The Lava Dome

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

The Lava Dome

Post by Sockmonkey »

I dove today with a club from one of the local shops close by. I had a great day with some seriously nice people but it took me a while to let go of my pacnorwest scuba snobbery. I'm learning not to judge. With that said I sure miss the pool of talented like minded divers to choose from. This in fact may be a tough dive report to write because I could easily slip into making fun of these folks and I really have no grounds to do so. The thing that dawned on me about many divers in and around Seattle is how intellectual they are about diving. Ok not intellectual because I can imagine Pez thinking "But... but... I'm a clown!" How about thoughtful... thoughtful divers. And even a clown can be a thoughtful diver. While the folks I got in the water today weren't vacation divers nor were they strokes (unless you use Sounder's definition... which means most of us are strokes in his view) but they just didn't think as much about what they were doing. That doesn't mean they are unsafe divers, just different. Then again not every diver plans the dive and dives the plan. Most of the folks took a great interest in my bp/w and 7' hose. I explained the whys as best I could and I think they got it. In fact the guy who runs the shop joked about throwing an out of air at me during the dive to see it in action. I'm sorry he didn't but I know he will next time.

The one thing about a club dive out of a one man dive shop in Hawaii is that things sorta happen on Big Island time. The shop doesn't have a boat and caters to mostly local folks who want to shore dive. He's the only instructor and the shop itself is about the size of Bubbles on Alki. I arrived early because I have no idea how long it takes to drive anywhere. I showed up about 0845 for a 0900 meet at the shop. Once people showed up, woke up, called, called back, and got organized it was 1030 by the time we got in our cars to go. It was 1115 when we finally made with the splishy splash (as Kate would say). I wasn't impatient or annoyed and sorta enjoyed the process, or lack there of. Other local folks stopped by the shop and retold tales of a pool party the night before. I guess part of the problem of the late start was many members of the "club" were hungover. The town is small enough that one or two parties can create a totally different morning social dynamic. And to be totally fair these folks weren't really part of a club per se... just a bunch of local folks that the dive shop owner is friends with and he enjoys diving with them. I can dig it.

Here's the dive shop:

It was decided to hit a spot called the Lava Dome. On site there was some debate on why it's called that, but from what I've read on the Internets it is because of the huge ass mushroom shaped coral covered lava formations. Of which none of my photos came out. On top of one is one of the many moorings that are placed up and down the coast to stop folks from destroying the coral with their anchors. You can see one of the local dive boats tied up to it in one of my photos of the site. At one point I guess you could just drive your 4x4 down to the site but a housing development put up some fencing recently so we were forced to walk down to the water from the parking lot. This part of the Big Island is known to be the driest in the whole state. Total desert. I pulled my wetsuit to my waist and threw my rig on and marched on down with one of the dudes. I'm sorry I didn't take more photos of the way up and down because it was pretty fun.

Site survey from on high. You can just make out one of the guys laying around in his wetsuit cooling off in the water. Also on the opposite side is signs of progress. Someone building a house in this pristine area. Progress sucks:

Trixie the dog hanging out waiting for her owner to stop fooling around in the water. The lava is pretty dramatic no? The dive boat is visible in this photo.

The rest of the gang making their way down to the water. For some reason they chose a different way to get in so we met them around the point and dropped down all together in 30 feet of water.

Looking back at the entry... uh... soon to be exit:

The site is like the other Big Island sites I've been to. Lava ridges encrusted with coral. In and around these ridges are of course caves. I didn't venture into any this time. I figure I'll get to know these folks better before I find myself in an overhead environment. Plus by the time someone found a sleeping white tip my camera had run mostly out of batteries and I didn't want to use the flash. We dropped down in 30 feet and headed deep quickly. Actually everything they did was kinda quick compared to the pace I'm used to. Early on one of the guys sat right down on the sandy bottom in 50 feet of water and grabbed his fin tips to stretch. I didn't get over him fast enough to get him stretching but here he is relaxing:

The good doctor asked for a picture of a trigger and a wrasse. I wasn't fast enough for the wrasse and the flash didn't go off for the trigger. But here ya go buddy:

Here's a parrot... man are these fish fast! I'm going to need a camera that takes pictures faster than I can click:

My dive buddy:

The site dropped down to 80 feet and probably continued deeper. I wasn't interested in wasting my gas laying around the sand so as my dive buddy swam around in 80 feet I hung out 30 feet above him not being narced on 21%. In this photo I was about 25 or so feet above him as he noodled around:

Dr. Eelenstien:

Crown of thorns starfish. The most Tim Burton animal ever. The huge version of this photo has nice detail of it's colorings and markings:

Halfway up the walk back to my truck. Purdy sky no?

