Redondo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Redondo

Post by Octoloco »

Larry and I dove Redondo last night and our second dive lasted more than 80 minutes. I kind of felt like I might be a bit damp but there was no way I could have a leak and still be totally warm!?
Surfaced after 80+ minutes and because it was kind of cold, we stripped our gear before getting out of our suits. It was only then that I realized I was completely drenched, from neck to knees, not just the weezle but down to the skin!. The thing is - I wasn't cold in the least! Larry and I bought our first Weezles a couple of months ago and last night was a true testimony to their worth! Amazing stuff!! :joshsmith: :joshsmith: Thanks John Rawlings! :rawlings:

The first dive didn't produce much: couple of octopus, a stubby squid and a bunch of squid jigs.

On the second dive we went to the bottle field, found a bunch of octopus - big and small, a small snailfish, and a bunch of those nasty swimming worms! Headed over to the flats past the restaurant and found 2 more snailfish, a couple more tiny octopus, and a lumpsucker (Cardiver - this one was at 17').
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo

Post by John Rawlings »

Octoloco wrote: I kind of felt like I might be a bit damp but there was no way I could have a leak and still be totally warm!?

Surfaced after 80+ minutes and because it was kind of cold, we stripped our gear before getting out of our suits. It was only then that I realized I was completely drenched, from neck to knees, not just the weezle but down to the skin!. The thing is - I wasn't cold in the least! Larry and I bought our first Weezles a couple of months ago and last night was a true testimony to their worth! Amazing stuff!! :joshsmith: :joshsmith: Thanks John Rawlings! :rawlings:
You're welcome, Kathy....and thank YOU for the business plug! I had a similar experience years ago up in Barkley Sound. I leaked like a sieve all week but was able to keep on diving - my Weezle literally saved my trip!

- John :rawlings:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Is this Weezle you speak of some sort of undergarment? If it is, maybe I should look into them...I freeze to death on pretty much every dive I go on. Well, it generally happens once I get into shallower water at the end of the dive and I have to dump air from my suit. Its not uncommon for me to come up so cold that I cant even unbuckle my fins after a 45-50 min dive
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Weezle is da bomb! Warm is good!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Mortuus wrote:Is this Weezle you speak of some sort of undergarment? If it is, maybe I should look into them...I freeze to death on pretty much every dive I go on.
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13824
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yep, Weezles are freaking amazing. When John and I went to Prince Rupert a few years ago, my drysuit zipper failed on the first dive. On a liveaboard. In the back of beyond. I did 2 dives a day for 5 straight days, completely flooded. The Weezle made it tollerable, and whatever the crazy stuff they're made from is, it will keep you warm even when wet, AND it dries out rapidly. I would peel it off and hang it up in between dives, and it was pretty much dry in a few hours. Saved an epic trip for me, it did. I heart my Weezle.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

I love my Weezle!!!
K
"Let's go diving!"
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Sounds like you guys and gals and your weezles need to get a room and have a weezle snuggle moment :nutty:

Happy Valentines Day a little early :taco:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5slQYiXAgI[/youtube]
Jeff Castor
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I finally scraped together the coin to buy myself a custom Weezle Extreme Plus. Some of my friends dive the Extreme, and love them, but a few of them occasionally get chilly in the coldest part of the Winter after a long day of diving. I am too cheap and too ?? to spend that much on an undergarment that wouldn't keep me warm ALL the time, so I bought the Extreme Plus and am REALLY glad I did. I have been toasty warm all Winter in water down to the low 40's, and am loving it! I may switch to a lighter undergarment later as the water warms, or even pick up another Weezle, but I now have no issues with or fears of getting cold!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

John Rawlings wrote:
Mortuus wrote:Is this Weezle you speak of some sort of undergarment? If it is, maybe I should look into them...I freeze to death on pretty much every dive I go on.
Thanks for the link to that thread. However like that first commenter, I dont really like the idea of spending $310 only to find out that it isnt that big of a difference. I plan on going to the club dive at Redondo in 5 days though. So I dont suppose anyone had an extra Weezle that I could try out? I am 6'2"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:
Thanks for the link to that thread. However like that first commenter, I dont really like the idea of spending $310 only to find out that it isnt that big of a difference. I plan on going to the club dive at Redondo in 5 days though. So I dont suppose anyone had an extra Weezle that I could try out? I am 6'2"
Aren't you diving cobbled together fleece right now? Or am I mixing up different people asking about undergarments?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Im diving with a Diving Concepts brand undergarment that came with my drysuit. Although ive been freezing my ass off so now ive started just putting a ton more layers on. Two thin fleece shirts, my cotton t shirt on top, then my undergarment, then my sweatshirt on top of the underagarment. That was my latest "configuration". Id rather not put on more layers though. Id rather just have a more effective one. John said he'd let me borrow a Weezle for the club dive though, so I cant wait to try this thing out =D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The DC probably came with 200 gm thinsulate. I don't know how many dives you have with yours, I found it didn't last very long. Mine has probably 250(?) dives so its strictly my mexico and florida undergarment now.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

I only have like 20 dives with it. Approximately. Most of my diving so far has been warm water. You use a dry suit in warm water? Damn! You must get cold easily?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus wrote:I only have like 20 dives with it. Approximately. Most of my diving so far has been warm water. You use a dry suit in warm water? Damn! You must get cold easily?
70-100min dives with deco. Drysuit is backup buoyancy and pretty much required IMO when diving double steel tanks in freshwater regardless of the temp. Of course having adjustable insulation is a hedge against getting cold with increased risk of DCS. I only use my smushed out 200gm which is probable about 100gm by now. Water is about 68F in FL and about 77-79 in MX. I would use a drysuit over a wetsuit pretty much anywhere though, just with less and less insulation.

I don't really know anyone using 200gm thinsulate in Puget Sound in winter who's satisfied and "warm" after 50-60+mins.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Ahh, tech. I just assumed rec in warm water due to the hassle of traveling with all your gear or renting a ton of stuff. The cold factor + the inability to surface when deco is needed is the biggest reason I am looking into new undergarments. Im not tech certified yet, but once I gather up some cash I will start tech training. And I know for a fact that I would not be able to complete a dive involving deco with my current undergarment. I can do a 50 minute rec dive right now (limited only by me freezing my ass off, not air supply). It might be painful towards the end, but I can tough it out. But I refuse to risk that when deco is involved. So using a dry suit in warm water would definitely make sense for that :)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I don't rent anything but tanks. I may be force to someday if baggage weight limits keep getting smaller. I think my drysuit is actually lighter than my 7mm wetsuit. I don't know how many divers I have seen on even recreational dives who are cold. They hop into 75F water in their 3mm wetsuits, burn through 15% more gas, and huddle around in towels after the dive, then debate doing the 2nd or 3rd dive while I'm looking for a colder coke in the drink box.

I think I am forever done with wetsuits for diving. They are dedicated to Newfoundland water dog training in July and August.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Really? Ive never seen anyone in a wetsuit get cold in water like that. 75 is warm as hell! Only time I ever got cold in 75 degree water was when I was an idiot and I left my wetsuit as home lol. I got certified in warm water. Didnt start to appreciate that till I started diving up here xD
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus wrote:Really? Ive never seen anyone in a wetsuit get cold in water like that. 75 is warm as hell! Only time I ever got cold in 75 degree water was when I was an idiot and I left my wetsuit as home lol. I got certified in warm water. Didnt start to appreciate that till I started diving up here xD
A 10+knot breeze on a boat in even 80deg air gets pretty cool pretty fast. If its a cloudy day there's even more towel huddling going on.

I don't think 75deg water is esp warm honestly. Most of the local cave divers in MX are either in 7mm wetsuits or drysuits and its ~78f in the caves there. The non-locals flying in from up north tolerate it slightly better. I have worn both and won't bother with a wetsuit again. Even without peeing in them they get pretty gross fast too.