Spectacular Dive at Redondo tonight

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Spectacular Dive at Redondo tonight

Post by Zen Diver »

I haven't posted here in a few years but after a spectacular dive and meeting 2 NWDCers underwater & again topside, I had to share this :)

Had an incredible dive with Jackie tonight and was so glad that Redondo showed off nicely for my friend Tom. Viz wasn't outstanding but it was sufficient enough to find 2 red octos, one of which was tucked into the statue at the carrousel boat, a juvenile wolfeel in her den & again later out & about, 3 huge GPOs, one of which was out in the open just hanging out by the 60' boat. When it tried to crawl under the boat he was surprised to find it already occupied by the rather moribund appearing elder octopus. We hung with it for ages before finally having to take our leave.

Great dive with 2 good friends & met 2 new friends underwater who shared stories after (and thanks for not bringing your cameras gentlemen, thus insuring spectacular finds) on a gloriously sunny summer day. Pretty darn perfect methinks.

-Valerie
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
bschnabel
Avid Diver

Re: Spectacular Dive at Redondo tonight

Post by bschnabel »

Outstanding pictures. It was great meeting you underwater where all the activity was happening. Great timing, we will be sure to forget our cameras more often! Glad we could offer lighting support.

Brent
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Thanks Brent, for your kind words, critter spotting & light! :notworthy:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great report, great pics, thanks for telling the story here!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
bschnabel
Avid Diver

Post by bschnabel »

On top of what you saw, we saw a total of 6 octos on this dive. 3 Very large ones, the one outside of the boat was amazing. We also saw a small one at the small boat heading towards the VW munching on a crab. Several Egg-Yolk Jellies, more fish than I usually ever see there. It was a great dive. Viz turned bad when we got near the VW and current picked up. We turned around and spent some more time hanging out with the GPO outside the boat. Glad we got to connect with you on land afterwards.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Hey nice shots! Thanks for sharing!
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

W00t! Sometimes redondo just comes together doesn't it? Great pics... thanks for sharing. Ps you have a really cool dive buddy!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by ScubaJess »

Amazing pics!!!! It's always the coolest thing ever to see Octos on a walkabout! You are lucky to have such a great dive Buddy too! I'd love to dive with you guys sometime! :)
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
scubamamacita
Avid Diver

Post by scubamamacita »

Sebastian says that these photos are amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Valerie, you sure know how to reenter the forum ! Great photos of our PNW icon. Good to know you are still diving and did not forget how to take pictures ! :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Likely that very same guy was out there last night!
:taco:

He may be a male waiting in front of the female's den as they often do
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I miss your cheery voice around here Val! How many octos do we need to keep you around these parts? :P