Discovery Bay boat trip again

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Discovery Bay boat trip again

Post by CaptnJack »

There's talk of running another NWDC boat trip to Discovery Bay for Ed's Fault and the Warhawk again. Last time we had 4ster, Pensacolaracer (or whatever he calls himself now), Boydski, DaveB, myself and I think at least 1 maybe 2 other boats (Bellingham folks?). And a whole lotta NWDC peeps aboard.

Assuming we plan this for sometime in the next couple months as a "vacation from the holidays" trip, who with a boat might be interested in coming along? IF YOU DON"T HAVE A BOAT, I WILL MAKE A LIST OF DIVERS LATER. Right now I just need a list of boats coming and capacity...

Who with a boat might wanna go and do you have any weekends you prefer?

I'll bring my boat and can hold 3 maybe 4 divers.

Cheers,
RJ
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Re: Discovery Bay boat trip again

Post by BillZ »

Count me in - I can hold 3 additional divers
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I would like to secure a seat on someone's boat if I could.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

The waters real bad right now, a few weeks sounds about right
It's a good day.... nobody died!
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Yes... Bill, you have any room :)
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Norris wrote:I would like to secure a seat on someone's boat if I could.
Rick and I are jumping the gun, but consider it jumped.... :norris:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

KneeDeep wrote:Yes... Bill, you have any room :)
Always Dude! - If somebody comes along with a pilot house that has heat and a hot water shower I may let you take my boat :) . As Richard mentioned though let's get a boat count before we assign AIS (asses in seats).
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

CaptnJack wrote:There's talk of running another NWDC boat trip to Discovery Bay for Ed's Fault and the Warhawk again. Last time we had 4ster, Pensacolaracer (or whatever he calls himself now), Boydski, DaveB, myself and I think at least 1 maybe 2 other boats (Bellingham folks?). And a whole lotta NWDC peeps aboard.

Assuming we plan this for sometime in the next couple months as a "vacation from the holidays" trip, who with a boat might be interested in coming along? IF YOU DON"T HAVE A BOAT, I WILL MAKE A LIST OF DIVERS LATER. Right now I just need a list of boats coming and capacity...

Who with a boat might wanna go and do you have any weekends you prefer?

I'll bring my boat and can hold 3 maybe 4 divers.

Cheers,
RJ
My apologies for trying to secure a seat...DUH read the whole post Rick!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I'm in. I'll have room for two more divers. Unless Spatman can actually make it, then I'll have room for one more. But then, he'll probably cancel at the last minute because of "a cold" that requires him to stay home and drink beer....Yeah, I should have room for at least two more divers.
Norris wrote:I would like to secure a seat on someone's boat if I could.

Dude, your lame Rick......
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

Count me in also.I have room for 2 more on my boat.maybe 3.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I might even com out of retirement for such a thing! But no more boat.
Last edited by Dusty2 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

We sold our boat.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:We sold our boat.
No problem you can come as a guest on mine, although you might have to put up with my strokey CCR and crappy shallow water buoyancy :p

Still looking for as many boats to join as possible, last time this was one of the best NWDC dives ever, having a sunny day that February helped!
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
jpa
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jpa »

Having never done Discovery Bay before in my current boat what are the launch options like? My boat is a 22' pig on a bunk trailer so it's not that easy to launch. What do others do? At least those with something larger than a rib on a roller trailer.
BostonWhalerSentry.png
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The only public launch is at Gardner beach road it is concrete and not bad but nothing fancy. I launched my 20' bellboy there without any problem but it was on a caulkens trailer so it wasn't all that hard to get in the water.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The Gardiner ramp is ok, better at higher tides. No dock or floats or anything like that at all. Pretty exposed to winds too. There are no other public access points in Discover Bay unfortunately so we have to work with what we got. Requires a Parks/DNR/WDFW discover pass to use and park there. ($30 yr or $10 a day)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I have relatives in the Cape George colony, and there is a boat launch there, although I don't remember the details of it. I'll check it out, and find out if we could get the use of it for launching.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
ohopdiver
Aquaphile

Post by ohopdiver »

I have 24 foot dive boat for 4 divers but can't commit yet. Cape George is private. John Wayne is 13 nmi, PT Boat Haven is 17, Edmonds 41.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cape George IS private, but as I said, my sister-in-law and some good friends live there. We have used that boat launch before, although I don't think it would probably fly to bring in a whole caravan of boats.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Gardiner is really not that big a deal folks. Plenty of parking, slope of the ramp is decent, portapotty bathroom for last minute break. Just a little bit of hassle because there's no dock.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Count me in. I can take 2 or 3 divers depending on weather conditions. I am not diving but I am happy to let people fall of the boat as long as they come back.

ORDiver and I have been running our boats out off of the Oregon Coast the last few months.
Attachments
20140524_111336.jpg
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
jpa
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jpa »

Great info everyone. I'm mainly worried about having to back down to submerged axels to get the boat off the trailer. It sounds like that might not be a problem.

I found a single picture of the launch area from the ground and it didn't look like there was much of a slope.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I don't know very many launches and WA where the axle doesn't get wet! Either of the Discovery Bay ramps will require getting most of the trailer wet.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I think he is talking about the tow vehicles axles. It isn't a very steep ramp but we always managed with my heavy ole bellboy.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

I use that launch quite a bit and if you have a long tongue on your trailer, you don't even have to get your pickup near the water. By long, I mean longer than 5'. If you don't have one this long you better have rollers on your trailer if you want to keep your pickup out of the water as this ramp is not steep as well. You can buy extensions for trailer tongues, I believe up to 2' long and put it on right before you launch. They are around $100.+
It's a good day.... nobody died!