Getting out was kinda fun. The rocks I slid down on my bum to get in were slightly more awash as we climbed out. I ended up sliding on my stomach making seal noises and waiting for a wave to deposit me on a lava rock. I'm sorry I didn't have the thought to take a photo of the exit. I could see that being tricky in any sort of swell action.

I was able to finally use a DIN AL80 and I was psyched because my new DIN converter was bruising the back of my head. I'm still not quite trimmed out properly or maybe I just miss my doubles. It also could be the H STA sits so high up that I feel tippy. Maybe a DSS wing sans STA is in my future to keep the tank lower to my body. I think this site is going to become a staple of mine. Close to work and in spite of the walk pretty easy to get in and out. Rumor has it that the mantas really dig this spot so I'm totally bringing 21 watts of salvo love here very soon.

I'll keep trying to get a wrasse on film... which I enjoy saying because it rhymes with ass. I've got some shark footage that the video dude took earlier this week I'm slowly editing together. And some show-off scenes of me swimming around to show my mom.

Aloha and stuff,

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: The Lava Dome

Post by LCF »

Fun report, and my hat is off to you for braving the lava rocks to get in and out of the water. There's at least one site I've looked at on Maui and simply discarded, because I wasn't willing to deal with getting out.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sockmonkey wrote: I had a great day with some seriously nice people but it took me a while to let go of my pacnorwest scuba snobbery. I'm learning not to judge.
Well done Eric! =D> I am REALLY enjoying your reports / writing. Honestly! The first paragraph of your report is one of the best statements / perspectives I've read from any diver - let alone a UTD / DIR diver - on diving with folks that don't "Do It Like You Do". Well written, great attitude, well done sir! :salute:
Sockmonkey wrote: This in fact may be a tough dive report to write because I could easily slip into making fun of these folks and I really have no grounds to do so.
:thankyouyellow: =D>
Sockmonkey wrote: That doesn't mean they are unsafe divers, just different.
=D> Dude - this is awesome. I can hardly believe what I'm reading here! :partydance: I think I'll have to cue the tape of Doug calling someone a stroke just to feel "normal"!
Sockmonkey wrote: Most of the folks took a great interest in my bp/w and 7' hose. I explained the whys as best I could and I think they got it. In fact the guy who runs the shop joked about throwing an out of air at me during the dive to see it in action. I'm sorry he didn't but I know he will next time.

-Eric
I've gotten some pretty strange looks at warm water destination over the long hose and necklaced back up - at least I think that's why it was?! (Or maybe it was just me looking weird :hah: and people were laughing at the old bearded fat white guy with the slung pony and PNW whiteness :smt119 on his legs?) I still remember the dutch guy at Bari Reef calling Doug and I "Techie Boys" as we walked down the dock carrying the bottles we would be slinging. At the same time I have found that all it takes is one OOA drill and the lights start going on. It quickly makes sense to most people, and even if they choose not to dive that way they are quick to understand.

And, all of that said, I REALLY appreciate the talented pool of PNW divers that we have here, and the fact that most divers around here do tend to be more "thoughtful" about their diving in general and dive plan in particular.

Great writing, great pics, love the reports. Keep 'em coming!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Tom Nic wrote: Well done Eric! =D> I am REALLY enjoying your reports / writing. Honestly! The first paragraph of your report is one of the best statements / perspectives I've read from any diver - let alone a UTD / DIR diver - on diving with folks that don't "Do It Like You Do". Well written, great attitude, well done sir! :salute:
Hey thanks Mr. Nic... that means a lot.

My instinct is to be the dismissive elitist new yorker... but it doesn't get any more elite being the only one of something. So far living here has been an eye opener being a minority here as a scuba diver and in my honky-osity.
Tom Nic wrote:Great writing, great pics, love the reports. Keep 'em coming!
Will do... because like the man at Fort Wordan says... I've got nowhere else to go.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

keep it up, eric, and you'll have a permanent houseguest on your couch.

looks great, dude. i hate you.
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

Sockmonkey wrote: "......pacnorwest scuba snobbery......"
LOVE IT. LOL!!!

:breakdance:
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Sweet !!!! Looks like a Picaso Trigger.. I will look him up in my reef Book. The parrot fish is cool.. They have some monster teeth to eat and chew up urchins and some types of corals.. YOU ROCK !!
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Great report! Love the photos combined with the story-telling.

You've got yourself a Lei (aka Whiteline for obvious reasons) Triggerfish here...very neat!!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

The yellow tang is also a native fish there , along with Morish Idols.. And Niger triggers.. Trigger fish are my Fav.. I've kept many of them in my reef tank over the years . Thanks Mr sock monkey
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen