BONAIRE - May 2010

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

BONAIRE - May 2010

Post by Tom Nic »

Well here we go! WARNING - Long Report Ahead! The Short Version is here . I’ve divided things up into headings which can help you navigate your way through. If you just want pics, they are here, although I still have several days pics that I haven’t uploaded so you might want to check back.

Who: Tom Nic and wife Cindy, Tim M. and wife Kit, Bnboly and Bassman. The wives were the only non-divers, so deserve special kudos for enduring four smelly divers for two weeks. Much thanks to each of my friends for managing to put up with my craziness for a whole two weeks. Wonderful company, great peeps, ‘nuff said!

What: Two weeks of (hopefully) rest, relaxation and DIVING OUR FACES OFF! (Yes, I understand that those things can be somewhat contradictory, if not mutually exclusive.)

Where: Bonaire, Dutch Antilles. Bonaire is in the Southern Caribbean, 50 miles off the coast of Venezuela. Due to the far-sightedness of a few individuals the waters around Bonaire have been a Marine Park since the 1970’s. No spearfishing or fishing or collecting of anything from the shoreline to the 200 fsw level is allowed, and this has been fairly strictly (not perfectly) enforced.
Bonaire truly lives up to it’s billing as a Diver’s Paradise, IMHO!

Almost the entire leeward side of the island is diveable, and if you include the small leeward island of Klein Bonaire there are around 80 named dive sites on the Bonaire, most of the marked with a painted yellow rock, plus many more places that you can dive that aren’t marked.

Bonaire is a fairly small island that you can easily drive in a couple of hours tops. The resident population is around 12,000 people and approximately 75,000 divers a year visit the island and purchase a Marine Park Tag ($25.00) which allows you to dive for the calendar year. The annual diving fee and a $10.00 snorkeling fee for non-divers go to Stinapa, the organization that oversees the Marine Park.

Our Accommodations – there are multiple properties for pretty much every budget available for the visitor to rent, ranging from fairly Spartan to pretty luxurious homes. Most places can set you up with a rental truck and a dive package that includes tanks and weights and either air or nitrox. (Why wouldn’t you want to use nitrox for the diving here?!?) Most of the places that you get your tanks, weights, and gas through also have rental gear available should you so desire. Some places have meals that can be included in the price of your stay, and there is a fairly nice selection of restaurants if you want to go that direction. Info Bonaire and Bonaire Talk are two good places to start your research.

We stayed at The Golden Reef Inn, a small property to the North of the main town. It has 8 apartments, a small pool, and breakfast available. (They can make arrangements for other meals if you’re so inclined, but the price isn’t that great IMO.) I’ve stayed here every time I’ve come to Bonaire and just love it! It is clean and comfortable and a good value for the $$, and since my priority is diving (not laying by a swimming pool and getting a massage) it is just perfect, YMMV. They have a variety of packages available and have treated us very well every time we’ve gone.

The Diving: OH-MY-GOODNESS! I did 37 dives in two weeks and was definitely not pushing it. Most of the folks who came with us did around 30ish dives – we did mostly shallow, slow, 1 hour dives – I called them our “extended safety stop diving” as we would end up spending a good 30 minutes or more in the 20 to 25 fsw range taking pictures. Three of the four of us are photography junkies and even Bassman got into it with the underwater case for his Casio.

If your priority for a trip is DIVING then you’ll have a hard time finding a better bang for your buck than Bonaire, at least in the Caribbean. That’s a pretty bold statement, & in terms of some liveaboards or places with lots of great boat diving there are certainly comparable destinations. However, for sheer life and health of the reef combined with “grab your tanks and let’s go diving 24/7/365 and not dive the same site twice in 3 weeks” Bonaire just can’t be beat.

Bonaire bills itself as “the home of diving freedom”, I couldn’t agree more. On arrival we pick up a map of the island (complete with listings of around 80 dive sites – what island map has THAT on it?!) either in the airport or when we get our vehicle. In 4 trips and over 100 dives I’ve hit around 60 different dive sites, marked and unmarked, and never been disappointed.

Before you get there pick up the “Bible” of Bonaire shore diving, Susan Porter’s Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy”. It’s a small book, no pics, but worth WAY MORE than the glossy, picture filled books you’ll pick up on Bonaire. It is a “go to the big rock pile and turn left after the second tree” kind of book, and INVALUABLE for safely diving Bonaire’s abundant but sometimes not so easy to get into shore diving sites.

After getting our truck we purchase our Stinapa Tag, pick up weights, and proceed to fill up the truck with tanks and GO!

The Critters: Besides the diving freedom and 100’ viz Bonaire is about the critters for me. Do yourself a favor and pick up Humann and Deloach’s 3 Volume Reef set before you go. You can find it on Amazon for around $75, or you can get it at the REEF site and pay a little more but consider it a help to the cause.

The West (leeward) side of Bonaire has TONS of smaller fish and invert life – not many pelagics, though you may (and I have) see dolphins, stingrays, eagle rays, large tarpon, and great barracuda.

Sharks and more larger critters are more abundant on the East (windward) side of the island and there are operations that go there, and most of your diving ops will do guided trips for you. The East side is not called the wildside for nothing, and diving there on your own can literally get you killed if you’re not careful, and maybe even if you are careful. Save yourself the headache and do guided dives here, or better yet come in September when the trade winds die down and diving gets much easier here.

After the initial joyful “rush” to get tanks and weights and get in the water we begin to settle into a simple, daily, at times almost monastic routine. We talk over when and where we’re diving the next day, then grab some breakfast, sometimes take lunch, and head out for 2-4 dives.

Perhaps it’s because Bonaire isn’t new to me, perhaps it’s because I have 2 weeks instead of 1, perhaps it’s because I’m old and tired, but I find myself relaxing, slowing down, and letting the 85 degree water and underwater beauty soak into my soul. At first I take lots of pictures of as much stuff as I can, then I find myself slowing down even more and watching and waiting for that “one thing” that each dive seems to produce if I’ll watch for it. Sometimes that “one thing” will be a Reef Squid laying eggs or a Lettuce Slug or a Flamingo Tongue Cowrie.

Sometimes it will be as subtle and delicate as a cleaner shrimp, or Secretary Blenny, or even an unusually colored Christmas tree worm.

On some days it was a quarry that we had been hunting for some time, like a Seahorse or Frogfish.

Some days it would be an encounter with a school of Jacks, or the attack of the killer damselfish, or the unexpected opportunity to shoot a pic of a fish that to this moment would simply NOT hold still!

On other days it would be the absolutely unexpected – like this open jawed moment with an otherwise stationary Scorpionfish that left Keith and I shouting into our regulators in amazement.

Whatever the event, every dive brought its magical moments, and as one dive turned to two, then three, and as our days come one after another we entered a child like state of wonder and amazement combined with an anticipation that would deepen with each passing day.

I’ll always have a special place in my heart for this amazing little island, and God willing will always find time to return. This report doesn't even begin to cover our experience of two weeks. If you’re fortunate enough to get the opportunity to dive there I’m betting you will feel the same!

Thanks for reading,

Tom Nic
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Re: BONAIRE - May 2010

Post by ldevore »

Great report! ...and great info for those considering visiting Bonaire. ...Barb is rallying for us to go back in September, we had such a great time.

Lauri
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Really beautiful photos Tom - more reason to keep Bonaire near the top of my list of must-go places.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

ldevore wrote:Great report! ...and great info for those considering visiting Bonaire. ...Barb is rallying for us to go back in September, we had such a great time.

Lauri
Lauri - Time your trip to coincide with the coral spawning (not sure the predicted dates for this year....but usually around mid-September to early October). I've heard it is cool to see.

Tom - great, great, great pictures. It's almost like I'm there. Thanks for sharing. (Although it is doing nothing to help my PBD (post Bonaire depression). Next January cannot come soon enough.)
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

lizard0924 wrote:Tom - great, great, great pictures. It's almost like I'm there. Thanks for sharing. (Although it is doing nothing to help my PBD (post Bonaire depression). Next January cannot come soon enough.)
Thanks Liz! Really appreciate the kind words. And the only cure for PBD is to start planning another trip - but of course you know that!
lizard0924 wrote:
ldevore wrote:Great report! ...and great info for those considering visiting Bonaire. ...Barb is rallying for us to go back in September, we had such a great time.

Lauri
Lauri - Time your trip to coincide with the coral spawning (not sure the predicted dates for this year....but usually around mid-September to early October). I've heard it is cool to see.
Bassman and I are definitely (God willing and the crik not rising) planning another trip in May. NWDC should be well represented on Bonaire in the next year!

We hit the coral spawn in Sep of 08. I've got some pretty cool pics of barrel sponges "smoking". The spawn is a fun time for a photographer!

A couple of "tips" -
1) you can go online and search for the exact dates and plan your trip around the coral spawn - make your reservations ahead of time.
2) Be prepared to do ALOT of night diving, as that is the best time to get some of the more spectacular shots. In fact, I'd think seriously about doing multiple night dives and not as many day dives if seeing and photographing the coral spawn is your #1 goal. I've always heard people talk about doing that, never met anyone who's actually done it.
3) Also, I believe it's Buddy Dive (I think - you'd have to check) that actually plays host to either Paul Humann or Ned DeLoach (sorry I can't remember which) for an entire month. They are the authors of the REEF ID set. They give lectures and slide shows every evening and even lead some dives if I remember correctly. If you're interested you should be able to find details with a bit of searching.
4) IT WILL BE HOT! September and October are the two months of the year where the trade winds often die down. One of the things that makes the Caribbean and Hawaii so pleasant climate wise is the heat mitigating force that the trade winds are. When they go away you FEEL the climbing mercury! It's worth it, IMO, but just be aware.
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

whatevah wrote:Really beautiful photos Tom - more reason to keep Bonaire near the top of my list of must-go places.
Thank you!

So many great critters and great stories - it's hard to know where to start, so I just throw out snippets. We ought to start a thread entitled "Bonaire Stories", but then this IS a PNW board... :)
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Tom Nic wrote: Thanks for reading,

Tom Nic
No, Sir. THANK YOU for sharing! :smt038

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I can't believe all of the warm-water divers there are around here now....the neighborhood is sure going to Hell in a handbasket.... :smt064
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

John Rawlings wrote:I can't believe all of the warm-water divers there are around here now....the neighborhood is sure going to Hell in a handbasket.... :smt064
Don't be a hater, John. :)
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Not a hater....a teaser! (especially when it's my buddy, Tom!) :smt064

Trust me, as far as Western Hemisphere warm-water destinations go, Bonaire is hands down my favorite spot. I'd still rather head North, though....

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:I can't believe all of the warm-water divers there are around here now....the neighborhood is sure going to Hell in a handbasket.... :smt064
Guilty as charged. It's kind of like a bad virus that spreads by BS'ing.... :chat: ...and of course I've never done much for property values anyway, so too bad about the neighborhood! :tomnic:
John Rawlings wrote:Trust me, as far as Western Hemisphere warm-water destinations go, Bonaire is hands down my favorite spot.
At least you haven't totally lost your mind.
John Rawlings wrote: I'd still rather head North, though....

- John
And after diving Nootka Sound I couldn't agree with you more! :bounce:

However, it's pretty sad when I can go to Bonaire with unlimited diving and nitrox for a week, airfare & a rental truck included, for just about what it would take for me to do 3 dives a day for 7 or 8 days at most Vancouver Island destinations by the time you add up the food, gas, ferry, lodging, and cost of the boat dives & nitrox - using my own vehicle! Is it worth it? Absolutely! If I have my druthers it won't be either / or but both / and!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

sorry.. the report was too long for me to read... i have the attention span of a 3 month old!!!

But the pix are Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Thanks... I loved em'
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Waynne Fowler wrote:sorry.. the report was too long for me to read... i have the attention span of a 3 month old!!!

But the pix are Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Thanks... I loved em'
Thanks, & No worries - You're definitely not the only one with a short attention span!

And like I said - The Short Version is here .

Glad you took the time to look at a couple of pics.
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

With the amount of tanks we carted around I wonder if that truck will last to the end of it projected 4 year life?
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Those pics are fantastic, Tom! Were those all shot with your Casio and on board flash?
I think that it's time for me to head down there!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

cardiver wrote:Those pics are fantastic, Tom! Were those all shot with your Casio and on board flash?
I think that it's time for me to head down there!
Thanks Ron.

And yes, and yes to your questions. It's funny, in clear water I actually have to dial down my flash settings to "soft" for the macro shots or it washes them out. Some wider angle shots I shoot it at full power, and some shots in the shallows I don't use flash at all.

On another note I experimented with Magic Filters on 2 dives this trip. I used the "auto" one, and it actually worked quite nicely within the limitations proscribed by Magic Filters. I was impressed by the results. I used it on this dive and combined with the levels adjustment in photo editing software it gave some pretty nice results, IMO. I felt like it let me shoot some wide angle shots that I normally can't get, and when I had the right conditions (lots of ambient light, sun shining behind you on the subject) I got some wide angle shots that look like I was using dual strobes.

I wish I had used it more.

You need to plan to go with Keith and I next May!
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

Great report Tom. I have to disagree with you on one point. Both times we have stayed at Golden Reef Inn, we have included the dinner with our package and have found that not only was the price great, but the food was even better. We were able to eat 3 entrees each evening and were able to let Gibby, the cook, know what we were interested in and he always came through.

We wanted local food, so, each night, we would get a local fresh fish, a local food choice and an American style choice. We were well fed and definitely saved money over going out to eat or buying food and preparing our own meals.

Having someone else cook also allowed for more time to dive.
Tim
SSI Dive Control Specialist Instructor
REEF PNW AAT Level 5 Surveyor
REEF Hawaii Level 3 Surveyor
REEF Instructor - PNW Fish, PNW Advanced Fish, PNW Inverts, TWA, HAW, TEP, Cal Inverts and Algae
TimRenz.com creating comfortable, confident, and enthusiastic divers.
wenatchee
Avid Diver

Post by wenatchee »

Thank you for sharing this report with us. If I ever can go to Bonaire, I will print this report and use it to maximize the value of my trip. thanks again.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Great Pix Tom but I wish you would stop putting them on here. I hate having warm water envy! :banplz:

Just kidding of course. I have to live vicariously through you guys cause my budget doesn't allow such things. :dontknow:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

coachrenz wrote:Great report Tom. I have to disagree with you on one point. Both times we have stayed at Golden Reef Inn, we have included the dinner with our package and have found that not only was the price great, but the food was even better. We were able to eat 3 entrees each evening and were able to let Gibby, the cook, know what we were interested in and he always came through.

We wanted local food, so, each night, we would get a local fresh fish, a local food choice and an American style choice. We were well fed and definitely saved money over going out to eat or buying food and preparing our own meals.

Having someone else cook also allowed for more time to dive.
Gibby is an awesome cook, and all things being equal I couldn't agree with you more.

There are also a fine selection of restaurants within 10 minutes drive, and if your budget allows it they are a great way to relax, get some great food, and hang out "in town".

IT really depends on one's budget and how you want to set up your experience.

The last few times we decided to cook for ourselves. We brought 20lbs each of Rib Eye's, Chicken, Brats, and Ribs and then grilled meat each night as we unwould after our 4 dive day. Most of the time it was the perfect ending to a perfect day.

Either way you do it, it's all good. Again, that's one of the things I love about Bonaire - so many options! It's the home of Diving Freedom and Dinner Freedom as well! :burntchef: