BONAIRE - January 2014

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: BONAIRE - January 2014

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:Jeff, what is that in the first pic?
Looks like a baby Lionfish.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I thought it was, but I've never seen one with the coloration and the circles quite like that.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Yeh it was a small lion fish and I just was looking in the shallows at the end of the dive. It was about 5 feet next to shore.
Jeff Castor
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Scubie Doo wrote:
Gdog wrote:Jeff, what is that in the first pic?
Looks like a baby Lionfish.
Tiniest I have ever seen by far. Just about PSL size.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

this thread needs more posts !!!! , where is Cory and John R ...? more pics.. more pics
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Definitely more pics!!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

more details ... right Gdog ? I want to feel like I'm there!!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

H20doctor wrote:more details ... right Gdog ? I want to feel like I'm there!!
Buy a ticket.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

H20doctor wrote:this thread needs more posts !!!! , where is Cory and John R ...? more pics.. more pics
Good luck on that one. They subscribe to this strange idea called "vacation" and "relaxing". If I wasn't so exhausted I would ask them what that means.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Ok so we were up north doing some of the NON yellow rock named dive sites. Yet they call it Tailored Made. :BDub: Did the usual scope out the entry and nothing looked good, but we are PNW divers who are used to interesting diving. I almost called it but when the oldest and prettiest get geared up to go, what was I suppose to do wimp out. :rofl: So I was the last to try the entry and did pretty well until I went to put my fins on and realized I had forgotten them. SOOOOOO off I go to get them and managed to know BITE it getting out or back in again. We surface swim out and drop onto the reef and what do you know there is a pretty good current going to the north. Within about 5 minutes Tom turns to give what I thought was a definite dive cancelled and screw this sign, BUT I turned to start heading back in and noticed no one following. So as a good buddy I went back to diving and looking all while ducking behind reefs to get out of the current. Not many pictures on this dive as I think most fish were smarter then us humans and stayed home. The dive lasted about 45-50 minutes and Elise at the truck tells us she had only turned on her air a 1/4 turn and was wondering why her gauge read 1000 then 2000. Also that her wrist mounted dive computer fell off just at the truck. I have this feeling we will NOT be diving this site anytime soon.Besides it is out in the BOONIES of Bonaire.

An unnamed person says if you want more and better dive reports you should come do your own. :eek: :popcorn: :stir:
Attachments
P1150652.JPG
P1150633.JPG
Elise and Ethan at Karpata
Elise and Ethan at Karpata
Ethan and Tom Nic
Ethan and Tom Nic
Jeff Castor
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Thanks jeff... I would love to dive there, but my times are from feb to march... and sir Tom Nick always goes in May... Lol , thanks for the report keep them coming
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

H20doctor wrote: ....sir Tom Nick always goes in May... Lol , thanks for the report keep them coming
Dude - it's January. You should have come! We have been going in June because that is the best time for Bassman, but I realized I needed to "get out of dodge" in the Winter, so here I am.

I started this thread because I knew if I didn't it would be April before I got anything posted, and I was right... Dive, eat, sleep... someday I'll actually take a vacation - I'm getting a bit too old for this. :)

So, in keeping with the theme of being behind on picture work, here are a few shots from day 3. There has been lots of particulate in the water. Best viz day has been maybe 80... barely. Yesterday was terrible, 40' with an occasional hazy stretch to maybe 50, but it's Bonaire, so what they hey! Water temps are 77-78 (80-81 on my warm reading computer) and I am the lone hold-out in shorts and T-shirt.

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

A few Hilma Hooker shots...

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

And finally, a few from Salt Pier on a less than spectacular viz day.

Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Here are a couple links to some video I shot of our Bonaire dives. The video is not that great. I was experiencing a partial flood of my housing the entire trip!!! GGGRrrrrrr.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBr6KolR8io

This one is a night dive on the house wall right outside of the villa. I got to spend some time alone with a Giant 8' green Morey... The highlight of my trip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFBecmCKb00

This is a short clip if the wreck of the Hilma Hooker....