Club Dive! Club Dive! Club Dive!

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
submarine
Avid Diver

Re: Club Dive! Club Dive! Club Dive!

Post by submarine »

My wife Stacy and I are planning on joining the group on Saturday. We are looking forward to meeting some new people in the diving community. Stacy is a relatively new diver so, she is the one with all the bright shiny stuff.
I have read through the posts but, it is a bit confusing on whats what with the potluck. So, what are you still in need of that we can contribute?
We are driving a white Jeep Wrangler with a black soft top. See you there!

Matt & Stacy
Matt & Stacy

Do We Dive?... Of Course!
Life Is An Adventure...
It is not the destination that is the most rewarding,
It is the journey along the way!

http://i-rv.net/gallery/main.php
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

We all are going out for (deep breath) Mac & Jacks, Manny's, Rogers, tequila, Maker's Mark, Corona, Bud Lite, Jaegermeister, or something after said diving, BBQ, etc., right?
:occasion5: :partyman:

Seems like ALL those divers in one place on a Saturday practically demands it, doesn't it?

Keith-you have a gig somewhere? I bailed out of one so I could play in the water all day and hang with divers all night.

Of course, after 3 dives, a full belly, and a couple drinks, SLEEP might be calling to me more.

I'm really excited about this weekend. Did I mention that I'm really excited about this weekend? 'Cause I'm really excited about this weekend....

:naka:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Is the BBQ a lunch thing or a dinner thing or both??

I'm up for drinks, but don't really want to park my boat in a bar parking lot in Des Moines. Or Redondo's lot for that matter.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:Is the BBQ a lunch thing or a dinner thing or both??

I'm up for drinks, but don't really want to park my boat in a bar parking lot in Des Moines. Or Redondo's lot for that matter.

i'm pretty sure it's a lunch thing. but who knows, maybe it will run til dinnertime..

i'll have to pass on the drinks. we have a loooong trip home after the diving's done.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Someone suggested the BBQ after Dive #2, which I think is a great idea. If people want to do a 3rd following that, it works fine. If later people want to go out for drinks, that works fine too. Mrs. Sounder may or may not be up for an evening out, so she and I will gauge our participation on her... but she IS known to surprise me sometimes so who knows?

Good stuff. This is going to be a lot of fun.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
submarine
Avid Diver

Post by submarine »

We were thinking buns, maybe some sodas, or a fruit platter but, a full service bar is a little over the top. :partyman:
Matt & Stacy

Do We Dive?... Of Course!
Life Is An Adventure...
It is not the destination that is the most rewarding,
It is the journey along the way!

http://i-rv.net/gallery/main.php
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

Penopolypants wrote:

Here's an updated list of who's coming and bringing what
Pez
P-Pants - grills, charcoal and grilling utensils, canopy, potato salad, ketchup and mayo, a table, stove, kettle, chicken
Mr. and Mrs. Sounder
Spatman - pasta salad
Captnjack
Fishtiq
TomNic
Bassman
Bnboly
BUZ071
Scottsax +?
Jaberjaw - hamburgers and buns, a cooler, heater, and canopy
Divernick
Zen Diver2 – one-handed non-diver - plates and utensils
Sheri
TCWestby?+?
jcander
rachel
aquachic - dessert-like thingy

I'll bring a couple bags of potato chips to share.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

I could bring my world famous "stuffed snickers" if anyone would like. I take snicker bars, cut them into bite sized pieces, and stuff them with pez candy. They're delicious!! Of course, you might have diabetes when you're done, but hey, you only live once.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Fishstiq wrote:I could bring my world famous "stuffed snickers" if anyone would like. I take snicker bars, cut them into bite sized pieces, and stuff them with pez candy. They're delicious!! Of course, you might have diabetes when you're done, but hey, you only live once.
#-o I don't think your Mother would approve!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:
Fishstiq wrote:I could bring my world famous "stuffed snickers" if anyone would like. I take snicker bars, cut them into bite sized pieces, and stuff them with pez candy. They're delicious!! Of course, you might have diabetes when you're done, but hey, you only live once.
#-o I don't think your Mother would approve!
Look, what ever Pez stuffs inside snickers bars is his business... and it should probably be kept his business. Seems you two have become rather creative now that you've discovered "man-scaping!" :bootyshake:

