Clear Lake - July 12th

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Re: Clear Lake - July 12th

Post by airsix »

Scubagirl45 wrote:Yep, 5 am would be about right. I'm dedicated, huh (or crazy, the jury's still out)? What do you say Ben, are you up for diving in some really clear water on Saturday???
Well... Clear Lake is on my to-do list, but I'm going to pass this time. Not afraid of the cold or even the 5:00am departure, but Clear Lake is farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr away. With the baby only a month old it's too early for me to run off to play yet. Thanks for the invite though.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Scubagirl45 wrote:Yay!!! Something good just happened! My friend picked up my new Apeks regs (2 xtx50's) from the dive shop today and just now delivered them to me! Looks like I'm diving with new regs on Saturday!!! :supz:
I've got your spg if someone from around here could manage to swing by my house before then. Otherwise we'll add it on your next Seattle trip.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Scubagirl45 wrote:Yay!!! Something good just happened! My friend picked up my new Apeks regs (2 xtx50's) from the dive shop today and just now delivered them to me! Looks like I'm diving with new regs on Saturday!!! :supz:
awesome!! so it's 2 xtx50s as your second stages and a new 1st stage i assume?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
spatman wrote:
awesome!! so it's 2 xtx50s as your second stages and a new 1st stage i assume?
Right you are! It was supposed to be an xtx20 as my octo, but they didn't have stock and substituted another xtx 50, so I got an even better deal than I originally expected!
i'm so totally jealous!
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

narcosis Junky wrote:scubalance = scuba ambulance. readyto save you if you need a ride to go scuba diving duh! :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :partyman: :partyman: :supz: :supz: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:

Exactly! I bought a retired ambulance to use as a dedicated scuba vehicle. Fuel mileage is not the greatest but the room and ease of cleanup is amazing. :smt038

I do not have an oxygen tank installed yet but I'm looking.
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"It was awesome until the point where Bono endorsed it." Fishstiq

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

billandwende wrote:
narcosis Junky wrote:scubalance = scuba ambulance. readyto save you if you need a ride to go scuba diving duh! :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :partyman: :partyman: :supz: :supz: :violent1: :violent1: :violent1:

Exactly! I bought a retired ambulance to use as a dedicated scuba vehicle. Fuel mileage is not the greatest but the room and ease of cleanup is amazing. :smt038

I do not have an oxygen tank installed yet but I'm looking.
Wow. I still want to see pictures. I'm not sure it'd be for me - the Sounder mobile works well (1994 Toyota p/u with faded paint but with a perfectly maintained purring engine) for now. Mrs. Sounder says the new 4Runner will be used for SOME diving once the boy comes, but with it I'm going to take a page out of the Monterey crew's book of getting an "X-table" from HomeDepot to don/doff gear on.
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

Ill post picture tomorrow. I don't really have any so when I get a second Ill take some.

Still looking to share a ride with someone. Scubagirl45 do you still need a ride? :dontknow:

It seems a waste of fuel to me to go alone. [-X

My start is in Olympia so if your in Washington and don't want to drive that far this is your chance. \:D/

And as I am going anyway I do not expect you to pay anything. This is just a free ride to what looks to be a great day. :occasion5:

I'm leaving for work now so I'll check back in the AM
"I seek out more experienced divers who are willing to dive with me, and I buy them beer." :snorkel:

"Anyone know a good direction to point me in so i can figure out exactly what i have?" kat
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

the scuba-u-lance
follow me I'm going diving
follow me I'm going diving
its very tall
its very tall
the scuba-u-lance;  this thing is stuffed with dive gear
the scuba-u-lance; this thing is stuffed with dive gear
Last edited by nice-diver on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

the visibility was great yesterday, ranging from 50-100' and was a real change from diving the sound and hood canal. but as far as clear lake goes, it was not as spectacular as usual, which can run up to 300' or more (or so i'm told). i'll definitely have to go back to see it in it's primo form.

the day was fun, with several NWDC divers showing up. it was great to meet nice-diver and narcosis junky and his wife for the first time. and also good to see a few familiar faces.

the water was clear but very cold. my first dive registered 39F on my computer and the second at 42F. the first one was so cold because i got very close to one of the underground springs that feed the lake, and felt the temp drop as i got within 10' or so.

there's barely any life in the lake, though we did see a few trout here and there. the lake itself is almost like another planet, with light gray ash covering the lake bed which can easily be disturbed and create huge clouds if not careful. a few sparse fallen logs are scattered about and still standing trees rise up from the floor to just under the surface of the lake. swaths of bright green algae carpet large portions of the bottom, and the springs that feed the lake can be found here and there, often in small depressions in the lakebed.

