, thank you very much for the kind words. It was an amazing trip. I would definitely go back. It was an all around great trip. The only downside is that I thought I'd lose a few pounds diving. But the food was so good, I could only maintain status quo :)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Not a video expert by any means. I will leave that to the talented ones on this site :-) Here is some footage from Cozumel :-)

Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey Jesse nice video work! Very fun to watch, great memories.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:Hey Jesse nice video work! Very fun to watch, great memories.
Ummm, not to stir the pot, but where are your badass photos :) love to see them in the thread...
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Scubie Doo wrote:
Gdog wrote:Hey Jesse nice video work! Very fun to watch, great memories.
Ummm, not to stir the pot, but where are your badass photos :) love to see them in the thread...
Its kinda like bringing my granddaughters home waterpainting to a Picasso art gallery, but ..
IMG_20150319_110521.jpg
Anyway, here are some of the better ones...
Chac Mool Entrance.jpg
Cenote Beauty.jpg
Villa Blanca Seahorse 2.jpg
Spotted Eagle Ray.jpg
Spotted Drum (2).jpg
Splendid Toadfish.jpg
Flamingo Tongue (3).jpg
Columbia Shallows Christmas Tree Worms.jpg
Caribbean Reef Squid 2.jpg
Brown Toadfish.jpg
Basket Star on Coral.jpg
It was a great trip, great diving. Thanks for going with us Jesse!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Awww, BS. These are awesome. What about your double seahorse shot. I love that one!

Good work, these are great.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

That one is kinda cool.
Pair of Seahorses.jpg
We gotta go back there someday!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I smell a Gdog lead Cozumel dive trip hopefully in the near future which I mean next year. 2016 :popcorn: :smt064 :stir:

I wish I could say the same about my trip to the Philippines but the reefs in the area I was diving have been devistated by typhoons and there was not much life especially macro life for your Photography needs. IMHO but then I dont know about the other many dive sites there. I was diving Apo Island and the Negros Oriental coast around what is known as Dauin (city) which has alot of small resorts along the coast there.

Great pics definitely makes me want to go but with someone who has been there of course and knows the lay of the land. ;-)
Jeff Castor
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Heck ya on the double seahorses!