Ok, I think "stuffed snickers" sounds like a great party treat. A fun party game could be "stuffed Pez" - we feed him snickers bars until he ralphs! :vom: \:D/ YEAH!! I WIN!! :bounce: Ok, who's next to play "stuff Pez?!" \:D/
nwnick
Getting To Know Folks

Post by nwnick »

So I just heard about this thing from Sounder (he saw my post on SB) - anything I should bring? I'd love to come. Just moved into the area last week and haven't dove up here yet - I hope the diving lives up to my expectations :)

-Nick
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

nwnick wrote:So I just heard about this thing from Sounder (he saw my post on SB) - anything I should bring? I'd love to come. Just moved into the area last week and haven't dove up here yet - I hope the diving lives up to my expectations :)

-Nick
Sweet!! Do you know where you're going? If not, we can get you directions... probably should post them anyway for some of the OR folks. I don't have time now, but will tomorrow unless someone gets to it first.

What kind of exposure protection do you have Nick? You'll definitely need AT LEAST a 7mm wetsuit with hood & gloves... bring plenty of hot water with you and a dry change of warm clothes too... you'll be chilly. This water is some of the coldest we get. If you're diving dry, you should be in good shape.

We'll make sure you're paired with someone who knows the site and who is experienced... we call them "big buddies."

Glad you can make it and glad you found us!!

-Doug
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

nwnick wrote:So I just heard about this thing from Sounder (he saw my post on SB) - anything I should bring? I'd love to come. Just moved into the area last week and haven't dove up here yet - I hope the diving lives up to my expectations :)

-Nick
Welcome Nick! If the diving at Redondo doesn't live up to your expectations, we'll find a site around here that does! :)

In addition to what Sounder mentions, you should bring a chair, a beverage, and maybe something for the grill (hot dogs or sausages?), or a side dish, like chips or cookies. There's a list earlier in the thread about who's bringing what already.

Meet time is 9-ish, with splash around 10. Here's a map from I-5:

http://pnwscuba.com/sitemaps/redondobeachmap.gif

There's a big pay lot across the street from the pier, that's where most of us will be. It's $5 for the day, or there is free street parking around the lot. I drive a blue subaru outback sport and have an apparently blinding green and black dry suit. Sounder, bring your shades. Sounder drives a beat up gray toyota pickup. Spatman drives a silver subaru outback. I forget what Greg drives but it's large, and he and I should be next to each other and we'll have canopies set up.

This may seem like a lot of info, but there are sometimes several classes at Redondo with similar setups.

See you there!

-P
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
nwnick
Getting To Know Folks

Post by nwnick »

Awesome - I was really hoping I'd get up here and find a welcoming group of divers. Last couple of places I've been it's been hard to find buddies (Charleston, SC and Connecticut). Did some good warm water diving in SC, and was just getting into cave diving (only intro) when I had to leave for Connecticut. Did some diving up in Rhode Island while I was there - not too bad.

I'm good on exposure protection. Even decided today that I was sick of cold hands so I picked up some dry gloves (I'm a huge wuss). So I'll be diving with a bit of new gear. I just have a pretty basic all black trilam and I should be driving a red Saturn Vue (it's my wife's... traded my truck for it for the gas mileage... sigh...)

Anyway, I apologize for the rambling. I'll either bring some beer brats (you folks up here like those, right?) or some chips or cookies or something.

See you all this weekend - looking forward to it.

-Nick

Edit: I'll be able to find it - thanks for the map penopolypants.
jcander
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jcander »

Rachel and I will be staying for a second (and possibly a third) dive. I'm happy to bring up brats; is someone bringing a grill?

Also, is anyone nominally in charge of this and if so can you please PM me with your cell number? Thanks and I look forward to meeting everyone on Saturday.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

jcander wrote:Rachel and I will be staying for a second (and possibly a third) dive. I'm happy to bring up brats; is someone bringing a grill?

Also, is anyone nominally in charge of this and if so can you please PM me with your cell number? Thanks and I look forward to meeting everyone on Saturday.
I'm bringing two smokey joe type grills.

Speaking of grilling, if anyone is a vegetarian and will be grilling boca burgers or veggie stuff, please let me know before the grilling begins so you don't have to cook on a meaty grill. We'll have two so it wouldn't be an issue.

I have developed a nasty cold.....please keep your fingers crossed that it's gone by Saturday! I"ll be bringing stuff anyway regardless of whether or not my sinuses will allow me to dive.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Penopolypants wrote:
jcander wrote:Rachel and I will be staying for a second (and possibly a third) dive. I'm happy to bring up brats; is someone bringing a grill?

I'm bringing two smokey joe type grills.

Speaking of grilling, if anyone is a vegetarian and will be grilling boca burgers or veggie stuff, please let me know before the grilling begins so you don't have to cook on a meaty grill. We'll have two so it wouldn't be an issue.

I have developed a nasty cold.....please keep your fingers crossed that it's gone by Saturday! I"ll be bringing stuff anyway regardless of whether or not my sinuses will allow me to dive.
If you can't dive you can help Bassman schlep my gear around.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

scottsax wrote: Keith-you have a gig somewhere? I bailed out of one so I could play in the water all day and hang with divers all night.
I'm working Friday nigt and Saturday night, So I'm not sure if I will be able to stop by. I'll throw my gear in my truck just in case I can leave work early and get a few ZZZ's in.

If nothing else, I'll stop by to say :hello2:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

BASSMAN wrote:
scottsax wrote: Keith-you have a gig somewhere? I bailed out of one so I could play in the water all day and hang with divers all night.
I'm working Friday nigt and Saturday night, So I'm not sure if I will be able to stop by. I'll throw my gear in my truck just in case I can leave work early and get a few ZZZ's in.

Well, if you don't make it we'll miss you. Ppants will have a heck of a time schlepping all my gear herself, but I'm sure she'll manage. If you're trying to sleep, be sure to close your blinds - Ppants will have her drysuit out in the sun so the glare might keep you up, even miles away at your house.

There will be other club dives coming up too, so we'll catch you on one the next one!!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Sounder wrote:
Wow, you sure do know how to motivate a girl! :bootyshake:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Penopolypants wrote:
Sounder wrote:
Wow, you sure do know how to motivate a girl! :bootyshake:
Get well soon. :violent2:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

BASSMAN wrote:

I try not to gig on weekends I dive. And vice-versa. The potential for one screwing up the other is just too great. (Whaddya mean, all that booze could contribute to DCS?) One of my bands, which actually has 5 divers in it, has a "no extreme sports on show days" rule. Of course, on our trip to San Diego in May, I'm going to try to get in a kelp forest dive the night before or morning of the show. Screw rules like that when you have a chance to dive there!

:supz:

Rest up, and come on down for the BBQ at least...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Just found out this evening that the three of us will be able to make it, as well. That's me, dwashbur, my daughter, chenari, and my wife, who doesn't have a name here so we'll just call her the good-looking member of the family =D> I don't know at this point what we can bring, but I can say with confidence that we'll do our best not to show up empty-handed.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Afterthoughts:

We'll be in a dark green Ford Windstar with Idaho plates. The plates make us pretty easy to spot.

What's the "little buddy" "big buddy" thing? Pardon the newbie ignorance...
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dwashbur wrote:Afterthoughts:

We'll be in a dark green Ford Windstar with Idaho plates. The plates make us pretty easy to spot.

What's the "little buddy" "big buddy" thing? Pardon the newbie ignorance...
It's sort of a sexual "master-slave" kind of paradigm, I think.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."