great day to dive the hood

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

the water today was perfect! Nice and glassy with no wind, made a great boat ride. The vis looked like it was going to be good, but was bad between 16 & 45'. After that it opened up to about 30' vis, just a little dark.
Lots of nudis starting to show up. Found pieces of an octopus tentacle that something tore off. Everything sitting on eggs and lots of young life.
Had a 4' ling cod come cruising by me and had to chase him down to figure out what he had in his mouth and it looked to be a sole about twice the size of the ling's head, but he was still choking it down.
Attachments
012 (1024x723).jpg
009 (1024x677).jpg
004 (1024x653).jpg
003 (1024x680).jpg
002 (1024x680).jpg
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: great day to dive the hood

Post by Dusty2 »

nice!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, you saw a salt and pepper nudi, too! Thanks for the report; I'll be diving on the Pac Adventures boat on Sunday, and I hope for similar luck on critter sightings.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

LCF wrote: I'll be diving on the Pac Adventures boat on Sunday, and I hope for similar luck on critter sightings.
You better ask to dive flagpole as the other areas don't have the life that flagpole has. The salt and pepper seems to be in the sand above the knuckle to the north. good luck!
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mrtheandrew »

Nice pics! I was at octopus hole thursday night and the vis was terrible all the way down to 70'. The wall looked abandoned. The weather was great, though!
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

LCF wrote: Thanks for the report; I'll be diving on the Pac Adventures boat on Sunday, and I hope for similar luck on critter sightings.
Lynn, Went diving today at 2 of the three Pulali sites and the vis was terrible and we found no life to take pictures of except for a few fish. The highlight of the day was all the eagles grabbing lunch and eating them in the trees
Attachments
DSC_0005.jpg
DSC_0006.jpg
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Great fun diving a Flagpole this weekend! Here are a couple of other pics! It was nice to see a stubby squid out in the open - a rarity for Flagpole - he was pretty good sized, too!
Attachments
04 18 15 Stubby Squid Close Up (1 of 1).jpg
04 18 15 flabelinna trillineata (1 of 1).jpg
04 18 15 pair of Albus Dendronotus (1 of 1).jpg
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Keith, that third pic is really cool. Love the composition. It is also cool how one nudi (left) is in the opposite side of the branch. Nice eye on that shot :)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We dove West Wall and the Pinnacle today. Viz from about 15 feet to 40 or so was fairly poor, but above and below that band, it was actually quite nice. ALL the burrowing sea cucumbers, white and orange, were out of their crevices and actively feeding. West wall had an enormous school of mixed rockfish, and the Pinnacle had the usual, huge vermilion, as well as some of the biggest giant white dorids I've ever seen. The midwater was full of sea gooseberries and comb jellies, and the best part of the whole dive for me was seeing some of the comb jellies FEEDING. And of course, we saw millions of squat lobsters and black-eyed gobies, and HUGE ling cod.

Not the most amazing dives ever, but well worth doing.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

deep diver wrote:
LCF wrote: I'll be diving on the Pac Adventures boat on Sunday, and I hope for similar luck on critter sightings.
You better ask to dive flagpole as the other areas don't have the life that flagpole has. The salt and pepper seems to be in the sand above the knuckle to the north. good luck!
I figured that might be where y'all went when I saw the S&P nudi ... I got a pic of one there last week-end at the same place (north of the Knuckle). There's a ton of nudis on the southwest side as well ... as you're heading back toward shore. But they're more predominantly flabellinas ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
IMG_7207.jpg
Attachments
IMG_7242.jpg
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/