TTN: Squid Mating in the Shallows

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

TTN: Squid Mating in the Shallows

Post by KeithBoll »

I went back on Sunday to try to capture more photos of the octo hatchlings. Had fun using my diopter and got a pic or two that I was happy with. Then - I went further north and just hung out in the shallows (15 feet). I encountered a school of op. squids, mating. I had seen a number of egg clusters in the area - but did not expect to see what I saw. It was surreal - watching this group of squid circle this particular area - and then joining and mating. Very cool to see - and a unexpected addition to the afternoon's dive!
Attachments
Octo Hatchling in Water Stream Close Up (1 of 1).jpg
Octo Hatchling by Shells Close Up (1 of 1).jpg
Op. Squids Mating by Sea Floor (1 of 1).jpg
Op. Squids Mating (1 of 1).jpg
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: TTN: Squid Mating in the Shallows

Post by Scubie Doo »

Wow, two amazing encounters in one dive. And you have awesome photos to share. Can't beat that :)
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow. Very cool. And great shots!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool. We might have come across the same squid mating nest the other day too. In the shallows fairly close to the octo den, and away from the fishermen :) So cool.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Really Great pictures Keith. It's so amazing to see those baby's come out of the den. Also those squid are super cool to watch, we looked at their eggs and saw movement inside. Maybe they will hatch soon too.
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco: