Anybody dived Titlow recently?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Anybody dived Titlow recently?

Post by LCF »

We're supposed to be leading dives there on Tuesday, and I'm wondering what the visibility has been. I haven't been there in ages. (And I'm desperately hoping that this horrible cold I'm not enjoying will have relented a bit by then!)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Re: Anybody dived Titlow recently?

Post by mrtheandrew »

I frequently dive that site, and visibility has usually been quite good. 20-30ft or so, but seems like it can get a little hazy after a big outgoing exchange, in my experience. Ive never seen the pea soup like you get in the canal. Last time I hit titlow was two weekends ago on the high slack, and vis was 15-20ft.

Hope that helps.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Very good to hear, and thank you!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

We dive this today and vis was a hazy 10'. Better without a light. :) have fun and I hope you feel better.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, we did it today, and viz was better than that. The water in the shallows was clear, but out where the current was blowing, it probably got down to 15 feet or so. We got in at about 12:20 and we were too early . . . we fought current to the pilings, but once we got there, the current pretty much died, and stayed minimal to none for the entire rest of the dive. We saw at least three good-sized, healthy-appearing sun stars, which was cool, and the usual assortment of Buffalo sculpins, scalyheads, and crabs of all kinds. Nothing really special, but I had forgotten how much I like the site.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I need to get down there again, I haven't dived there since 'nam.
mrtheandrew
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mrtheandrew »

Dont forget to visit the ledges just downhill from the goal post pilings to the south. Sometimes there is a decently large octo under the shelves.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

mrtheandrew wrote:Dont forget to visit the ledges just downhill from the goal post pilings to the south. Sometimes there is a decently large octo under the shelves.
That's where we started our dive on Monday evening. I found two GPO's; one tucked really deep in a den and barely visible. The other was in a den that was more viewing-friendly. This octo was absolutely humongous.