certainly a very unique diving experience, and one i recommend if you can make it there.

a few pics below, and the rest of mine can be found here. not my best day with the camera, but some are ok. i'm looking forward to seeing nice-diver's and narcosis junky's pics, so please give us some links, fellas!
divernick
divernick
nice-diver, narcosis junky and his wife approaching
nice-diver, narcosis junky and his wife approaching
the treeline from 50ffw
the treeline from 50ffw
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

high cascades wreck dive

narcosis junky and nice-diver; photo taken by sexy-cyn (narcosis junkies wife)

its best to choose a buddy with the same breathing pattern

northwest end of clear lake, its like diving on the surface of the moon in the spring

straight out of the camera, no post processing

northeast?side of the lake, 38ffw, lots of sunny viz

self explanatory, luv ya buddy

follow the leader to the "blue hole"

the "blue hole" is a spring that forms a short river that is the main source of the lake; the headwaters of the McKenzie River

the blue hole

where'd my buddies go? the viz was like 80feet

Clear Lake, west end at the resort, todays nw dive club dive site

to see more of my pictures, click on the flickr.com link in my signature
i flickr

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
billandwende
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by billandwende »

Awesome pics.

I had a great time and hope to do this again sometime. Perhaps a winter dive?

This was the farthest I've driven the diveulance so far and it was painful to the pocketbook. Fuel cost $4.59 per gallon @ 42 gallons used $192.78 and I feel it was worth it. Good diving, great visibility, incredible hosts. This should be on everyones bucket list.

Thanks again, Bill

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nice-diver wrote:to see more of my pictures, click on the flickr.com link in my signature
awesome pics, nice-diver! i especially like this one (mostly because i'm in it. \:D/ )
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

Bill: i like the diveulance, it rolls off the tongue easier than scubulance

Matt: I am glad I got a shot with you two in it, with all the others in the water this weekend

I had a great time, the people I have met in person in this club are good people
i flickr

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:Image
Matt - I can pick out EXACTLY who you are in this picture!! Congrats buddy, you've come a LONG way in a few short months!! =D> :supz: Course, :smt064 is that Penelope next to you with her fins tips down?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:
Matt - I can pick out EXACTLY who you are in this picture!! Congrats buddy, you've come a LONG way in a few short months!! =D> :supz: Course, :smt064 is that Penelope next to you with her fins tips down?
thanks, man, but yeah, i know... actually that's divernick with the most excellent trim!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
Sounder wrote:
actually that's divernick with the most excellent trim!
:supz:
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

Actually, on the far right of the photo is my wife Cynthia then Me in the bright yellow fins and then every body else in the back ground. Check out my pics on flicker, and you will find much up close pics.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

the whole photo progression is actually pretty funny.

here's a photo i took of yann, jeff, and cynthia approaching me and nick:

here's yann's photo of me and nick:

here's jeff's photo of yann taking a pic of me and nick:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hey! whear is all the fish? :dontknow:
I guess with vis like that, who cares, right?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
bugleman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bugleman »

Oh goodness!

It sounds like you guys had a great time there!

I wanted to dive Clearlake after seeing the OPB episode but your pictures blows thier cinima photography away. That dive site looks incredible. Looking at the pics I can only say - I want to be there! :thumb3d:

Kevin
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

Let me know, I will take you there. I dive it all year long. winter, summer it don't matter. Looking at your pics, we can talk about hunting

yann
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

narcosis Junky wrote:Let me know, I will take you there. I dive it all year long. winter, summer it don't matter. Looking at your pics, we can talk about hunting

yann

yann! what is up! long time no see, amigo.
bugleman
Frequent Bubbler

Post by bugleman »

narcosis Junky wrote:Let me know, I will take you there. I dive it all year long. winter, summer it don't matter. Looking at your pics, we can talk about hunting

yann
Tapping finger tips together Bugleman says ,"Eeexxcccelllllennnnnttt".

What pics did you look at?

Kevin
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

spatman wrote:

yann

What's up.

I have been diving a lot locally and on the coast. On and off when the viz isn't to bad.

How you doin

yann! what is up! long time no see, amigo.
RenaB
Aquaphile

Post by RenaB »

OK, so I am taking my Naui class to be completely certed in March. I would like to go on the next trip. I am close to the mountain. :)
Rena

Drink water, breathe air. Never get these mixed up.